Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 94565 times)

BoldJava

Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2008, 04:58:17 AM »
Subtracting time before hitting start lowers the time of the middle period.  Adding time after hitting start adds time to the final period.  So, if ya hit 1lb and P1, 18 minutes is shown in the screen.  There are 3 distinct periods to a roast so each period is 6 minutes long (3*6=18).  When time is subtracted (hitting the "-" sign) before hitting start, this time is subtracted from the middle period.  After hitting Start, if time is added to the roast (hitting the "+" sign) this time is added to the 3rd period.  Here is a great link to the Behmor site that explains this better than I can.  ;)

http://behmor.com/troubleshooting.html

Actually, you explain it better than the manual.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2008, 08:10:37 AM »
From Chad's cupping notes:

I struggle with this coffee.  It just doesn't fit.  My opinion varied between cuppings--sometimes I liked it, sometimes not.  I like the complexity, but it doesn't quite work.  I suspect I don't have enough run time with the Pacamara.  I'm on the fence on this one--the last cupping pushed me away--very unbalanced..

I didn't want to clog Chad's cupping notes so I thought I would bring it over here in that Chad works with a Behmor.  Pacamara.

I asked B|Whiskman about Pacamaras and he indicated no special in's and out's are required.  I struggled with the El Salv CoE (Pacamara).  I had the bean from Terroir, roasted, and it was OUTstanding.  I have not been able to come close to that at all.  Woody had the identical experience.

Who knows, maybe Paca's and the Behmor don't dance together?  Radiant heat?  Not enough of a physicist or chemist to offer any ill-formed opinions but just curious that we seem to struggle with the B-machine and pacamaras.

B|Java

Offline pm

• Standard User
« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2008, 06:53:01 AM »
I'm feeling the need to order one of the finer screen drums, since it seems I'm roasting mostly smaller beans. Anyone tried one of them and can report on them?

Thanks, Paul

BoldJava

« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2008, 07:04:51 AM »
I'm feeling the need to order one of the finer screen drums, since it seems I'm roasting mostly smaller beans. Anyone tried one of them and can report on them?

Thanks, Paul

I use it all the time for PBs, Yemens, and Ethiopians.  It works very well.  Lower your load limits with dry processed beans so you are not dealing with tons of chaff build-ups.  Shop vac the beans thru the screen after a load to pull off more chaff.  Buy it.  Great investment for small beans.  One other idea is just to start a 1/2 cooling cycle and let it run for 3 minutes loaded.  It shakes out the splits/smalls.

I usually end up with 3-6 beans that end up on the floor of the chaff catcher, nice and toasted, that get returned to the earth.  I think the rabbits and chipmunks are eating them as they seem livlier and sprint away from the Czarina's life-challenged Lowchen that I let out of the back door.

B|Java
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 07:10:47 AM by BoldJava »

Offline pm

• Standard User
« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2008, 07:09:50 AM »
THanks, BoldJava, for the amusing image.  :)

BoldJava

« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2008, 07:12:09 AM »
THanks, BoldJava, for the amusing image.  :)

We have had dogs most of our adult life.  This one is an inadvertent comic if I have ever seen one.

B|Java

FinerGrind

« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2008, 06:34:05 PM »
*bump*

While I save my lunch money for a Kill-a-Watt and Variac (yummm, baloney sandwiches - at least the bread is home-made), I've started taking better notes - checking to see if back-to-back roasts are consistent (between Behmor rests I run the SC/TO).  I came across this post on Home Barista:

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/behmor-1600-coffee-roaster-temperature-profile-tool-t7347.html

I put the HB link so you can get the background info before you choose to download the program, called BehmorThing.  The link to the app is on that thread. I've just started using it today, and have only found 1 bug in loading up previous roast history - so back up your DB early and often (no corruption as of yet).

Now if we could trick out our Behmors with cellular air-cards and have them speaking profiles to one another via XML web services, hmmm... have to think about that one...

I'd be interested if anyone else tries this app and if we could exchange profiles the old fashion way via email or ftp.

Thanks,
Woody

kuban111

« Reply #247 on: July 08, 2008, 05:04:18 AM »
Hola senor Finergrind,
I've been using this app ever since I saw it on H-B and on the (SM) roaster's log.

I have to see my notes & get back to you to report back any info. But so far it's very helpful in visualizing the roast profile.

I haven't had the time to really do a cross roast test with my SC/To & the Behmor , but next week I should get the opportunity since my wife is taking a trip to S. America & would have some free time. This project is long due and I'm looking forward to the result from the comparison from the two.

I haven't picked up a variac, but I have been using a kill a watt with the behmor.
Maybe I'll get around to ordering one today so I can have it for the test next week.

BTW?. I thought you were using a variac & a kill a watt in your set up with the behmor?

Also I saw your post on the Korate Natural Sidam thread, did you roast them on the behmor & @ what profile?

I used p2 but think that p1 would be a better profile for this.

Would love to hear from any one else on this.

Enjoy,

Michael

cfsheridan

« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2008, 07:21:10 AM »
[Snip]

Also I saw your post on the Korate Natural Sidam thread, did you roast them on the behmor & @ what profile?

Enjoy,

Michael

Michael,

For the cupping roast, I used the Behmor on P2.  For a 225g load, use P2, 1#, B for a 20:00 start.  I'd use the smaller mesh drum.  With that setup, and voltage around 118 with the heater on, you should hit first around 11:00 or so, a minute before the drop to 70%.  Once 1st has stopped, you'll still be in the 70% power phase, and you can hit cool where you want the roast to stop.

cfs

kuban111

« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2008, 07:35:31 AM »
Chad,

Thanks for the feedback. I also used p2 1lbs 10 oz, time 16:50 15:00 then added time after start for a total time of 20:00 but next time I roast this I?m going to try your time.

1st C 15:04   hit cooling @ 17:08 for a FC
My top Reading on the K-A- W were 118.50 low @ 114.

BTW I?m really loving this coffee?more like strawberry short cake to me.
Glad I got 15# of it.

Micheal
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:13:10 PM by kuban111 »

FinerGrind

« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »
[Snip]

Enjoy,

Michael

Michael,

For the cupping roast, I used the Behmor on P2.  For a 225g load, use P2, 1#, B for a 20:00 start.  I'd use the smaller mesh drum.  With that setup, and voltage around 118 with the heater on, you should hit first around 11:00 or so, a minute before the drop to 70%.  Once 1st has stopped, you'll still be in the 70% power phase, and you can hit cool where you want the roast to stop.

cfs

I roasted mine (13oz) in the SC/TO due to the proportion of small beans to larger beans, and I used my best guess / first try profile for DP coffees which is to pre-heat the roaster to 320, dump the beans in, do about 2 mins of drying time at this temp and when I see the first signs of chaff flying off I ramp the temp up in 25-30 degree increments, until I see the heavy smoke right before 1st crack - I back the temp down because I know it's the bean mass carrying the heat at that point, lift the top and inspect - good even cinnamon color, check the temp and ramp it up to 425 until I see the heavy smoke that would precede 2nd and stop, dump, and cool.  This is more art than science - I'm trying to get to know the bean, and this City+ roast was a lot like Harrar - some dark, some lighter, and some quakers.  Total time for this was approx. 14 mins.

I will try this in the Behmor soon and try your profiles.

Thanks,
Woody

kuban111

« Reply #251 on: July 08, 2008, 03:49:25 PM »
Wow after reading your post Find G I really miss my sc/to.

I use to have similar roasting rituals & exercises, sure was fun.

Not just all set it an forget it?

Lift this, turn that, up the heat here, down the heat there, pre heat, no heat , yes heat no heat e......every one talking about.......Stir.... crazy (sung to the tune of ?popmusic).

Miss my TO/SC it was my first roaster project back in the days. :(
I'm starting to think that I've been mislead by my Beemer......

« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:57:38 PM by kuban111 »

FinerGrind

« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2008, 05:27:27 PM »
Miss my TO/SC it was my first roaster project back in the days. :(
I'm starting to think that I've been mislead by my Beemer......

I like both - method roasting, and more precise roasting.  With the Behmor, I can communicate all the variables in a more clear manner, so I hope to see more collaboration between users.  I'm glad Joe has brought this to market and I think given the price, and fairly simple interface, there will be more home roasters joining us.  If you are a tinkerer, this roaster might not be for you - but I've learned a lot from it as it's my first drum roaster, and I understand what I read about drum roasters and coffee body.  I still use my Poppery I, and it's even more a tactile process - I roast with it and stand right over it, watching the gradual change in bean color and smoke.  I extend and control the roast by dumping it into a wire collander and checking the progress, but again, I think method roasting is not for everyone.

At the SCAA conf. Joe had mentioned new changes for the Behmor that have not been announced, and I got an email recently that he has a new hire who is taking feedback from the sales channel, so I expect the product team to address some concerns voiced.

BoldJava

« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2008, 05:28:43 AM »
Mark Prince opened the thread at CG for reviews on the Behmor.  http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/accessories/behmor1600roaster

I find myself with mixed opinions at this time and want to wait on the review.

Pro's:
Love the plug and play
Repeatability
Easy to share profiles across the miles
Good cup
Excellent value/price involved

Con's:

Very minimal control
Struggle with results on smaller roasts
Machine (operator?) issues with large beans - ie, JBM, pacamaras.  Does not do them justice.
Not convinced that radiant heat makes the bean shine like it potentially can.

B|Java

kuban111

« Reply #254 on: July 26, 2008, 07:26:30 AM »
QC Is hit or miss.... :angel:

I to I'm divided on this unit ::)

edit:9/22/08 
I was sent a replacement unit by Joe for the one that was not working, this one is working very good so far. I have maybe 25 roast done on this unit.

Michael
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 05:49:14 AM by kuban111 »