Author Topic: Espresso machine ... grinder ...  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Kimbalabala

• Standard User
Re: Espresso machine ... grinder ...
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2019, 04:50:00 PM »
I think I'll just go to BreadCo and see how their espresso is ...  :-\

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2019, 05:17:06 PM »
I think I'll just go to BreadCo and see how their espresso is ...  :-\

Lol I mean it's still worth it to know it's not for you. I have travelled through parts of Europe for a long time and I haven't had an espresso like I get at my home ever. I got something that I was glad to pay for in Italy. Most of what I got was crap not joking so of you loved most of what you get in Europe (Nespresso, lavazza, Illy) then you should beat that right out the chute.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2019, 11:21:25 PM »
Joe yes I do, that one is at the Greenland plant. I have a Tex modded one here at home I use for my espresso's.   As I said, it can make a good espresso, occasionally a friggin awesome one.  My halo bariti was god given in that machine, but,... it is an entry level machine really.

What was said before stands hard, and I have said this time and time again about roasting.  YOU need to learn YOUR MACHINE.  THAT is the key to making good coffee, roasting good coffee, pulling good coffee, etc etc.  Buying a ferrari does not make you a race car driver, practice does.  Getting an awesome espresso machine and a shitty grinder, well now you just done took your Ferrari and got yourself stuck in rush hour traffic, you'll never have any idea how well your machine performs, you caged it.

Espresso's are wonderful if that is your thing, but the price to get into them correctly, as Joe, Peter, Brian, and others have said, it's not something you are going to do on the cheap, and be happy.    I do metal detecting, well not so much anymore, but anyways,  I have 2 machines, both of them cost me well over 1000 dollars each many many years ago.  I found a lot of nice stuff with them, other people have seen and wanted to get into it themselves.  Even after the talks and questions, they STILL ran out and got the 89 dollar Radio shack special.  Then they were all pissed off when I am popping 200 year old coins at a foot or so and they are finding every pull tab and pop top on the planet.  You get what you pay for.

Aaron
ps. oof I think I just carbon dated myself again,  pop top, pull tab.  In 20 years nobody is going to know what those were anymore :)
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Kimbalabala

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 11:44:52 AM »
Just tried a Starbucks blonde espresso. Uck. Blech. Gross. Icky. $2.10 down the drain.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »
Only 2.10?  that's cheap,  must have been a dollar store starbucks.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 02:59:29 PM »
If you're going the cappuccino route, you might even take a look at a super automatic espresso machine. Some of the higher end ones make a decent cup and require little to no skill and they will cost less than you're looking to spend on the grinder/machine combo. They aren't going to be as good as when you get everything perfect on a grinder/espresso machine combo. However, they are consistent and will be better than when you pooch everything up.... O0 ;D

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 07:45:03 AM »
Here's my .02 since I've been using a variety of espresso machines over the years. If you want espresso or espresso-based drinks, I say go for it; I'm hooked. That's the only way I make coffee anymore. When I first started out, I was using one of those Walmart type Krups machines and a blade grinder. Yuk, but I didn't know any better. Then I started to do a little research on entry-level setups and higher and found a good used machine on Ebay that served me well for several more years and paired it with a good but reasonably priced burr grinder. I still have that machine and grinder and take it with us on vacation or when we go away for several days and want to enjoy my good roasted coffee. Several years ago, I moved on up to a plumbed in heat exchanger machine that I bought on CL at a real good price and bought a nice grinder at a coffee shop closeout sale. I paid less than $750 for both items and they are essentially commercial grade and look and perform really good. They did need a little refurb work but now perform flawlessly and reliably day after day. They make my previous machine look and feel like a toy. Take your time, do your research,and be patient and you can find some good deals out there. But also be careful because used stuff can come with issues. Me, I'd rather take a risk and buy a good used  machine at a deep discount and do a little work on it if needed than pay the premium price for new. My machines are in my profile below.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:50:22 AM by Alaroast »
Fiorenzato espresso, Ceado E6P v2 grinder, USRC 3kg roaster

Offline Alaroast

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 09:41:10 AM »
We just got back from Europe and I'm really hankering for a good espresso or cappuchino and all I've got is a DeLonghi grinder and a French Press (oh, and an AeroPress) and some medium/dark roasted beans (I can roast for darker beans though!). So I have some questions for you gurus.

First, how much should I expect to spend on an espresso machine - or more to the point, can I get a good one for less than $500? Is there one you recommend?

Second, will I be able to get a good espresso grind with my DeLonghi burr grinder? I just did the finest grind it offers and it still looks a bit coarse to me. Maybe my eye isn't the best way to measure though? Will I need to upgrade my grinder?

I tried to make an espresso using a fine grind and my AeroPress - doesn't even come close. It's just coffee.

Of course, it's also nice to just walk up and say 'espresso por favor' and not have to make it or clean up!
Just finished reading through this thread again and wanted to add a few more tidbits to consider.  Your DeLonghi burr grinder may be fully capable of delivering an acceptable grind for an espresso machine. My first burr grinder was a Bodum Bistro conical burr grinder that I bought online for about $100 and it still grinds a consistent grind for espresso. It was perfect for entry level espresso. I'd find the espresso machine you like and see if your grinder can give it what it needs. My first real espresso machine was over $1000 new and I bought it on Ebay for about $350 shipped IIRC. It was a double boiler Kitchen Aid Proline machine that got me hooked and provided great espresso-based coffee for several years. It produced decent shots with good crema. All that to say if you want to get into an espresso machine and grinder for less that $500, it can be done. Shop around and read reviews. And as mentioned earlier, stay away from those all in one superautomatics. No fun in just pushing a button and waiting for whatever might come out of the other end.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:42:56 AM by Alaroast »
Fiorenzato espresso, Ceado E6P v2 grinder, USRC 3kg roaster