Author Topic: NIB vario for $300, should I get it?  (Read 860 times)

Offline sontondaman

• Standard User
NIB vario for $300, should I get it?
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »
Hi all,
I have been offered a NIB Baratza vario for $300. I already have a dosered Super Jolly and 2 other dosered-grinders (nouvo simonelli MDX and rossi rr45); so I'm wondering if the Vario will offer any improvements. Any thoughts from those who have experiences? By the way, i'm thinking of pairing this grinder with my ponte vecchio 2 groups lever machine.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: NIB vario for $300, should I get it?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
I have the Virtuoso and if I were getting an espresso machine I would be getting a espresso grinder.. keeping the Virtuoso for all my non espresso needs.. probably do the same thing if it was the other way around.. the Vario looks like a lot of $ for some bells and whistles..  (IMHO)

Tex

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »
I didn't think the Vario outdid the Super Jolly or MD50 63mm burr set grinders I had when I borrowed a friends Vario to play with. It's an attractive package and it was convenient to be able to switch the grind from drip to espresso so easily; but based solely on the grind capabilities, I'd say keep the SJ & RR45.

But do buy the Vario; you can always sell it on eBay for a $50 profit! >:D

edited: IF I had room for only one grinder, then I'd take the Vario. But if I had room for two grinder, then I'd have something like what I have - a MD50 & a Titan.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:49:40 AM by Tex »

Offline sontondaman

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
actually, I'm planning to keep the other grinders as well. May be each of my espresso machine can have a separate grinder tuned to it. ;D

randytsuch

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:47:40 PM »
$300 is a deal, you can't lose.

Buy it, and play with it, and see if you like it.

Worst case, you don't like it, and decide to sell it.  I am almost certain, if you listed a fairly new Vario for $300, it would sell in a heartbeat.

Randy

Tex

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »
actually, I'm planning to keep the other grinders as well. May be each of my espresso machine can have a separate grinder tuned to it. ;D

That's the ticket; I see milo's profligate buying habits are wearing off on you?

Offline sontondaman

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
I brought the grinder home and just finished dialing it in with the PVL. Now It takes me less than half the time as before when I had to brush the SJ doser and chute. I will have to do some taste test tomorrow. Now I have 5 grinders in total!!!
Cheer!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:23:44 AM »

Back in Jr. High we had a science class with those giant black lab tables......

Is that what you have or a kit counter top, about 4 massive lab tables? 
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »
I brought the grinder home and just finished dialing it in with the PVL. Now It takes me less than half the time as before when I had to brush the SJ doser and chute. I will have to do some taste test tomorrow. Now I have 5 grinders in total!!!
Cheer!

Show off!

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
Cheer!

Show off!

;D

mp, you need a wife like Son.   ;D   
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you