Author Topic: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 84407 times)

smico

Re: Hottop Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #225 on: March 07, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »
Just to share my current solution with the teflon tape.  I rolled several layers of the tape around the edges of the cap so that part of the teflon tape is under the cap and makes it air tight.Thanks rarebear to let me know that teflon is not healthy on hight temperatures.  Therefore I removed teflon, and use silicone baking sheet.

Also, I measure ET throgh the chute. 
Teflon tape on the thermocouple, as well as part of pencil, insulates thermocouple from the hot metal.  If thin thermocouple touches the hot metal it shows wrong temperature due to fast heat distribution to the thermocouple.

I like the fact that thin (1/8") thermocouple is much more responsive than more sturdy one (1/4") that I have in my permanent back-wall installation.  I will be using those inexpensive thermocouples at the end.  I will have to figure out how to avoid contact of the hot metal surface for my permanent installation on the back wall.  High temperature silicon might be usefull.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:32:17 AM by smico »

smico

« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:21 AM »
To wake up lazy first crack, I quickly move filter up and down.  Obviously, as the air moves out, it passes just enough heat to other beans to trigger the crack.

I was looking to buy an electrical convection oven last weekend, and found out that there are two types: European (heat source behind the ventilator), and American (just add ventilator to the regular oven).

I have now crazy idea of adding tiny ventilator to increase air movement in the HT, and increase convection.  For testing, I will add it somehow in the chute, on the chute cover, and run with Dremel flexible drill extension. I will just need to find or make tiny metal ventilator.

What do you think about this idea?

RobertL

« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
I usually roast 8oz batches in my HT but I would like to try 4oz batches for cupping or blending. Anyone doing smaller batches and if so any pointers or tips would be appreciated.

smico

« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2012, 04:11:57 AM »
I usually roast 8oz batches in my HT but I would like to try 4oz batches for cupping or blending. Anyone doing smaller batches and if so any pointers or tips would be appreciated.
I was getting 100 g samples, and it was tricky at first. I did 3-4 roasts with coffees that I know very well before running live.
I was using Roasterthing to follow the curve of my previous roasts, but essentially you have to scale back on everything: drop in temperature, heat, fan and pulling the fillter. Doing that I was able to reproduce the same results, and stretch after the first crack. I didn't help much except to encourage you to go ahead, I guess.

RobertL

« Reply #229 on: April 03, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
I was getting 100 g samples, and it was tricky at first. I did 3-4 roasts with coffees that I know very well before running live.
I was using Roasterthing to follow the curve of my previous roasts, but essentially you have to scale back on everything: drop in temperature, heat, fan and pulling the fillter. Doing that I was able to reproduce the same results, and stretch after the first crack. I didn't help much except to encourage you to go ahead, I guess.

I roasted a 4oz batch today using your advice and wire temp probe snaked down into the beans. It actually went well I dropped the heat too much towards the end but aside from that no problems. I'm going to do a few more practice roast before using my actual samples but I think it should be fine. Thanks for the advice

smico

« Reply #230 on: April 04, 2012, 01:18:13 PM »
I am glad I could help.
Regards
Miroslav

GC7

« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »

I just now see this.

My typical batch size is 170-175 gm. I find that profiling is much easier than with larger batch sizes much akin to changing the path of a Corvette compared to an 18 wheeler. I can vary the time to 1C and finish over a wide range and the taste in the cup is noticeable. If you look back by search you will find some of my profiles (maybe even in this thread). I can re-post anything if you wish.

smico

« Reply #232 on: April 26, 2012, 04:54:22 PM »
I also always run 170 grams, and get about 145 g roasted. I tried it first time after reading your posts in this thread.  Big thing for me is very even roast as there is no need to run on max power. I was thinking to add bigger fins, but at the end pound a week is what we use, and having three coffees to choose from is perfect.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #233 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »
I have tried smaller batches, too, but went back to 250g batches.  I did not see any big difference in the cup, except that my profiles were all off, and I am too lazy to recalibrate them.  Then again, I have a "P" model, and it sounds like those of you using smaller batches have "B"s.  For example, on the P, there is not partial power setting.  It is all or nothing. (I wonder why)
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

RobertL

« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2012, 07:46:39 PM »
I did a few of 4oz roast after I wrote my last post in this thread and they turned out fine. I would not hesitate to do more if I needed a smaller amount for a blend.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
I did a few of 4oz roast after I wrote my last post in this thread and they turned out fine. I would not hesitate to do more if I needed a smaller amount for a blend.
In a "P" or a "B"?

RobertL

« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »
I use a "B" model.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2012, 08:05:17 PM »
Just curious, then, what batch sizes do "P" model owners use?  Or am I the only one? ???

juker

« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
“P” model here. Batch size is 225g.

Base profile:

243   1:00   0
297   3:00   0
331   3:00   0
340   1:00   1
369   2:00   1
388   3:00   1
401   2:00   2
415   3:00   2

I load @250* (front panel)

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
“P” model here. Batch size is 225g.

Base profile:

243   1:00   0
297   3:00   0
331   3:00   0
340   1:00   1
369   2:00   1
388   3:00   1
401   2:00   2
415   3:00   2

I load @250* (front panel)

Aha!  225g is closer to my 250g than is 170g.  It may be a "P"-thing.

You load at 250?  That must take a while.  I usually drop at 180 or so (before the signal comes to an end).

Thank you!