Author Topic: Vac Pot Help :-( ???????  (Read 3261 times)

seldomseensmith

Vac Pot Help :-( ???????
« on: January 09, 2011, 07:01:46 PM »
So i was gifted a Bodum Santos Vac Pot for Christmas. I'm getting about 1/3 of the brewed coffee entering the bottom cylinder, and then the rest gets stuck, taking 7-10 minutes to finally reach the bottom. My method is as reads below. Any recommendations?

- Boil water at med-high
- Add course ground coffee to top (I've tried adding it before the boil, and after 1/3 of the water has entered the top)
- After all water has entered the top, take off of heat
- Wait for brewed coffee to flow to bottom

So with the coffee sitting up top for so long, it inevitably gets over-extracted. Help??????

BoldJava

Re: Vac Pot Help :-( ???????
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:21:08 PM »
1.  What grinder are you using?  Should be grinding slightly finer than drip.  With that volume (34 oz), use about 55 grams of coffee.

Heat water to 197 without the upper globe in place.  (Your water is appearing to be boiling.  It isn't -- deceptive -- check it with a thermometer.  Water will rise as early as 145*).
Insert upper globe with plastic filter in place.
Let all the water migrate north.
Then add coffee, with heat now a little below medium.
Use wooden spoon to immerse all the coffee.
Let steep for 1:45
Take off the heat.

Should drain in about 2 minutes.  Just worked through the Bodum last week as friend was having trouble.  Procedure above resulted in no stalls in 5 days.  Coffee was fine but I hate the design.  It is like pouring with a broom handle and it is awkward to get the last 4 ounces out of the pot.  The plastic filter ... never mind.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 07:26:13 PM by BoldJava »

Offline 4thJohn

• Standard User
  • Psalms 118:8
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »
I am by no means an expert on this as I also got mine @ Christmastime.
Instead of removing from heat when all has gone up top,I move the flame so that the liquid simmers for about a minute or more,then I remove the heat.I don't know if this helps.
Pull shots left handed.    Is that like getting a little 'strange' in your coffee cup... 

Aaron

Ray T

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:53:35 PM »
1.  What grinder are you using?  Should be grinding slightly finer than drip.  With that volume (34 oz), use about 55 grams of coffee.

Heat water to 197 without the upper globe in place.  (Your water is appearing to be boiling.  It isn't -- deceptive -- check it with a thermometer.  Water will rise as early as 145*).
Take off the heat.

Should drain in about 2 minutes.  Just worked through the Bodum last week as friend was having trouble.  Procedure above resulted in no stalls in 5 days.  Coffee was fine but I hate the design.  It is like pouring with a broom handle and it is awkward to get the last 4 ounces out of the pot.  The plastic filter ... never mind.

+1 I use B/Vacpot Dr.s Instructions .  Always great results

seldomseensmith

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:07:53 PM »

Take off the heat.

Thanks Bjava, I'm anxious to work your method in the morning.

I'm using a commercial Bunn grinder, like you'd see in a grocery store. And I was using 76 grams of coffee.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:11:03 PM »

Take off the heat.

+1 I use B/Vacpot Dr.s Instructions .  Always great results

+2 He's a grumpy old fart dude, but he knows his vac pots.

ecc

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
I've found that the longer/stronger you let it bubble with the water north the stronger the vacuum underneath gets. 

My new standard is to let it bubble an extra few minutes after sealing the top before adding coffee, and to only knock the heat down enough to keep the coffee safe in the top.  Big, dramatic draw downs every time!

ecc

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 07:33:36 AM »
Glass rod filters are a great vacpot upgrade.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=7223.0

seldomseensmith

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 07:39:26 AM »
Thanks ECC.

Ok, so I just went through BJava's vacpot method. My cup is still cooling, so I can't comment yet, but I had a thought while I was making my coffee. In the 1:45 when the coffee is in the top, and the heat is on medium, the water in the top is essentially boiling. Why wouldn't this excessive heat be bad for the brew?

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:42 AM »
first question is no the boiling should not affect the brew.  Second when you put the top on make sure you wet the rubber gasket to ensure a good seal.  Does the liquid on top whoosh down when you remove it from the heat?  If not, check to make sure you are getting a good seal between the top and bottom pots.

(missing a good vacuum pot of coffee in Benbrook, Texas)
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier

seldomseensmith

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 07:48:23 AM »
Bjavas tips made my pot work well; coffee grounds and water were together for 3:45 before all of the brewed coffee made its way to the bottom. But in the 1:45 that the coffee and grounds were together in the top, with the heat on medium (actually had mine on low), the water temp measured ~210; conventional wisdom says that's too hot. What am I missing here?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 07:53:14 AM »
Bjavas tips made my pot work well; coffee grounds and water were together for 3:45 before all of the brewed coffee made its way to the bottom. But in the 1:45 that the coffee and grounds were together in the top, with the heat on medium (actually had mine on low), the water temp measured ~210; conventional wisdom says that's too hot. What am I missing here?

now you have  to take B|java's method and play around with it to find what works best on your stove.. I don't think perfection is obtainable but you can find a happy compromise

ecc

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »
I stir the top before adding coffee if the temp is much over 195F.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:41:06 AM »
I stir the top before adding coffee if the temp is much over 195F.

I may have to measure mine.  I actually want it to be over 195 before I add the coffee so that the cooling effect of the coffee doesn't drop it too much.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

seldomseensmith

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 08:42:57 AM »
Hahaha, I'm over here brewing pot after pot trying to get it right. What are you guys using for grounds/water ratios? Bjavas 55 grams for 34 ounces was a bit weak for me.