Author Topic: Yami vac pots  (Read 1092 times)

Tex

Yami vac pots
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
Anyone tried a Yami (not Yama) vac pot? I bought one on eBay as a whim and it arrived today from Hawaii. Other than the busted bottom globe, it looks pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/220662128009

ecc

Re: Yami vac pots
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »
How did this come out?  Did you end up using it?  I'm definitely scared about the USPS medium flat rate box from Hawaii.

Tex

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:55:38 AM »
I use it once or twice a week, and it works fine. Shipping is definitely not a problem - factory boxed inside another box with packing material and shipped USPS. I ordered another one for my sister and the bottom globe was broken - the seller had a replacement globe in the mail the next day.

Here's the 3-cupper next to my 5-cup Yama. If it wasn't for the handle you'd never be able to tell them apart.

ecc

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »
Wow Tex, it looks great, thanks for pictures!  Does the 5 cup top fit the 3 cup bottom?

Tex

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
Wow Tex, it looks great, thanks for pictures!  Does the 5 cup top fit the 3 cup bottom?

It'll fit - barely; but IMO, it doesn't leave enough space for an adequate amount of water to remain in the bottom globe.

ecc

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »
Bummer.  The 5 cup top is just big enough for me to get my hand into, and I wouldn't mind having a spare that would cover both sizes.  Having a smaller one would be convenient though...

Tex

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »
Bummer.  The 5 cup top is just big enough for me to get my hand into, and I wouldn't mind having a spare that would cover both sizes.  Having a smaller one would be convenient though...

I use a Cory rod in it and I can reach it easily - the Yami 3-cup top globe is shorter than the Yama 5-cup.

ecc

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »
I got the 3 cup Yami in Saturday, it works well.  No problem with the shipping, a solid little siphon with a nice look. 

Thanks for the heads up, Tex!

Tex

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 09:54:33 AM »
I got the 3 cup Yami in Saturday, it works well.  No problem with the shipping, a solid little siphon with a nice look. 

Thanks for the heads up, Tex!

I bought my first Yami by mistake, but liked it so much I've bought four more for gifts. Even with S&H from Hawaii, the price is right!

Is it my imagination, or is the glass thicker in the Yami? I'll have to look for the ball attachment to my micrometer and check it out.

ecc

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
The only other intact tabletop siphon I have for comparison is the 5 cup Yama, it looks a little thicker, but it may just be the smaller globe.  I think the hario's have the best bottom glass, but replacements are tough to find at a reasonable price shipped, so my 3 tasse hario stand with broken bottom globe and missing top remains a project.

I prefer the yami stand, but the double ring gasket on the yama seals up a little better/easier.  My yama stand likes to lean a little.

Lately I have also tried using the 3 tasse Yami glass with the 5 tasse yama stand, just to get a little clearance on the butane burner.  It seems to work a little better with some room, the stock yami is right on top of it.

Maybe I should build a frankensiphon, a hario or yami stand, super thick hario bottom, inexpensive yama top with the nice seal.

By the way, if you are going to buy 4 at a time, you can get them from Amazon just under $40 ea shipped for the 3 tasse tabletops with the 3 for 4 deal.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:37:26 AM by ecc »