Author Topic: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 81902 times)

milowebailey

Re: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »
I have a question regarding using a hottop to profile (or get close) to what my Ambex will do.

I've been thinking about the roast profile time.

The hottop takes 20 - 24 minutes for a roast.

Typically I roast on the Ambex 12 - 15 minutes.

Is there a relationship between the two that I should consider? 

cfsheridan

« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »
I have a question regarding using a hottop to profile (or get close) to what my Ambex will do.

Drop the batch size and up the preheat on the hottop.  Stay ~200-230g, and get the stock backwall thermocouple to ~250-265.  Roasts should then be in the 14-15 min range.  Proliles on my hottop are comparable (even more so with less batch size) to a YM-2.

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2009, 09:36:53 PM »

~~~~Milow,  FWIW, I'm roasting exclusively on a newer Hot Top B model.  It takes me approx. 14 mintues to get 250 grams of green beans into 2nd crack then dumping the roast to cool

More often than not, I add my 250 grams of beans as soon as the pre-heat cycle ends, so there is approx. 18 minutes on the countdown timer and 165 degrees F showing on the Hot Top's digital display.  Looking at my roast log, most roasts are finished with about 4 minutes left on the display

Jake
Reddick Fla.
If he's got golf clubs in his truck or a camper in his driveway, I don't hire him.
--Lou Holtz, football coach

milowebailey

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2009, 09:58:17 PM »
Hmmm, maybe my heating element needs to be replaced.  Most of the time with 250 grams I barely get to half way into 1st crack at 18 minutes.. have to push add time and normally hit 2nd right at the buzzer (30 seconds left)...  Now with the milowidget I have way more control and can get it done in about 17 minutes.  

Mine is the old digital model.. and I've been using the factory controller because I want to replace the thermocouples with better ones for the milowidget version.. haven't gotten around to it....  and brought the Hottop up to the cabin for weekend sample roasting.

Maybe it's time to finish that project up.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:00:49 PM by milowebailey »

Steve7

« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2009, 02:15:49 AM »
Like shakin Jake, I conclude my roasting business anywhere from 6 to about 4 mins left on my timer (adding at 18mins).

Buy a new element and keep under 250g to get the best out of the batch.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2009, 06:56:45 AM »
Yup, new heating element.

cfsheridan

« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2009, 07:31:30 AM »
Yup, new heating element.

+1

You should be to 1st well before 18m with 250g.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »
I am usually just skimming the margins of 2c by 16:30 mins on my 2 year old P model. 250g added at the beginning of the "add beans" beeps.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2009, 06:53:34 PM »
I know this has been discussed before but I just wanted to mention to Milow, since he didn't say how many volts he has at this outlet when roasting (just that he thinks his heater element is suspect)...Ideally, you want 120 volts when the roaster heater is at full ouput

This is easy to check with a multimeter that has an AC volt meter (most do).  Most plug ins (electrical outlets) have two receptacles, so your roaster is plugged into one, probe the other with your AC voltmeter 

Jake
Reddick Fla.
It is inexcusable for scientists to torture animals; let them make their experiments on journalists and politicians.

GC7

« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2009, 07:10:29 PM »
I've been getting my best results lately using 225 gm batches.

I set the time to max (25 minutes) on the profile and dump/add the beans at 23 minutes (two minutes after the auto profile).  The temp generally reads about 265* or so.  I immediately lower the heat to 80% to dry at a bit lower heat levels.  At 325* I run the fan at 75% for 30 seconds and then lower to 25% for the rest of the roast.  At the same time I increase the heat to 100% until about 380* or so when I lower the heat to 70% until start of first crack which is usually about 12 minutes after I dump the beans (11 minutes left on the clock).  As first get strong I lower heat again to about 50% to extend first crack and the time to second.  I then dump the beans to cool at the desired roast level.  Sometimes I will increase heat to get to second crack at the desired time of about 4 minutes after the start of first crack.

Works for me.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:15:49 PM by GC7 »

milowebailey

« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »
I emailed Hottop USA today and after a volley of emails they suggest replacing the heating element and temperature sensor.  I guess I'll order those tomorrow.

Anyone ever changed the heating element?  Any tips?

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »
I emailed Hottop USA today and after a volley of emails they suggest replacing the heating element and temperature sensor.  I guess I'll order those tomorrow.

It's easy, I've done it once before. I think there is a link floating around on Hottop's website somewhere.

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »

It's easy, I've done it once before. I think there is a link floating around on Hottop's website somewhere.
[/quot

Once you take the back panel off its just to screws holding it in place
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

milowebailey

« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2009, 02:00:19 PM »
The parts should be here today.  Hottop sent me a link to the instructions.

thanks for the help!!

Milowebailey

Offline George Coury

• Standard User
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »
I've had a programmable hottop for almost 2 years now which I bought directly from them. I have had to replace several items. I am only roasting for myself so it is not getting anything but light use. Now my LCD screen is going bad and half the information is unreadable. I note Larry's issues with the heating element on his older machine. Those of you with hottops, have you been happy with the reliability? I am becoming increasingly disappointed with it's electronics. I am wondering if this is par for this machine or have I got a lemon?