Author Topic: Krups Mokka Brew - Red Model  (Read 1561 times)

EricBNC

Krups Mokka Brew - Red Model
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:24:26 PM »
I thought I found a mini red plastic percolator common to thrift stores when I rang up this Krups Type 147 Household Coffee Maker (from the bottom of the machine - made in Germany too), but it turns out this is not a percolator at all. 

Apparently this device is an electric mini traveling mokka pot.  The compact device is rated at 300 watts and heats reasonably fast.  A custom container holds four servings of grounds (or beans) that fits below the brewing chamber parts.  The grounds basket has a built in gold filter and the middle piece has a spring loaded pressure release valve. I am not going to pretend I know exactly how to operate this thing, but that never stops me from trying. The brewing coffee comes out of what looks like and probably doubles as the handle. Yummy and hot with some sediment in the bottom of the cup similar to a good French press brewed with proper ground particle size.  The cup has a ton of body - drip cannot get you here, and Press isn't as clear with flavor notes.

If anyone knows how this is supposed to work so I do not blow myself up I would appreciate the input.

EricBNC

Re: Krups Mokka Brew - Red Model
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »
Turns out this is a Krups Cafe Voyager Type 147 mokka brewer - Someone on CG posted a link to the instructions on scribd:

http://www.scribd.com/KrupsCafeVoyager/d/20884907

It looks like I did us it correctly - might play around with grind size some just for fun.  I am missing the tote and the cup, but I can improvise.  I see what looks like a date code on the instructions - 07/91, so this unit is almost twenty years old.

Offline hobiwankinobi

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 03:23:42 PM »
Isn't that cool. You found that in a thrift store? I just got a small Melitta pot and an older La Pavoni  burr grinder for 4$ total the other day at a favorite thrift store of mine. I am going to pass them on to a friend of mine for the 4$ I have invested. Nothing like helping others.

Enjoy your new toy. The cup sounds wonderful. I am off to have a Clever cup right now.

Steve

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:53:34 AM »
I think I may have had my last road-cup of Starbucks.  I snagged a spotless Cafe Voyager off eBay this morning for $11 and change.

B|Java
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:55:41 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:43:21 AM »
I think I may have had my last road-cup of Starbucks.  I snagged a spotless Cafe Voyager off eBay this morning for $11 and change.

B|Java

I want to be there when you use it, to see you brew with plastic.   :nono:
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:14:01 AM »

I want to be there when you use it, to see you brew with plastic.   :nono:

The minute I posted I knew I would be caught.  Plastic vs SBux.  That is what it came down to.  Sin boldly.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 01:17:31 PM »
Let's unwrap this bugga'

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 01:18:41 PM »
...ooouuu...spotless

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »
Unveiling...

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
Ok ... time to fess up ... I have a plastic Black and Decker Brew'n'Go ... a one cup brewer that has a reusable filter that makes a great pourover drip brew.

Signed ... Unbold|Sinner

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »
I will wash this bad boy up and brew up a cup using standard ratios.  Have to see what size grind works.  Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:06:32 PM by BoldJava »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »
Enjoy your new brewing device Sin|Boldly.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
Made in Germany (so after the wall came down, no modifying West/East).

Thoughts.

It brews by pressure.  There are tiny screens on the part that appears to be a basket with holes.  

The cup brewed out at 182* into a ceramic cup.  A bit on the sharp side. I think the water is coming through the coffee too hot <?>.  I was using a vacpot grind so maybe I will move over to the right of a pourover grind, grinding more coarsely. The Mokka Brewer works on that same principle without that sharpness. I don't believe it has ever been used.  I think with some conditioning, this will be parked inside my suitcase.  It leaked a bit but I may have not screwed the top on tightly enough.

Convenient.  Simple.  Easily carried.  Beats the heck out of SBux.  Keeper.

B|Java
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:15:47 PM by BoldJava »