Author Topic: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...  (Read 37110 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Re: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »
I think I saw your thread on HB talking about PIDing the La Peppina. Do, or anyone you know, have a diagram of how to PID it?

MP, I paid a little more than I wanted to for it :) .

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »
Love my La Peppina...

What is your shot volume with a full basket?

Oz of espresso and g of coffee?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2011, 12:32:54 PM »
I think I saw your thread on HB talking about PIDing the La Peppina. Do, or anyone you know, have a diagram of how to PID it?

PID:  http://www.home-barista.com/levers/new-la-peppina-owner-t512.html#p5008

Schematic:  http://www.home-barista.com/levers/new-la-peppina-owner-t512.html#p3396

"Put 'da lime Peppina in 'da OE cup, you put 'da lime Peppina in 'da OE cup...<singing>

BoldJava

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
John,

D'you see the crema on that double?  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 06:22:01 PM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2011, 06:30:22 PM »
John,

D'you see the crema on that double?  

Yep...

Looks like maybe .75 ounce doubles.

Gotta consult with Staylever on what this means to the typical "4ozer" latte. Maybe 2 baskets and back to back doubles....maybe it means 3 ozers.  :icon_scratch:
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2011, 06:36:23 PM »
Yakster would likely know, but the 700W Peppina is not exactly known for it's steaming ability. I assume that is why at some point they made a 1000W?!? Also, I would think a PID would help it's efforts allowing the user to increase boiler temp post shot to drive up pressure?

BoldJava

« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2011, 06:52:22 PM »
Looks like maybe .75 ounce doubles.

Gotta consult with Staylever on what this means to the typical "4ozer" latte. Maybe 2 baskets and back to back doubles....maybe it means 3 ozers.  :icon_scratch:

I ain't the Calgary Critter, but in my reading, most folks keep the same ratio of espresso: milk and just settle in with smaller drinks.

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2011, 06:58:15 PM »
I ain't the Calgary Critter, but in my reading, most folks keep the same ratio of espresso: milk and just settle in with smaller drinks.

I can see that.

I can also see a shift towards the macchiato over the small milk latte with shots this size.

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2011, 07:00:01 PM »
I can also see a shift towards the macchiato over the small milk latte with shots this size.

Har, har, there goes yer art.

B|Java

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
I think a 1oz shot and 3oz of milk is just about perfect, for me.

Of course it depends on the coffee and how I want to pull it but as a general statement I like a 1 & 3 combo. Maybe a punchy coffee at .75oz would work but I think it would be a bit under-volume for my palate. Not that it would be bad or wrong, it would just be something less than what I like.

Most of the drinks in Sugar Land HQ were a 1 & 3 combo John, so that's gotta say something.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2011, 07:17:34 PM »

Most of the drinks in Sugar Land HQ were a 1 & 3 combo John, so that's gotta say something.

For sure..

But with .75 oz doubles you have 3oz lattes.

I'm not sure what the shot volume of your lever is... would you opt for 3ozers or try back to back doubles (maybe an extra basket)? It would be pretty easy to do 4-5 oz drinks with double doubles. Maybe you are able to pull 1oz shots so this may not be an issue but I'm thinking out the .75 oz situation.

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2011, 08:17:45 PM »

For sure..

But with .75 oz doubles you have 3oz lattes.

I'm not sure what the shot volume of your lever is... would you opt for 3ozers or try back to back doubles (maybe an extra basket)? It would be pretty easy to do 4-5 oz drinks with double doubles. Maybe you are able to pull 1oz shots so this may not be an issue but I'm thinking out the .75 oz situation.

These days I'm generally starting a shot with approx 14 - 14.5gms in the basket. I'll pull to get approx 1oz, but of course the coffee ultimately decides what the end result should be. I think as a rule of thumb it's fair to say a 1oz shot would be fairly standard with my PVL.

I've never pulled 2 x doubles into a milk drink, the PVL shots are so good that 1oz presents a lot in 3oz of milk. It would be easy to get 2 x doubles going at the same time as I've got the 2 grouphead machine, but I'm not interested in banging out 2 x doubles to pour in large milk because I enjoy savouring a small milk, giving it some real consideration, then tweaking the follow-on 1oz shot/3oz milk drink - which effectively gives me a different drink, if that's what I want.

Make sense?

BoldJava

« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2011, 05:20:23 PM »
Hardware for Friday:

Conti Prestina Lever
Oly Cremina Lever
La Peppina Lever

The Line-up:
Warrior
Wild Bill JJR
Peter
BoldJava

The Venue
Glen Ellyn, IL

Stay tuned for prose and pics.

B|Java

Conti Prestina (sample pic, dwarfing a copper-tone Cremina)

Glossy Flossy, Oly Cremina

and La Peppina (sample pic)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:45:24 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2011, 05:21:49 PM »
414-464-2188.

Call B|Java during the night to see if he can get to sleep. 
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2011, 07:08:15 PM »
414-464-2188.

Call B|Java during the night to see if he can get to sleep. 
That's not one of those 1-900 numbers in disguise is it?

He should be in bed now.... old coot ;D