Author Topic: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 84329 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #180 on: February 04, 2011, 10:02:26 AM »
Black for covert roasts.
 8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
Black for covert roasts.
 8)

Nah, that's when you use the camo filter. You did receive a camo filter, didn't you? ???

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #182 on: February 04, 2011, 10:26:26 AM »
 Now I want to shoot off an email to score a silencer filter and an emerg self destruct filter in case my hide out gets compromised.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2011, 10:26:40 AM »
So these two filters look different in colour but are the same filter shape and meant to be used in front of the rear fan right John?  Perhaps the vendor that builds the filter for Hot Top (or they manufacture it themselves), had different coloured material when manufacturing on different days.  If it's the same filter it really doesn't matter what colour it is.  I've heard of peeps using the Hot Top and not running the filter.  Me personally, I want to use the filter so the fan blades don't get mucked up from roast smoke detritus, plus the filter slows the roast down by regulating air flow out of the roaster (rear fan area)

now there is a seperate smaller filter used on top of the roaster...is that what you are referring to?

Jake
Reddick Fla.
I may not agree with what you say...
but if you say it with fewer words I'll try harder...  

I will respond more when I get home but why a white and a black filter?

I'm not sure when to use either.

BoldJava

« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
Now I want to shoot off an email to score a silencer filter and an emerg self destruct filter in case my hide out gets compromised.

Awh, man, the guy is 'jacking his own thread!

B|Java

Tex

« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
So these two filters look different in colour but are the same filter shape and meant to be used in front of the rear fan right John?  Perhaps the vendor that builds the filter for Hot Top (or they manufacture it themselves), had different coloured material when manufacturing on different days.  If it's the same filter it really doesn't matter what colour it is.  I've heard of peeps using the Hot Top and not running the filter.  Me personally, I want to use the filter so the fan blades don't get mucked up from roast smoke detritus, plus the filter slows the roast down by regulating air flow out of the roaster (rear fan area)

now there is a seperate smaller filter used on top of the roaster...is that what you are referring to?

Jake
Reddick Fla.
I may not agree with what you say...
but if you say it with fewer words I'll try harder...  

I will respond more when I get home but why a white and a black filter?

I'm not sure when to use either.

Sounds like so much China-apologist BS Jake - most likely the manufacturer ran out of the clean white plastic and substituted the toxic-laden black stuff. :o

Have you registered as a Chinese lobbyist with Mr Obama's administration yet Jake? ;)

Tex

« Reply #186 on: February 04, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »

B|Java

OCD hijacker? The man just can't help himself! :angel:

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2011, 10:41:27 AM »
Might as well have fun while we wait for somebody that knows...
 ;)

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2011, 10:42:38 AM »
Might as well have fun while we wait for somebody that knows...
 ;)

+1
Pay the man Shirley!

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »

~~~this is not John's thread.  This is the Hot Top thread so to all, please keep replies related to the discussion of the Hot Top Roaster. 

Jake
Reddick Fla.

B|Java

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
I've been too lazy to add a TC to the bean mass but after trying
every which way from various forums on profiles for the HT B,
there are prob too many variables (voltage, weather...) and
I've finally settled on one profile that seems to work very
consistently for me, minor changes for different types of beans.

What worked well for others did not work well for me and what
works well for me unfor may not work well for you neither.  Also, I've replaced
the rear filter's white element w/ 2 computer fan metal filters (per Randy G), keeping
the black element, best I can tell, it flows more than the white element.

That said, here goes nothing...

- max time, max temp
- preheat to ~300F on HT display (typically at 22' remaining, otherwise I dump beans at nearest 30 secs interval
  for ease of log)
- dump 230g of beans
- Power 10, Fan 0 to start til about 3 mins into the roast or when I smell grassiness, then Fan to 1
- lower Power to 7 at 370-375F, depending on beans and past roast logs
- lower Power to 5 at 380-385, again depending on past roast logs
- Fan to 2 when too much smoke thru the top filter or when I want to slow down the heat additionally
- depends on the beans, may or may not increase Power to 8 near end of 1st Crack
- Eject based on either time, appearance, outlier of 2nd Crack or when it starts producing lots of smoke,
  again, this is based on past roast logs of same beans
- usually Eject around 14:30 - 15:30 minutes of roast time
- use a small house fan directed at the cooling tray

The above has produced the least (or close to zero) amount of tippings, divots and the best even color and bean expansion.

YMWV (your mileage will vary)

Tex

« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »

~~~this is not John's thread.  This is the Hot Top thread so to all, please keep replies related to the discussion of the Hot Top Roaster. 

Jake
Reddick Fla.

B|Java

\\:=|

GC7

« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2011, 11:50:37 AM »
John

This recent thread has several hottop profiles and tips that may help you.  Mine is included.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=10720.0

In my experience, lower loads and using less than full power (10) allows quick enough roast times AND low enough environmental temperatures to evenly roast without defects. YMMV.

edit - filters- I have three that I rotate for about 20 roasts each at whcih time I put the dirty one in a hot calfeza espresso detergent solution for about 15 minutes.  Wash well with clean water and dry.  They last through quite a few washings.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:57:23 PM by GC7 »

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #193 on: February 04, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »
I have a couple simple questions that are probably answered in the instructions but the layout of these instructions is not working for me....  :-X

Why do I have two different colored back filters?
When should I replace either/both filters?
What are the load parameters? Is it 250G without fail or is there some wiggle room worth knowing about?

I've tried 5 times to look at the book to scan for this info but it's organized more  like a novel or something and not like a step by step instruction book. I'm going to have to sit down and read the thing at some point but apparently I have attention problems.  :-X

I only have black filters. I rarely replace them, I've got hundreds and hundreds of roast on this bad boy and I basically use the same two back filters all the time. After one of them gets some accumulated roast deposits I take the filter to the sink and carefully apply some liquid soap then carefully scrub gently with my fingers and wash carefully under the cold water tap. Then it leans against the sink to dry.

I use 250gms. It's actually a decent amount as 2 x 250gm batches will roast out to approx 1lb.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #194 on: February 04, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »
This was literally my first pic using a bottomless PF. 

That's pretty good if you ask me.

You had some early sprayers but everything pulled together very nicely in the shot.

My first few taught me I needed some distribution work I previously had no idea (how could I) that I needed to do.

On the added temp probes...

I won't need them. If I had to correlate this roaster to some other roaster I might but I don't plan on doing that. I can learn in a few roasts what the readings mean to this roaster and for my uses don't need to know if the temp actual is off by Xx degrees. I used to geek out on stuff like that but now I read over all the suggestions and what stands out to me looks like this to my mind...

Notes to self
Try batch sizes 220-260G and see what happens.
Dump in at higher temps than the preset suggests.
Slow down the heat before hitting 1st crack..
Experiment with fan for start of 1st crack but killing it between vs running fan from 350 degrees on.

That is sort of where I'll start either tomorrow or Sunday.

One thing I missed was about the top filter...

Do you guys wash that one too or just replace it after x roasts?

Lee Morrison