Author Topic: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 84374 times)

milowebailey

Re: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #165 on: September 09, 2010, 01:58:45 PM »
Last batch: 09/05/10; 300 grams of Brazil Sul de Minas Canaan Estates

Target 424°F
Dumped @170°F / 100% power / 18:00 minutes showing
    Fan on 25% / @ 258°F / 14:30 - 14:00 to dry roast chamber
    Fan on 50% / @ 325°F / 11:50 for duration of roast
Power dropped to 50% @ 400°F / 6:15
1st crack @ 5:38 / 403°F (12:22 from dump to 1st crack)
2nd crack @ 3:36 / 419°F (2:02 from start of 1st crack to start of 2nd crack)
Ejected @ 421° (5 seconds into 2nd crack)

Results: Full City +, w/no oil showing 3 days after roast. Great in vac pot - lots of citrus & sweetness. So-so in espresso - not enough sweetness; maybe a little darker next time or blend with RSB?

I've found the Sol de Minas is better after 5 days... give it some time and report back ;D

Tex

« Reply #166 on: September 09, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »
One of the reasons I got rid of the Sono was because I wasn't drinking a full batch (1.4 lbs) before it got stale. Now that I've got my Hottop I'm roasting 300 grams twice a week (1.2 lbs). Maybe I just didn't like what I was getting from the Sono, so I was drinking less coffee?

I do know that I'm enjoying the results of my roasting a lot more now.

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2010, 06:23:37 AM »
Variac question. When finished using the variac does it need to be unplugged. I have read both opinions on unplugging it and just switching it to the off position. Does it draw power in the off position or pose an electrical hazard. Any help appreciated.

Mike
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

milowebailey

« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2010, 06:25:03 AM »
Variac question. When finished using the variac does it need to be unplugged. I have read both opinions on unplugging it and just switching it to the off position. Does it draw power in the off position or pose an electrical hazard. Any help appreciated.

Mike
It's not a bad idea to unplug it IMO.  It should not pull current if off, but you never know.  Better safe then sorry.

Tex

« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2010, 10:21:45 AM »

Mike

Out of curiosity, I plugged my variac into a Kill-a-watt: No power is flowing, so off is off.

A mechanical switch can go bad, but not on its own as it sits idle. I have this argument with Mrs T all the time; a mechanical switch goes bad as it's flipped on and off, there's no way one is going to magically jump from an off-state to an on-state - it just doesn't happen that way!

edited: My variac has a light indicating when it's turned ON; does yours?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:24:09 AM by Tex »

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »

Mike

Out of curiosity, I plugged my variac into a Kill-a-watt: No power is flowing, so off is off.

A mechanical switch can go bad, but not on its own as it sits idle. I have this argument with Mrs T all the time; a mechanical switch goes bad as it's flipped on and off, there's no way one is going to magically jump from an off-state to an on-state - it just doesn't happen that way!

No, it just has a toggle switch for on and off.
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

Tex

« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2010, 01:13:45 PM »

Mike

No, it just has a toggle switch for on and off.

If you're concerned about leaving it on, it'd be very easy to add a warning light - simply drill a hole and mount a panel-mount light wired to the switch.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2011, 05:37:54 AM »
I have a couple simple questions that are probably answered in the instructions but the layout of these instructions is not working for me....  :-X

Why do I have two different colored back filters?
When should I replace either/both filters?
What are the load parameters? Is it 250G without fail or is there some wiggle room worth knowing about?

I've tried 5 times to look at the book to scan for this info but it's organized more  like a novel or something and not like a step by step instruction book. I'm going to have to sit down and read the thing at some point but apparently I have attention problems.  :-X
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2011, 06:06:40 AM »
... I'm going to have to sit down and read the thing at some point but apparently I have attention problems.  :-X

This is a disorder where the ability to stay with a theme is involuntarily interrupted; a cognitive disconnect, so to speak.  It is curable.  The disorder is knows as IHAFTMT, pronounced eye-half-tumt, meaning, "I hijack a few too many threads." Therapists often use cognitive behavior therapy CBT) for it.

A crash approach to CBT is SOT - stay on track.

B|T'erapy <grins>
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:10:11 AM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2011, 06:20:32 AM »
I need bullet points and defined sections..

Any more if I am reading an email or letter that does not get to the point in 5-6 lines of text I just abort.

But hijacks are fine as long as there are fun things to see along the way until we get back to the trail.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

cfsheridan

« Reply #175 on: February 04, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »
Two filters must be a new thing--I've not seen it.

I think 250g is too much; I've had better results with 228g or less.

As for a simple profile: here's a start

Without adding thermocouples (which I recommend doing <g>), you'll want to preheat to higher than what the panel will tell you is the drop in point.

Figure about 250-300 on the panel reading, if the roaster is already warmed up.

Full power, fan 1 for ~2-3 min, then bump the fan up to 2 and keep it there.

Somewhere in the 350-375 range on the roaster, you'll want to back off on the heat to give a slower ramp into 1st.  I gauge it on my ET probe, and start slowing down to keep a steady ET.

When 1st hits, you should be riding 5-6 (+1 -2) on the heat, depending on the level of the roast you like, shooting for about 4-5 minutes from start of 1st to the end of roast no matter what the roast level.

You can also see what Hottop has posted on profiles here: http://www.hottopusa.com/profile.pdf

Tex

« Reply #176 on: February 04, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
I have a couple simple questions that are probably answered in the instructions but the layout of these instructions is not working for me....  :-X

What are the load parameters? Is it 250G without fail or is there some wiggle room worth knowing about?

I've tried 5 times to look at the book to scan for this info but it's organized more  like a novel or something and not like a step by step instruction book. I'm going to have to sit down and read the thing at some point but apparently I have attention problems.  :-X

Filter use

Mine came with an extra filter too - you can keep on roasting while you're soaking/cleaning the dirty one.

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #177 on: February 04, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »
John,  Chad gave you some good recommendations on how to use the Hot Top, if you have it wired w/another temp probe or two.  Quite a few Hot Top users roll with a seperate (aftermarket) bean mass temp probe and also their own environmental probe.  But if you are running it stock like I have been with mine (for the past 300 roasts) you can successfully run with the default profile albeit with a few tweaks.  Like Chad, I wait for the temp to run up to around 230-240 before I drop my beans which equates to 16:30 on the time clock.  For 90% of the beans I roast I'm using the default heater profile and like it fine.  I also run the fan on 25% for the entire roast after it hits 325 degrees.  If it's cold in the garage (where I roast) or I have a slow stubborn bean, like Peter's Lintong, I may add time to the end of the roaster so I can hit 2nd crack.

99% of the time I start out w/280 grams of green beans in my drum.  I get a nice even roast.  What I do with the rear filters is rotate them.  I run one for 10 roasts then remove it and put a fresh filter in, and soak the dirty filter in a TSP/hot water solution.  Also, when I clean the air filter (every 10 roasts) I also soak the cooling tray, front sight glass and the bean chute cover in the TSP solution.  All of it is in a 4/5 gallon plastic bucket and fits nicely

When cleaning the air filter, all I do is let it soak about for 10 minutes, swish it by hand in the solution then run it through clear water to rinse it then let it air dry.  You'll know when to replace and you'll have plenty of warning to enable you to order spares.  Which reminds me, I need to order the small filter on top of the roaster, mine is shot

I personally didn't get involved adding temp probes to my roaster.  In my experience (300 roasts) my Hot Top B model roasts fine as delivered.  I only roast so I can drink and pull tasty espresso shots, like this one on the Salvatore One Black HX I used to own

I can pull shots that taste as good as this one looks using the Hot Top default controls.  About this pic...bean is the Bali BM Draagoth distributed last year.  I took it into the front of 2nd crack.  The bottomless PF I had just drilled using a 2.25" holesaw and hadn't at time of the photo, finished clean the sharp edges of the cut.  This was literally my first pic using a bottomless PF.  At the risk of patting myself on the back, I'd say I have a pretty good handle on the PF side of espresso making (tamp and grind).  I've since cleaned up the jagged edges of the PF using a flat and round tail file, some emery paper too, then i went to work on the chrome plating using NEVR-DULL Magic Wadding Polish to remove the TSP stains           

Jake
Reddick Fla.
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” -Dr. Suess

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #178 on: February 04, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »
I will respond more when I get home but why a white and a black filter?

I'm not sure when to use either.

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #179 on: February 04, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »
I will respond more when I get home but why a white and a black filter?

I'm not sure when to use either.

Black when roasting at night; white during day?

B|Java