Author Topic: Vac Pot Help :-( ???????  (Read 2582 times)

ecc

Re: Vac Pot Help :-( ???????
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 08:48:05 AM »
That's about where I am.  Instead of updosing, you might try adjusting the grind finer until you find the right spot, my setting is pretty fine.

Ray T

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
Then you put a glass rod in vacpot way different ballgame,gave me the excuse buy my Vario  ;D.
 Like with all coffee extraction paraphernalia its all about the GRIND !!
Enjoy the adventure its worth the putzing time, in CA we say it with a Z not a S  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 10:02:00 AM by Ray T »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 12:04:10 PM »
Hahaha, I'm over here brewing pot after pot trying to get it right. What are you guys using for grounds/water ratios? Bjavas 55 grams for 34 ounces was a bit weak for me.

I use a Yama 5-cup, so 22-24oz. is maxing it out.  For a full pot I use 44g.

RayT is right on with the grind statement.  What are you grinding with SSS?  And like ecc, I like to grind fairly fine for my Cory rod pot.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

seldomseensmith

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »
Hahaha, I'm over here brewing pot after pot trying to get it right. What are you guys using for grounds/water ratios? Bjavas 55 grams for 34 ounces was a bit weak for me.

I use a Yama 5-cup, so 22-24oz. is maxing it out.  For a full pot I use 44g.

RayT is right on with the grind statement.  What are you grinding with SSS?  And like ecc, I like to grind fairly fine for my Cory rod pot.

I'm using a commercial Bunn grinder, like you'd find in a grocery store.

Tex

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 09:37:53 PM »

I use a Yama 5-cup, so 22-24oz. is maxing it out.  For a full pot I use 44g.

RayT is right on with the grind statement.  What are you grinding with SSS?  And like ecc, I like to grind fairly fine for my Cory rod pot.

One thing that'll stall a vac pot is too many fines; so how sharp are the burrs?

seldomseensmith

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 06:21:01 AM »

I use a Yama 5-cup, so 22-24oz. is maxing it out.  For a full pot I use 44g.

RayT is right on with the grind statement.  What are you grinding with SSS?  And like ecc, I like to grind fairly fine for my Cory rod pot.

One thing that'll stall a vac pot is too many fines; so how sharp are the burrs?

I'm good, Bjava straightened out my stalling. Now I'm just trying to get my ratios down.

milowebailey

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 06:31:06 AM »

I'm good, Bjava straightened out my stalling.........
He had the same affect on me when I went to visit cheddarland.  ;D

seldomseensmith

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
Ok, so I'm making good vac pot coffee now, thanks guys. Now the only question is, how long until I break this thing? I say by the end of March, and that is a super conservative guess.

Tex

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »

I'm good, Bjava straightened out my stalling.........
He had the same affect on me when I went to visit cheddarland.  ;D

If you'll lay off the cheese you'll have less problems with stalling. ;D

ecc

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 02:22:13 PM »
Ok, so I'm making good vac pot coffee now, thanks guys. Now the only question is, how long until I break this thing? I say by the end of March, and that is a super conservative guess.

Good thinking, now you need a backup tabletop! (or two)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:23:44 PM by ecc »

BoldJava

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 04:28:24 AM »

I'm good, Bjava straightened out my stalling. Now I'm just trying to get my ratios down.

Well done.   RE:  Ratios - I might look at grind.  For vacpot, I do fine-medium, coming back about 8-10% from a pourover/drip grind.  I find a better extraction with the finer grind as there is less turbulence to extract than there is with a pourover.

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:31:45 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 08:36:18 AM »
RE:  Ratios - I might look at grind.  For vacpot, I do fine-medium, coming back about 8-10% from a pourover/drip grind.  I find a better extraction with the finer grind as there is less turbulence to extract than there is with a pourover.

B|Java

Would you please restate that, so us morons can grasp what you're saying.

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »
Would you please restate that, so us morons can grasp what you're saying.

For coffee, a solvent must extract the soluble solids (proteins, oils, etc).  Water is the solvent.  The finer the coffee, the more easily the solubles are extracted.  Extraction is enhanced by turbulence (water pouring/force). When I pour water through a filtered cone, that is more turbulent than with a vacpot. With a vacpot, once I immerse the coffee, it sits in a band.  I get a bubble now and then but nothing of the force of water being poured.  There is some further extraction in the vacpot when the vacuum is broken and the 'whoosh' occurs.  It is sucking out solubles at that point.

Experience with different grinds tells me it does make a difference.  I feel I get better extraction with a somewhat finer grind with the vacpot. That's my story and I am sticking too it, bubb.  <grins>

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:43:06 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »
Wow.  That is completely different than what I've experienced w/ my Yama.  After the coffee is added and I've pushed it down to immerse the grounds, my heat is low enough so that I don't have the filter rod dancing, but I do see a great deal of turbulence. 

But I never noticed the turbulence until a sunny afternoon with the sunshine hitting the brewing vacpot.  It's a glorious sight; the steam from the bottom is coming up in the middle, making the view from the top an expanding ring, and then it falls along the outside of the globe only to be pushed back up the center.

That's what made me think I wasn't understanding your post, because in my kitchen the vacpot it far more violent than a pourover.  I'm wondering if I'd see the same dance in my Yama with a good flashlight versus the sunshine and/or wondering if you haven't see the dance because of insufficient light. 

Thoughts?

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »

Thoughts?

Yes, I don't care for that much turbulence with the Yama.  I have done that and prefer the cup without the tango going on top.  I have turned the heat down and don't have a ton of dancing.  

Flashlight?  That's for nightcrawler hunting.   I don't fish anymore.

B|Java