Author Topic: Artisan roasting application  (Read 1538 times)

milowebailey

Artisan roasting application
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:56:08 AM »
Holy moly ole, how cool is this?

This application is probably the coolest one I've seen.   It will work with just about any PID or data logger that has a serial output.  The Milowidget project is moving forward due to a new interface board developed by some guys over at homeroasters.org.

Between this application and the new board + a little Milowebailey modification to the board, I expect I'll have a full hottop controller with datalogging and control very soon!

FEATURES

o runs on Mac OS X 10.5/10.6, Windows, and Linux
o ET/BT logging and PID control supporting the following devices
 - ArduinoTC4
 - Fuji PXR/PXG 4 & 5 PID
 - Omega HH309, HH506RA, HH802U, HH806AU
 - CENTER 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 309
 - VOLTCRAFT K202, K204, 300K, 302KJ
 - EXTECH 421509
o Fahrenheit and Celsius display and conversion
o manual logging of extra events (FCs,FCe,..)
o large buttons supporting touch panels
o live ET/BT rate-of-rise curves
o metric and thermal head-up-display predicting the ET/BT future during logging
o profile statistics and evaluations based on user configurable roast phases
o background reference profile
o user defined cup profiles and cup profile graphs
o HTML report creation
o CSV export

jimec3

Re: Artisan roasting application
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:59:31 AM »
Congrats on all the hardwork!!!!  Let me know when to send paypal.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »
Great news Larry!

Way to snag the progress forward with this.

:icon_thumleft:
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

crholliday

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:09:18 AM »
We have been using it on our commercial roasts. Great tool! Those guys are doing a fantastic job and with the addition of the arduino board, there should now easily be a market for a cottage industry made controller.

C.

Offline Dregs

• Standard User
  • Better, not bitter.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
[It will work with just about any PID or data logger that has a serial output.]

This looks very slick.  The number of devices the site lists as supported is fairly limited, though.  Is it likely to support other devices with serial output?  I've got one on order that's not on the list - might need to return unopened. 

Dregs

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
Sign me up!

farmroast

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:43:17 AM »
An incredible amount of nonprofit work has gone into new hardware and software by home roasters. Much thanks to the great home roasting community members for all their efforts!

Tex

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »
Milo's teasing us with rumors of the widget again. I'll believe it when I see pictures! :-X

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 12:05:33 AM »
Argh. This is absurd. My spare time of late is spent on an Arduino project that has nothing to do with coffee, and I sit on the sidelines and whimper at all this good stuff.    :P

Likely to buy a couple hundred of these with mods pretty soon.

The Artisan code project looks really cool!

JasonG

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »
My Digital Logic prof. keeps extoling the virtues of the mbed every time I mention the Arduino. He's about a genius though, so I've no idea of the comparison. I saw mention of the hottop having 8 digital lines so maybe would need some kind of PLC interface in addition. Homebrew (sorry!) is exciting  ;D

Meanwhile I'm all up init futzing with an fpga board, truth tables, and k-maps...

jimec3

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »
My Digital Logic prof. keeps extoling the virtues of the mbed every time I mention the Arduino. He's about a genius though, so I've no idea of the comparison. I saw mention of the hottop having 8 digital lines so maybe would need some kind of PLC interface in addition. Homebrew (sorry!) is exciting  ;D

Meanwhile I'm all up init futzing with an fpga board, truth tables, and k-maps...
Yeah yeah what ever Jmania.  Get over to my house this weekend and lets get this done.  You can solder right? The HotTop Needs an upgrade.

JasonG

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
Well one other thing about that digital logic prof. is that he has shown me how to solder surface mount. I haven't tried it yet, but sounds doable! He has been hacking away at Radio Shack RC cars and making them into autonomous vehicles. They kind of look like a PS3 with modchip...

milowebailey

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
My Digital Logic prof. keeps extoling the virtues of the mbed every time I mention the Arduino. He's about a genius though, so I've no idea of the comparison. I saw mention of the hottop having 8 digital lines so maybe would need some kind of PLC interface in addition. Homebrew (sorry!) is exciting  Grin.
Jason

The Mbed is cool, but twice the cost and you need other widgets to get the I/O that the Arduino has.  Arduino has 16 digital I/O and 6 analog....

I do like that the Mbed has Ethernet built in, but at the cost of other I/O.  The Mbed is definitely faster, more memory, etc. but from what I know the Arduino is more suited to roaster control for 1/2 the cost.

JasonG

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 09:26:46 AM »
Cheers Milo,
Thats what it looked like to me too!  But I bet it'll grow like the arduino has some day with shields available etc... I was checking out the TC4 too and see there's a new rev4 coming out shortly. It may make a good practice soldering project. :)

BTW, this prof says the best way to do the SM ICs is to use an oven after preparing the pads. I haven't watched the procedure yet but it sounds like it's worth a shot!

seldomseensmith

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 10:07:19 AM »
Hey Milo, I'm downloading this software now. Can you recommend a Thermocouple Data Logger I can order to use with this? My roaster's thermocouple has two output wires; one's going to the Watlow, and the other is hanging unused next to the cooling tray. Might as well put it to work, and this is something I've wanted for a long time.

Thanks