Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 94531 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
They were very helpful and told me that if I went online and sent them my address, there would be a motor in the mail tomorrow.  Included with the motor would be pictures and instructions for changing it out which I was assured would only be a ten minute job.  I was further informed that the total cost would be $20 that I could send in when I had a chance, but the motor would be sent out the next day.
These days I would say that is pretty good customer service!

It's bordering on outstanding if you ask me.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #271 on: January 07, 2009, 03:49:44 AM »
They did ask me first how old the roaster was, just incase it was covered by the 1 year warranty.  I bought it used from another member in 2007 so I'm not sure how many total roasts have gone through it.  I'll post an update on how the motor replacement went when it is completed.

kelp

pravspresso

« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2009, 06:48:04 PM »
Dam...my 2nd roast and FIRE :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ugh. Cleaned her up as good as possible. Working for time being.

pravspresso

« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2009, 06:48:39 PM »
Dam...my 2nd roast and FIRE :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ugh. Cleaned her up as good as possible. Working for time being.

tjnamtiw

« Reply #274 on: January 27, 2009, 04:49:57 PM »
That's more than PRETTY GOOD customer service.  That's darn good!  It encourages me to know there are still some good vendors out there that care about there customers after dealing the past week with a Medicare Part D provider (all in Manila) and BellSouth, who couldn't care less that every time it rains, I have no phone service for the last month!
On topic, I've had my Behmor for about 3 months and have narrowed my roast of Ethiopian Yirg down to a 14 ounce batch with settings pushed in this order: 1 pound, P3, C, add 5.  It goes into second crack with about 5 seconds to go and gets a nice rolling crack with no smoke during cool down.  Consistent as all get out!  No more noise from that darn Hearthware for the last 11 years.........

Offline Girardian

• Standard User
« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2009, 09:41:09 PM »
So I have been roasting with my Behmor for the past couple weeks now and have been really impressed. I had a faulty drum to start with but they sent me a new one at no charge with a pretty quick turn-around.

I am having some MAJOR trouble with this Flores bean though... It has gotten to the point of frustration. I can not seem to find a good setting for this. Its the Indonesian Flores from SM's and I can't get this thing to second crack no matter what I try. Normally I run a P3/D on my beans but after reading a bit more it seems that P3 is really supposed to be paired with C... So I am trying P1 right now its in the cooling cycle and went in about 1:30 after first crack... still a little light for my likings.

Any ideas? I've gotten 1# batches to FC++ before but for some reason this bean does NOT want to go.

I am having this trouble with *all* my beans.  I figured the machine simply would not roast to the second crack for *any* bean if you put in 1 lb. and roasted at reasonable ambient temp. 

Is this wrong?  If so, I think my machine is faulty ... and I've had it a while.
It has been my experience that Flores beans show lighter coloration for the degree of roast. I like to hit them hard in the last stage. I use 10.6 oz Flores then use the 1# pound setting. P1/B before I start I subtract 3 min and then after starting the roast add 2 minutes back on.

This seems to work good for me :D

Good Luck
Rob

draagoth

« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2009, 10:22:28 PM »

I am having this trouble with *all* my beans.  I figured the machine simply would not roast to the second crack for *any* bean if you put in 1 lb. and roasted at reasonable ambient temp. 

Is this wrong?  If so, I think my machine is faulty ... and I've had it a while.

The key to obtaining a darker roast with this machine is to cut back on the batch size. A batch size of 10.6oz to 12oz roasted on the 1# setting should have no problem getting to the second. One thing to remember is it matters when you add the time. Try this: 10.6oz of green, hit 1#, then P3, and then B. The time should read 20. Roast until there is 30 sec left then add 1 min. You will be able to add 3.5 min total but don't add them all at once. I'm not a dark roast guy but if can't get dark enough like this there might be a problem with the roaster. On this setting I'm usually plenty dark before I have to add any time or maybe 1.5 minutes.
Hope this helps ya out.
Rob :D

ira

« Reply #277 on: April 13, 2009, 10:45:04 PM »
not very much of what follows is "approved", but it works for me.  Just remember when you start playing games like this you need to pay very close attention near the end as you've possibly created situations where things, fire specifically, can go wrong. So be careful when you start operating outside the factory approved parameters.

Well, there are a couple of possibilities. First use P1, it's the hottest setting, most likely to reach second. Second, as soon as the roast starts hold down the + button till the max but you have to pay attention as you just made you responsible for pressing cool. If that's still not enough, then press P1, Start and wait for the clock to show 16:00, then press Stop, P1, Start and extend the time as before and this time stay closer. Not that the 2 minute pre-heat may cause a bit of smoking around 8 minutes, right before the afterburner turns on. Most machines will take a 2 minute pre-heat, somewhere between 2:15 and 3:00 you'll likely get it hot enough it will not re-start without colling it back down or fooling it with a ice cube to the temp sensor.

Some Behmors are slower than others, if you think yours might be to slow, call Behmor customer service and ask how to fix it, If you have a screwdriver and a minute or two the slowness with some of them can be cured.

staggerlee

« Reply #278 on: April 14, 2009, 05:35:00 AM »
I use the "Ira" method when I need a 16oz roast to hit 2nd. I have found that all of my roasts have improved DRAMATICALLY when I switched to 9oz roasts with the one pound setting. In my situation, with the larger batches all the character was being sucked out of the beans when the roasts took as long as this.

Ira's point on the risks of fire are real and serious. I recently had two fires due to my own carelessness, and believe me when I say that you won't believe the smoke that ignited coffee produces. it will scare the crap out of you and make everything stink for a long time. Never mind the cleanup.

tjnamtiw

« Reply #279 on: April 14, 2009, 05:58:34 AM »
We all worry about the possibilities of fires as we 'adjust' the settings but forget that with the old Hearthware style roasters that we started with, we could burn the crap out of the beans if we didn't stay attentive.  The noise, variability, and poor results are gone but the ATTENTIVENESS is still OUR responsibility.  I use P1 now with 15 ounces and get a rolling second crack but wish we had more control of max time in P3, that give a more flavorful roast to my tastes.
I believe that was one of the topics that Joe was going to address on his trip to China a couple of months ago.  I haven't heard anything yet.  I would love to pull out the old chip and put in a new one with more control.  If I have to sign a release stating that I'm responsible for fires, I'd be glad to since it is our responsibility, anyway.

sru_tx

« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »
Amen!  Amen!  and Amen!

I've been dealing with these exact issues.  I've done all the precautions of no extension cords, extending time after the roast has started, warm ambient temps, P1 and P3 settings only, and roasting only 11oz on 1 lb setting and stilll barely make it to second and occasionally not.  As stated, if we could sign a paper signing away warranty issues, etc. to get a chip with better control or at least extending roasts by one minute, SIGN ME UP!

I sent a message to Behmor via the website form within the last two weeks but never got a response.

My wife, err I mean Santa, gave me this as a Christmas present to get better consistency over my RK drum with nearly the same volume.  However, at barely 1/2 lb per roast, I'd go back to the drum if it weren't for Santa's feelings.

ira

« Reply #281 on: April 16, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »
I've been dealing with these exact issues.  I've done all the precautions of no extension cords, extending time after the roast has started, warm ambient temps, P1 and P3 settings only, and roasting only 11oz on 1 lb setting and stilll barely make it to second and occasionally not.

You need to call Behmor on the phone, that's not right and you need to get it taken care of before you run out of warranty.

Ira

tjnamtiw

« Reply #282 on: April 16, 2009, 08:15:08 PM »
Yea, you have a problem because I hit a rolling, smoking second crack with 15 ounces on P1 with 6 +'s at the start and I have to hit 'Cool'.  Something is wrong with yours.

sru_tx

« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »
Thanks guys for your opinions. 

I called Behmor Tech Support and talked about my problem.  Bob emailed a simple fix that I implemented over the weekend.  The unit is definitely working better.  My first roast went so far into second crack that it started smoldering before hitting the cool button!  While burning a roast isn't something I'm normally happy about, I was elated.  Since then I've gone as high as 13oz and easily reaching second.  I'd say it's fixed.  Thanks.

Behmor customer service was great!

steve
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:54:39 AM by sru_tx »

sru_tx

« Reply #284 on: April 27, 2009, 07:25:12 PM »
If you are having an issue with achieving the level of roast with your Behmor,  I highly recommend getting in touch with Behmor's technical support via email or phone.

While I'd like to disclose what the fix was, the conditions of getting this information is that I do not post it to anyone else.  As a product designer myself, I completely understand the need to maintain quality and safety in a product and respect those conditions.  The fix is simple and quick but I cannot say if it is effective for everyone.  Only a qualified Behmor tech can do that.

Please call Behmor if you are having problem.  Do not contact me via PM asking for the instructions as I cannot and will not pass that information along. 

thanks.

steve