Author Topic: Roaster down! RKdrum motor shot, is there a cheap heavy duty replacement?  (Read 9518 times)

capttony

After two years of service my RK Drum motor is struggling to turnover a few pounds now.

Any recommendations for an inexpensive, 110v, geared, 50 RPM, motor with lots of torque.

Thanks for any suggestions,

capttony

ButtWhiskers

I have used Burden Surplus Center https://www.surpluscenter.com/electric.asp?UID=2009061512193413&catname=electric when I didn't want to wait for something to come up on eBay.  They usually have a pretty good selection of motors.  I have also bought blowers, solenoids, and transformers from them.  Nearly all of their stock is new surplus (it is indicated if not), and quite rugged.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Have you tried calling Behmor by any chance?.  his customer service what I have seen is awesome, I bet he will sell you one real cheap.  It might not be the same thing but I bet it can be configured easily nuff to work.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline Sigr

• Standard User
  • "It wasn't out of date til I bought it."
I purchased a "tritogenia variable speed rotisserie motor" on Amazon about a month ago. It's does a good job on my 4# RK Drum
Hints of wood and smoke linger in the air

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
How many pounds of coffee do you do with the "tritogenia variable speed rotisserie motor"?

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
While we're talking RK, what are you all doing for airflow/convection in your drum setups.

Offline chopperjosh

• Standard User
While we're talking RK, what are you all doing for airflow/convection in your drum setups.

I treat the back of my grill like a Nascar grill lol, adding and removing foil depending on the wind. I have 60% of the back of the grill covered standard. If it's super windy I'll add more foil, if it's less windy I'll peel it back.
Using an RK Drum that should be in Fallout.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
That helps a bit but also,don't be afraid to cover more than just the air vents,  the wind and especially rain can absolutely kill a roast, sucking the heat off the grill in a jiffy.  They make insulating blankets you can throw over the grill as well or try to insulate it.  Now of course you don't want to use fiberglass or anything that is going to get awful on you but even an old blanket, minding you don't get it too hot and start it on fire, just anything to cut the direct contact of the wind with the grill surface can greatly help with heat retention.

I have found, wayyy back in my days where I did the redneck roaster from a coffee can, and an old converted foreman grill,  that they have wool blankets you can get sometimes real cheap at the old army / navy surplus stores,  drape one of these over the grill can help with  heat retention too and is fairly cheap and being wool, will take quite a bit before you did catch it on fire IF you let it get that far.

Speaking of air vents, turning the grill so the vent is down wind of a prevailing breeze can help a bit too,  you'll have to play around with your setup and see what specifically works for you.  Id recommend getting 5 lbs of lower Q beans and just playing with them, paying more attention to heat rather than roasting properly, so you can get an idea what you need to do for when you put good beans in.

Remember, thermal mass is a godsent.  THe more weight you can get heated up, the more stable the temperature will be.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!