Author Topic: Thinking about a new roaster... Suggestions?  (Read 3030 times)

Tex

Re: Thinking about a new roaster... Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 08:00:11 PM »
What about the summer? Do you just throw the beans on the driveway and scrape them up in 14 minutes or so?

No, I just run a dryer vent hose from an air conditioner vent to the chaff collector. Otherwise it's at 1st crack in a minute or two. ;D

Offline danetrainer

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
I went large with Christmas holiday roasting with the Ambex this weekend, my experience was as smoke free as it gets...I had tried roasting in the house before when I used a Behmor and I never did that again!

I roasted close to 30lbs on Saturday with the 4" dryer type exhaust tubing venting out the rear door of my house. No smoke in the house at all during the roast, the smallest amount exits with the beans when they are dumped, but the stirrer housing fan eliminates any further smoke. I have a smoke alarm above the unit that never sounded, so for sure the amount was minuscule. I had planned, of course, to have the propane tank outside, but the extension hose turned out to not have the correct fitting, so next time for sure.

Before I brought the Ambex in house, I tried some roasts outdoors when the ambient temp was in the high 40's, and the roasts suffered as a result. The turn was nearly 20 degrees lower, I certainly have all the burner power to compensate, but being my profiles are refined I did not care to experiment. I wouldn't expect you could pull it off with a RK drum, you could possibly minimize smoke with a large range hood and a high powered exhaust fan.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 08:45:33 PM »
Nice roaster!

milowebailey

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »
Just be careful that your Propane tank doesn't sweat too much in the house and leave a rust stain on the rug....

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 12:12:07 AM »
Just be careful that your Propane tank doesn't sweat too much in the house and leave a rust stain on the rug....
Oh, that sounds painful.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 05:20:08 AM »
I went large with Christmas holiday roasting with the Ambex this weekend, my experience was as smoke free as it gets...I had tried roasting in the house before when I used a Behmor and I never did that again!

I roasted close to 30lbs on Saturday with the 4" dryer type exhaust tubing venting out the rear door of my house. No smoke in the house at all during the roast, the smallest amount exits with the beans when they are dumped, but the stirrer housing fan eliminates any further smoke. I have a smoke alarm above the unit that never sounded, so for sure the amount was minuscule. I had planned, of course, to have the propane tank outside, but the extension hose turned out to not have the correct fitting, so next time for sure.

Before I brought the Ambex in house, I tried some roasts outdoors when the ambient temp was in the high 40's, and the roasts suffered as a result. The turn was nearly 20 degrees lower, I certainly have all the burner power to compensate, but being my profiles are refined I did not care to experiment. I wouldn't expect you could pull it off with a RK drum, you could possibly minimize smoke with a large range hood and a high powered exhaust fan.

Thanks for the info!  How about smell?  For some reason my wife hates the smells of roasting coffee  ???

Also, do you have an estimate of how long a 20lb propane tank lasts?

milowebailey

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 06:16:40 AM »

When I had the sonofresco a 5 gallon propane tank (BBQ size) lasted about 30 - 40 roasts (30 - 40) lbs.  With my Ambex YM-2 it lasts longer maybe 30 - 50 roasts... but that's 100 - 200 lbs.  The ambex seems more efficient.

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 07:56:46 AM »

When I had the sonofresco a 5 gallon propane tank (BBQ size) lasted about 30 - 40 roasts (30 - 40) lbs.  With my Ambex YM-2 it lasts longer maybe 30 - 50 roasts... but that's 100 - 200 lbs.  The ambex seems more efficient.

Wow!  That's better than I thought it would be.  I don't know how many roasts I get with the RK drum since i switch the tank to the other gas grill to use the side burner to light my charcoal chimney (and an occasional last minute meal), but I doubt it is that efficient.

Unless someone has another idea on how to roast and cool two to three pounds at a time (without chaff everywhere) I guess I'm going to figure out a way to get a shop roaster.  If anyone sees a deal on a 2Kg roaster, either electric or propane, in good shape, keep me in mind.  The closer to Chicago, the better :-D

Offline danetrainer

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
A bit of advice, don't consider electric...the dynamics of this size of roaster would suffer severely, I have up to 20,000 BTU's to instantly apply at any time, that is part of the reason you will not find professional chefs trying to cook with electric. The 5 gallon propane cylinder lasts an enormously long time...first year I roasted with it I used a partial cylinder and still never ran out or refilled, I generally standardize my roasts for 1 kilo batches, but for the Holiday roasting did many 2 Kilo...I'm sure I could roast more than that, if I were inclined too.

milowebailey

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »
If you want to consider 3kilo.... here is one that might be worth looking at.

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »
A bit of advice, don't consider electric...the dynamics of this size of roaster would suffer severely, I have up to 20,000 BTU's to instantly apply at any time, that is part of the reason you will not find professional chefs trying to cook with electric. The 5 gallon propane cylinder lasts an enormously long time...first year I roasted with it I used a partial cylinder and still never ran out or refilled, I generally standardize my roasts for 1 kilo batches, but for the Holiday roasting did many 2 Kilo...I'm sure I could roast more than that, if I were inclined too.

Good to know.  I appreciate the advice!

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 11:36:32 AM »
If you want to consider 3kilo.... here is one that might be worth looking at.

I saw that one, but there is no way I can afford that much.  It will be a challenge to get even $4K past the Ministress of finance :-D  I may be dreaming to find anything in my budget, but I'm not in a big hurry.

Offline danetrainer

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 11:41:03 AM »
The Deidrich is quite overpriced for 7 years old, most likely what it cost new back then. General rule on used roasters is 60% of new...of course depending on age or condition, could run more or less.

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
60% of new for a recent model in good condition is about what I was figuring as well.  Any idea what an IR-3 goes for new?

Pyment

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 12:40:54 PM »
I am pretty happy with Toper 1 Kg. Roasting in the Garage is quite doable all winter. And Ron you're invited to try it out if you want. I keep the garage door closed until I am getting smoke, then I open it about 2 feet. In winter this sets up an air current where the cooler air comes in below the door and the warmer smoke containing airg goes over the door and out. I also do some tweaking with air flow I can show you. I would lean towards a gas unit over my electric all things considered.

The market for smaller (less than 5 kilo) roasters is such that you don't get much of a deal on used roasters. They get bought up by hobbyists and new roasters. Around the 7-10kg mark you start to see better deals.

When I looked at roasters, I liked US Roaster Corp a lot.