Author Topic: automatic coffee makers  (Read 3238 times)

milowebailey

automatic coffee makers
« on: August 12, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
I have a friend that is looking for an automatic coffee machine (built in grinder), that makes good coffee.  He doesn't really care about price.  He has one now and the coffee he drinks is from Stumptown, Cafe Vita, etc... decent stuff.

The problem he told me was twofold.

1) the grinder clogs up with an oilier bean
2) the brew temp isn't hot enough ... (true of most coffee makers)

What is out there for a high end automatic coffee maker (with built in burr grinder?)

Is the Capresso any good?

http://www.illyusa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_machines_machines_drip-coffeemakers_capresso-coffeeteam-ts-b115

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: automatic coffee makers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
Anyone that I know that owns a Saeco is very satisfied with it!

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 11:20:34 AM »
Check out the Jura-Capresso CoffeeTEAM at Costco.

This has gotten some excellent reviews.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:24:39 AM by Tex »

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:56:35 AM »

That's the one I linked to in my 1st message....

Some of those reviews are not-so-good... anyone here have or tried one?

"I've tried the Cuisinart grind and brew and it was a royal pain to clean. The Capresso is very easy to clean, but the coffee is weak. I used a lightly roasted breakfast blend bean with 10 cups of water on the 10 cups strong setting. The result was about 1/4 of the filter being filled with ground beans and hot brown water. 8 cups of water wasn't much better and I had to resort to two grinds at 10 cups strong with 8 cups of water to get good coffee. I returned it to the store."

Pros: great fresh brewed coffee
Cons: does not work well with oily beans

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:58:21 AM by milowebailey »

Pyment

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:02:08 PM »
I have a Delonghi Magnifica. At the time I bought it, it was one of the top rated super autos on CG. Since then, I have read that home grade super-autos have a shorter life than semi-autos. There are commercial grade supers for people where price is no object. The Franke Evolution machines have been reviewed well. I think Cimbali makes a super auto.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:37:08 PM »
Oops ... I thought you meant an automatic brewer for espresso.

::)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »
I think he's really looking for an automatic drip machine, but I'll mention the Magnifica to him.

Pyment

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 12:53:22 PM »
I was thinking espresso also.

The Magnifica makes a nice Americano.

Tex

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »

"I've tried the Cuisinart grind and brew and it was a royal pain to clean. The Capresso is very easy to clean, but the coffee is weak. I used a lightly roasted breakfast blend bean with 10 cups of water on the 10 cups strong setting. The result was about 1/4 of the filter being filled with ground beans and hot brown water. 8 cups of water wasn't much better and I had to resort to two grinds at 10 cups strong with 8 cups of water to get good coffee. I returned it to the store."

Pros: great fresh brewed coffee
Cons: does not work well with oily beans

here's a review of the CoffeeTEAM done by Coffee Geek. Take it for what it's worth?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:23:53 PM »
My dad thinks his Miele is the bee's knees.  It makes a pretty fair espresso and a decent Americano when you feed it good beans.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

yorel23

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »

Larry,

I owned the older version of the one that Tex linked to.  I had it for about 3 years.  It didn't have the thermal carafe.  I really felt like it was a good machine.  The coffee was great and the convenience was even better!  Gave it to a good friend of mine when I got into pourovers and espresso and I think he is still using it.  That newer model sure looks nice with the thermal carafe.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 01:44:46 PM »
That one Tex linked to also had a lot of folks saying the coffee was weak.  Problem is, is it something they are doing, or what?  Besides, define weak.  Weak to me might be tar to you  ???

Id be interested in one like that possibly to take to work where the neophytes don't have to put much thought into it.  Amazing, they pick the smartest of the smart to do the job we do and most of them can't make a decent pot of coffee to save their souls.  As long as I can take it back if we don't like id give it a shot.  Strong is the word of the day generally when it comes to coffee and if it's weak, it really won't do.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 03:29:40 AM »
Sold Out!

A pretty good one day deal at Costco.com for the Capresso today!

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&prodid=11478702&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=3&lang=en-US

kp
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:38:58 PM by kelppaddy »

Offline foreRB

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:05:46 AM »
This is a little off topic, but maybe a somewhat better choice (at least for me). I tried the "all in one system" several years ago and found that the grinder full of wet soggy grounds outweighed the convience and back to Costco for that POS. I think the drip system I have now is optimum allbeit pricey. I use a rocky grinder with a small digital scale on the base. I set the drip cone on the scale and it zeros out, then hit the rocker switch on the rocky and watch till I get 29 grams. Slam that into my Technivorm, add water, hit go. Next day clean up is dumping the paper filter from the cone, quick rinse and ready. That, from start to finish probably takes two minutes excluding the brew time and if I want a lesurely espresso on the weekend I allready haven the grinder.  ;D The lifespan of the Technovorm and the Rocky are probably 15+ years, how long do you think these whiz-bang automatics will last?  Anyway just my 2 cents.......

Tex

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 11:56:26 AM »
That one Tex linked to also had a lot of folks saying the coffee was weak.  Problem is, is it something they are doing, or what?  Besides, define weak.  Weak to me might be tar to you  ???

Id be interested in one like that possibly to take to work where the neophytes don't have to put much thought into it.  Amazing, they pick the smartest of the smart to do the job we do and most of them can't make a decent pot of coffee to save their souls.  As long as I can take it back if we don't like id give it a shot.  Strong is the word of the day generally when it comes to coffee and if it's weak, it really won't do.

Aaron

You should meet the folks Mrs T works with in Ascent/Descent at NASA. Their job is to get spaceships to the moon & beyond, but they couldn't tell you where the bathrooms are. Smart isn't necessarily intelligent - think Dustin Hoffman in Rainman!