Author Topic: Modding a Turbo oven: busted bolt - anyone have a spare?  (Read 1255 times)

Tex

Re: Modding a Turbo oven: busted bolt - anyone have a spare?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »
Crap, I just broke another stud! I picked up some 8-32 threaded s/s rod & s/s tubing that slips over the studs and made my own studs. So I won't need buttwhiskers to dig through his junkers to find parts, but thanks for the offer!

I had everything back together and was going to try a batch of old beans a local roaster gave me. No joy - I had a loose wire inside, then in my rush to reassemble it I snapped another stud off. Dammit!

TIP: If this happens to you, head down to your tool supplier and get a 5/32" left hand twist drill bit. The 1st one I tried to clean up I used a right twist bit and it just spun the broken piece deeper into the hole - it wouldn't come out. This one I used the left twist bit and it spun the broken piece out without using an Easy Out.

I'll have the new studs in tomorrow and hope to get a roast in on Monday if it's not too cold.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 08:59:47 AM »
Not sayin' nothin'...  but I'm wondering why you're taking those studs off in the first place.  I've had my TO's apart to get at the innards on numerous occasions and never saw the need to remove those.  ?   Just curious.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 09:23:08 AM »
Not sayin' nothin'...  but I'm wondering why you're taking those studs off in the first place.  I've had my TO's apart to get at the innards on numerous occasions and never saw the need to remove those.  ?   Just curious.

To get at the tstat & handle switch leads. Looking at the graph of the roast profiles, I suspect the erratic temps shown are the result of the tstat opening & closing when it shouldn't. I'm just checking that out.

If I'm wrong, nothing lost. If I'm right, a better roaster. Sometimes good enough is not!

Gime2much

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 09:40:03 AM »

To get at the tstat & handle switch leads. Looking at the graph of the roast profiles, I suspect the erratic temps shown are the result of the tstat opening & closing when it shouldn't. I'm just checking that out.

If I'm wrong, nothing lost. If I'm right, a better roaster. Sometimes good enough is not!

Absolutely right, Tex. I've removed the t-stat on two and split wired them for a variac. Temperature rise is smooth as silk now.

Dan Brewer