Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 94637 times)

thejavaman

Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2008, 06:33:33 AM »
I've been getting great results on the Behmor for a City+/Full City roast with 150 grams of green coffee (about 4-5 oz. roasted) using this setting:  1 lb., B, P2.  It really has a lag betweeen 1st and 2nd crack, and allows you very precise control on when you want to stop the roast exactly where you want it.  For a perfect Full City, I normally hit cool with about 4 minutes left in the cycle.  Just thought I'd share that in case anyone was interested.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:39:03 AM by thejavaman »

cfsheridan

« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2008, 06:42:55 AM »
I've been getting great results on the Behmor for a City+/Full City roast with 150 grams of green coffee (about 4-5 oz. roasted) using this setting:  1 lb., B, P2.  It really has a lag betweeen 1st and 2nd crack, and allows you very precise control on when you want to stop the roast exactly where you want it.  For a perfect Full City, I normally hit cool with about 4 minutes left in the cycle.  Just thought I'd share that in case anyone was interested.   ;D

Thanks Kevin.  I've been looking for a nice sample roast setting with a bit more lag between first and 2nd, and just haven't had the time to work it all out yet.

Chad

thejavaman

« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2008, 07:34:58 AM »
Thanks Kevin.  I've been looking for a nice sample roast setting with a bit more lag between first and 2nd, and just haven't had the time to work it all out yet.

Chad

Chad, that's exactly what I was looking for too.  It's a great profile to use when evaluating multiple samples as it produces very consistent results.

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2008, 03:29:20 PM »
Is that a lag you are getting on the P2 setting or is the roast actually stalling.  I would think that in P2 where the temperature goes down to 374* for 20% of the roast, it would be more of a stall between 1st and 2nd crack then a lag.  Just wondering...

kelppaddy

BoldJava

« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2008, 05:25:14 PM »

I will look at this again, very patiently.  I pooched two sample roasts with a similar approach.  I will have to review my notes again; maybe I didn't mirror what you have posted.  I found it stalled on me.

B|Java
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 06:39:33 PM by BoldJava »

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2008, 06:36:10 PM »
I wish BW would weigh in on this subject..............

kelppaddy

cfsheridan

« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2008, 06:39:07 PM »

kelppaddy

I think if Kevin is getting quality results in the cup from this setting, I'd put my stock in it, but that's just me.  :-\

BoldJava

« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2008, 06:40:48 PM »

I think if Kevin is getting quality results in the cup from this setting, I'd put my stock in it, but that's just me.  :-\

Agreed.  The OEBC has a good palate and would recognize a stalled roast.  It just has me stratching my head where it is that I pooched up.

B|Java

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »

kelppaddy

BW is not impressed with the Behmor.

Stubbie

« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »

BW is not impressed with the Behmor.

Honestly, this is the first negative I've read (that I can remember) about this roaster - other than some 1st production run bugs that are promptly attended to by the manufacture.

Care to elaborate at all?  I've been considering one to use as a sample roaster and would be keen to hear your thoughts.

-Stubbie

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2008, 03:43:12 PM »
Care to elaborate at all?  I've been considering one to use as a sample roaster and would be keen to hear your thoughts.

-Stubbie

I may just be set in my ways, but the main problems that I have with it are:

1)  Lack of control:  You have 5 preprogrammed ramps that you cannot modify.  To make them work properly, you are effectively stuck with an 8-11oz batch but you need to use the 1# setting to make that work right (most of the time).  Makes it impossible to react while roasting.
2)  Poor cooling:  Takes too long to cool down between roasts.  If you follow the directions, your beans will be baking for a long time after the roast is done (when I roast with a TurboCrazy, RK Drum or Fresh Roast 8+ I immediately can drop the beans in my cooler and they are at room temperature in under a minute)
3)  Too long:  It takes too long to roast beans this way, between properly cooling down between runs and with how long it takes to ramp properly. 

I easily roast 4# an hour with a TurboCrazy, with better control, instant access without stalling, real time sampling capability, 1/3 the cost, cheap component replacement (when necessary), and no UV.

These problems are there (mostly) with the GeneCafe as well.  For most homeroasters, these might be minor annoyances, as they are not doing the volume that I usually do and probably aren't concerned with multiple back-to-back roasts.  Many people stick to a particular roast profile and batch size and repeat without putting a lot of thought into variation.  I require more versatility than I can get with a Behmor or similar roaster.  I'm sure that if I put in a lot of time with one, I would figure out some ways to cheat and make it fit my style better, but as it stands I am satisfied with what is already in my tool box.

FinerGrind

« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2008, 06:38:53 PM »
Q: How does the smaller screen drum work for coffees like Yemen and Zim Tiny Berries?  The Yemen I have has a lot of broken bits (even a few stones) and I wanted to know prior to ordering the smaller screen drum, if I can roast these two coffees, or go back to the SC/TO for those.

Thanks,
Woody

Glacier

« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »
Q: How does the smaller screen drum work for coffees like Yemen and Zim Tiny Berries?  The Yemen I have has a lot of broken bits (even a few stones) and I wanted to know prior to ordering the smaller screen drum, if I can roast these two coffees, or go back to the SC/TO for those.

Thanks,
Woody

No go on the small screen (which does not seem a whole lot smaller to me) in fact I had to cancel a batch of Yemen 1 minute into the thing.

:(

BoldJava

« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »

Thanks,
Woody

Woody, The smaller weave works well for Yemens.  I typically run it with a cooling cycle for 3 minutes and that will jar 7-10 fragments onto the floor of the chaff filter.  I toss them, then pour the heat to it with P1.

RE:  TBerries, I haven't done a roast of Zambian on the Behmor yet.

Quite often, I forget I am using it and realize later, 'oh, I roasted the Bolivians in the smaller screen.'  No consequences.

B|Java

Glacier

« Reply #209 on: April 19, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »
Dave,

How much smaller are the screen openings?

I'm telling ya- it's not much if any- maybe I don't have the small screen after all?

:icon_scratch: