Author Topic: Further down the hole - Rancilio S27 rebuild is complete  (Read 1290 times)

ecdhunt

Further down the hole - Rancilio S27 rebuild is complete
« on: December 19, 2013, 04:08:40 AM »
I finished my rebuild.  Got it for $50, but it needed a total tear down.  Replaced all gaskets and O-rings, citric acid cleaned everything, replaced the hot water switch, had the procon rebuilt, replaced one solenoid valve, and new thermostat.  Not sure I care to know my total investment, but it's been fun learning about the machine along the way.  And way less than a comparable machine in working condition.

Now I just need to start learning the ropes; Barista basics. And finish the "man cave/theater/espresso-wine bar" so it has a permanent home. 

For those that warn of the journey to lever, lever-land: I almost bought a vintage Cremina on my last trip to Genoa.  But since the S27 wasn't operational and the room is under renovation, I figured the Mrs. would have a fit.  Maybe next time.  Watching the baristas in Napoli starts building the appreciation for the lever.   

ecdhunt

Re: Further down the hole - Rancilio S27 rebuild is complete
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 04:10:21 AM »
Oh - and I was reminded of some of the guys here one night in Genoa.  Across from an Illy espresso bar, I came across this:

shootersm

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:29:05 AM »
nice work

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
Nice, I just replaced the group and all the piston seals in my Rancilio. I plan on painting the spare panels next and adding some zebra wood accents.

jspain

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 05:09:23 AM »
Great job Aaron! You'll get a lever before it's over!!!!  ;)

ecdhunt

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
It was very nice being able to have a couple espressos to start my day!  Amazing the difference fresh beans can make.  I was trying to dial the machine and grinder in using some older decaf beans, making little progress.  Once I switched beans, my first shot was better than anything locally, maybe too much crema and a little too long to flow.  With a slightly coarser grind, the second was amazing - syrupy with just an overpowering dark chocolate flavor that lingered for 20 minutes afterwards.  Mmmm....time to go make another I think.   ;D