Author Topic: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...  (Read 36996 times)

BoldJava

Re: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 05:36:25 AM »
1.  Sometimes I tire of Classical so I let them whistle new releases every so often.
2.  That's what things look like through my right eye, it looks much closer through my left eye.

Heavens, don't want to even start you on the virtual image projection.  It would wake John up and we would lose all control of this tread.

RE:  Tamping.  I noticed that with your PVL, you are polishing more than going after 30#s.  Seems like a very light tamp compared to the mantra, "30 lbs..."

Is a lever different?  Is it your grind that is different?  Is it just the PVL?

BoldJava

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 05:40:27 AM »
Woods.  Commissioning Dave Stephens to do a complete set of woods.
^ Tamper on Reg Barber SS base
^  Steam knob
^  Lever
^  Portafilter handle

Not boiler cap.  He says the heat and moisture do too much damage to it.  Woods?  Thinking very dark to complement the glossy black on black.  Let me toss up some examples to chew on.  Desert wood is out - too pricey.

Wenge
Coconut palm (dark)
Walnut
Black Walnut
bocote
cocobolo
Macassar Ebony
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:02:52 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »
Wenge

Dark Coconut wood

Walnut

Black Walnut

Bocote

Cocobolo

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:02:34 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 05:58:42 AM »
Macassar Ebony

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 06:56:08 AM »
1.  Sometimes I tire of Classical so I let them whistle new releases every so often.
2.  That's what things look like through my right eye, it looks much closer through my left eye.

Heavens, don't want to even start you on the virtual image projection.  It would wake John up and we would lose all control of this tread.

RE:  Tamping.  I noticed that with your PVL, you are polishing more than going after 30#s.  Seems like a very light tamp compared to the mantra, "30 lbs..."

Is a lever different?  Is it your grind that is different?  Is it just the PVL?

It's a lever thing. At least that's what I've finally come down to but maybe others are doing 30lbs with their lever.

milowebailey

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 07:04:11 AM »
Bubinga is one of my favorite woods.... it would go well with your new yellow machine.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:59:41 AM by milowebailey »

BoldJava

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 07:20:21 AM »
Here is his work with arabica wood.  Most "coffee" wood out there is not from the coffee family.

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 07:36:41 AM »
My day job is hardwood lumber, I have some 2" thick cherry scrap, drying some 3 inch thick right now.  Outside my door I have around 1 million board feet drying, only domestic hardwoods.  B/J its from Ohio so its extra tough.  I looked at the Bubinga online, that is really nice.

Ringo
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:39:09 AM by Ringo »
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 07:44:24 AM »
I like my Wenge RB tamper, but don't think it's dark enough to go on a black/chrome machine.  Plus, the grain is a tad too open IMO; I'd like something smoother that will take a better shine.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
You can even get the B|Java Logo added to your delron cap from these guys... truly a custom tamper.... even 0.1mm size differences in the base.

I may have to order one from here....

http://www.coffeetamper.com

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 11:40:53 AM »
Here you go B|Lever, just like a first person shooter video game.

Tulip latte pour

BoldJava

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 07:11:46 AM »
Gents, thanks for the offers on the cherry wood.  I have an email in to Cannonfodder.  I am leaning toward a Macassar ebony, cocobolo, or bocote.  I have asked C|F to weigh in on ideas, prices, etc.  I like the dark woods but with apparent grain showing.

B|Java
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:21:07 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »
Ordered the complete gasket/o-ring kit, new feet for post-powder coating, and lever pins from OE.  On their way to Chicago for the next step on the Cremina.

I am looking at a Richard Penney naked filter from OE.  Pricey, but this will be done once.  Will look nice with a wood handle.  http://www.orphanespresso.com/Richard-Penney-49mm-Bottomless-Portafilter--Brass-OR-Stainless_p_3495.html

Stainless steel. 

Good, basic intro to the Cremina here:  http://www.freshcoffeeshop.com/Coffee/en/espresso/olympia-cremina

Tons of solid info on the H-B lever forum as well.  Have some time to pour over it.

B|Java

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
I really like the new stainless steel one he is now making too! You could even go and get it chrome dipped if you wanted it to match the chrome of the Cremina. Although I do have to say they naturally look like they were meant to be together as is! Yours is going to look quite a bit like this one with the gloss black.

I should have the freshly gloss black powder coated outer shell and inner frame back either later today or Tuesday afternoon. I will call Ray after class to check on his progress.

Any updates on wood selection?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 03:14:52 PM by Warrior372 »