Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 93630 times)

Offline fore

• Standard User
Re: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #345 on: January 22, 2013, 06:49:38 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I still haven't bitten the bullet yet.  Yet the Gene Cafe seems interesting too with it's direct vent.  More to ponder... ;)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #346 on: January 22, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
« Reply #347 on: March 03, 2013, 03:11:36 PM »
I wonder about extending the time between FC and 2C. I have been roasting Peter's Ethiopian Sidamo. For the last two roasts, settings were 10oz of bean at P3A, 1#. I began to open the door during FC, taking care not to stall the roast. The first time I was able to extend FC 2:30. 2nd roast I was able to extend to 3:13 (but I wonder if I stalled the roast). Then I began to think...that's a dangerous thing...

Am I supposed to extend the time of FC or the time between FC and 2C?

Shouldn't FC happen around the 9 minute mark? The last two roasts were 14:30ish. Even my very first roast of this bean on P1, 8oz for 12:00 FC occurred at 10:50. That was a City+ and cardboardy tasting.

The roasts have been FC, but I'm not getting a lot of berry--just hints. Vac pot was flat. Espresso is meh. Brazen is a bit better, but still flattish.

What am I doing wrong?

SJM

« Reply #348 on: March 06, 2013, 10:10:41 AM »
I'm impatiently waiting for someone to answer Bekeld's question in the previous post.

(= "bump")

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #349 on: March 06, 2013, 10:49:03 AM »
I've begun to investigate if the roaster is roasting slowly. I've followed the procedure in the manual, contacted tech support, performed additional tests, and am awaiting their response.

The one question that I need answered from the experts here is that "everybody" sez that FC should begin between 9-10 minutes. How can this statement be true? Different size loads should begat different times for FC. I can link where I've read this--will do that later.

JW

« Reply #350 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
On many drum roasters you are dropping the beans into an already hot drum and environment, so getting to 1st crack between 8-11 minutes is fine. With the Behmor you are starting the beans at room temp if the roaster isn't preheated, so the time to get to approximately 200F doesn't count toward drying or roasting the beans.  That is my understanding of why it takes longer to get to 1st crack with the Behmor.

JW

« Reply #351 on: March 06, 2013, 11:37:16 AM »
Wow Chris, very thorough answer. Quick question: are you using a full 8oz when using the 1/2# P1 setting? 

SJM

« Reply #352 on: March 06, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
Wow Chris, very thorough answer. Quick question: are you using a full 8oz when using the 1/2# P1 setting?

Thank you Chris !!!!
Now since it is a detour, and not directly related to the Behmor, I am going to start a thread/question about Ethiopian coffees (not just Sidamo).

Susan

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2013, 07:44:10 AM »
According to the results of the tests, I do need to replace the sensor. Bob from Behmor stated that they can ship me a new one at no charge. I did not expect that!

Meanwhile, as soon as I can clear the decks a bit, I'll roast trying Yakster's suggestion. One of the tests was to roast a 1/2 lb on P1 #1 and note when FC and 2C started. Being curious, I made coffee the next day. I don't care for coffee that went into 2nd as far as this one did, but this is much better than what I had roasted. There must be something to that fast ramp to FC.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »
Got sensor, started to change it out. Asked that guy who lives in the house with me for a small socket, and he took over. He's making a hash of it and I've already been told to be quiet. He's a loud fusser and cusser.

Guys, if the lady wants to do it herself, please let her. At this point I'm just hoping I don't have to buy a new one.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #355 on: April 22, 2013, 12:07:03 PM »
This thread is extremely helpful and informative. I just bought a Behmor from another forum member and roasted my first batch (about 12 oz.) today of Colombian Huila. Should I seek out the mod from Joe that allows the roaster to easily handle one pound of beans at once?

Burner0000

« Reply #356 on: April 22, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »
Mass,

As long as you have a dedicated voltage outlet you will have no issue roasting a full pound well into 2C.  I have done this many times. 

PS for deep cleaning use a grouphead brush, scouring pad with simple green and dish wash it to shine it up.  First time I dish washed it in almost a year and it looks almost new.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #357 on: April 22, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »
Thank you very much, Burner. By dedicated voltage outlet, do you mean an outlet where nothing else is plugged in? I don't know if I can get it more specific than that in my house. When I roast there are not too many other things using electricity.

Burner0000

« Reply #358 on: April 22, 2013, 01:47:18 PM »
Yup that's what I mean an easy way would be to find out which plugs aren't being used on a particular circuit by testing with a night light and flipping breakers on and off.  Just roast with nothing else on it.  It's only 15 - 20 min.  If you can't an electric stove has a 110 v outlet on top.  That will do it.

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #359 on: April 22, 2013, 04:10:59 PM »
Thanks. I think I'm about to be swimming up to my neck in roasted coffee beans. Early holiday gifts?