Author Topic: Anyone tried this Hario ice coffee maker?  (Read 971 times)

Tex

Anyone tried this Hario ice coffee maker?
« on: August 19, 2010, 11:26:19 AM »

Where's the White Rabbit when we need him? ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Anyone tried this Hario ice coffee maker?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:30:21 AM »
Have never seen or tried it ... you planning to get one?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:34 AM »
Maybe? I was looking at the pour-over bars when I spotted this one.

BTW: How can a bar cost $200 - $400, when it's just 2 or 3 pieces of inexpensive stainless steel bent to shape? Anyone with access to a MIG welder, metal brake, & hydraulic punch could build these for next to nothing.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »
One of my coworkers has a really nice metal brake that he uses to make the sheet metal for his race cars. I've approached him about making a pour over stand before. I've also been thinking about attempting a plexiglass pour over stand made using a heat gun to bend the plastic.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
I'm thinking this design over and I'm not sure I see it... :-\

It's a filtercone that drips over an ice chamber. I didn't do the math on the oz's so I don't know if they are making stronger coffee than normal that is getting diluted or what but this one would be easy to test with any cone before buying one.

For me the AP is so good at this task I'm not sure I'd use another prep. If it wasn't for the caffeine issue I'd use cold brew for iced drinks but it is what it so the AP is very hard to beat... But I've never tried this thing so it's all guesswork at this point.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:01:34 AM »
I'm thinking this design over and I'm not sure I see it... :-\

It's a filtercone that drips over an ice chamber. I didn't do the math on the oz's so I don't know if they are making stronger coffee than normal that is getting diluted or what but this one would be easy to test with any cone before buying one.

For me the AP is so good at this task I'm not sure I'd use another prep. If it wasn't for the caffeine issue I'd use cold brew for iced drinks but it is what it so the AP is very hard to beat... But I've never tried this thing so it's all guesswork at this point.

I was looking at it, trying to figure out why I thought it was odd looking; then I realized it just didn't make any sense. It's a confused pairing of two ideas; cold-brewed coffee and hot-brewed iced coffee.

Based on what I understand about coffee it won't do either job well. All it's doing is cooling the pour-over brew over ice, before it's served. You'll still have the acidity of hot-brewed coffee, without the full benefits of hot-brewed iced coffee.

Plus, it seems that a lot of flavor will be left behind on the ice cubes? I agree with John, just use a pour-over or AP over a glass of ice.

???

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 11:20:06 AM »
Maybe? I was looking at the pour-over bars when I spotted this one.

BTW: How can a bar cost $200 - $400, when it's just 2 or 3 pieces of inexpensive stainless steel bent to shape? Anyone with access to a MIG welder, metal brake, & hydraulic punch could build these for next to nothing.

A lot of shops just use copper plumbing pipe and bolt it down to the counter. Copper is not the cheapest, but you would spend a small fraction of the $200-$400 you mentioned above and you can make it as short or long as you would like.