Author Topic: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...  (Read 37183 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...
« Reply #330 on: August 06, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »
16.5 grams of Red Bird Espresso

Tell me a bit about this Red Bird espresso...
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #331 on: August 06, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
It is good! B|Java brought it over to my place for the maiden voyage on the Cremina. The best shots we pulled match their description to a T with all of the main flavor components of a snickers bar. There was caramel, chocolate and nuttiness.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #332 on: August 06, 2011, 08:26:29 PM »
I'm thinking about sending a pound or two of commercial coffee down the portafilter of the Lusso to dial it in.

My stash is seriously low anyhow and it's time to restock so a stable/known coffee might be a good idea. I remember from Team Sugarland testing commercial beans doing a fast fade after day 3 but still...I might do it.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #333 on: August 06, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »
$50 for 5# shipped is a hot deal for a good blend.  I might order some too, and freeze it in canning jars.  You might blast through 2# the first week, and then you'll have a good reserve.  Dave says this blend holds together fairly long before fading, and you're close enough that you could have it a day or two out of the roaster.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #334 on: August 07, 2011, 05:14:41 AM »
It is good! B|Java brought it over to my place for the maiden voyage on the Cremina. The best shots we pulled match their description to a T with all of the main flavor components of a snickers bar. There was caramel, chocolate and nuttiness.

Red Bird?  H-B'ers have a lovefest with it.  http://www.home-barista.com/coffees/red-bird-espresso-t14846.html.  Some in the thread suggest 7 day rest after roast day, IRC.

As Warrior said, caramel, chocolates, and nuts.  Comfort shot.  I snagged 5 lbs, gave some to Warrior, JJR, and Peter.  Used what I could week 1 and then froze in pint jars.  I pull 8 oz out on Friday night and then we are good for the weekend.  I discern no deterioration in crema or taste.

I wanted to eliminate one variable.  Same coffee, shot after shot, grind after grind.  Redbird is a superb one to introduce you to the world of levers.  http://redbirdcoffee.com/redbirdespresso.html

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »
How long have new Cremina been at $3,850? I was just looking around Orphan and noticed that price. Last I remember they were hovering around $3,250. . . . . Am I hallucinating or did the price jump $600 in the past 2-3 months?

I am about to go get CAD images of the parts made and then wander over to a machine shop. I cannot imagine it would cost more than $1k to have a machine shop make the essential parts from scratch. . . . . weld a frame, boiler and cnc the group . . . .

Maybe I fell asleep at the wheel and they have been $3,850 for some time now. Could be sleep deprivation.

BoldJava

« Reply #336 on: August 11, 2011, 03:43:34 AM »
Doug has to pay for the machine in $s.  The dollar has slid almost 10percent against the Euro this year.  The machine came out of OE's gate at $3650 in ~ April, though I am sure he was in negotiations for a while before then. He has to charge more $s even if the company doesn't raise its price (in Euros).

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=USDEUR=X&t=1y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

BJava
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:45:17 AM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #337 on: August 11, 2011, 05:21:32 AM »
Why was the starting price so high?

I dont know much about that machine other than it looks good drenched in nunchaku wood.  8)

But it looks over double price no?

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #338 on: August 11, 2011, 05:23:28 AM »

I dont know much about that machine other than it looks good drenched in nunchaku wood.  8)

The sinking US buck plays a good part in that.

:-X
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #339 on: August 11, 2011, 05:28:40 AM »

Supply and demand.  They have a branded product; niche market.  Probably have a goal of producing XXX units for sale per year with a stabilized, non-growth strategy. I think I have read repeatedly that historically, their distribution was 165 units to NAmer, per year.  Don't know that factually -- just what I have seen more than once.

Obviously they sell at that price or they would have to drop the price.  They could take the specs and off-shore it and crank out tons.  Clearly, they aren't interested in doing that.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #340 on: August 11, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »
Let's see -- tomorrow we have Stumptown's Hairbender and Red Bird's espresso blend, along with Jeff's magic on the camera.

Life is just one beach party here in Visconsin.

B|Java

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #341 on: August 11, 2011, 05:52:59 PM »
Let's see -- tomorrow we have Stumptown's Hairbender and Red Bird's espresso blend, along with Jeff's magic on the camera.

Life is just one beach party here in Visconsin.

B|Java

I have some coffee that tastes like cheddar and brats, if you want me to bring it.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2011, 04:17:18 AM »
Orphan Espresso is uploading a series of 20+ YouTubes on rebuilding a '76 Cremina that someone bought off eBay and had shipped to Doug to rebuild.  Share-ware.  Doug didn't charge for the rebuild, just as a thank you to her for permitting the machine as showpiece in the process.  Wow.

I am particularly curious as I think that when the screen needs interior cleaning, haven't a clue on how to disassemble.  I think then entire group needs to come off.  Warrior will be close by when I take screw-driver in hand.

B|Java
Begins here: 

So You Got a Cremina--Rebuild Video Introduction
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:22:39 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #343 on: September 17, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »
Orphan Espresso is uploading a series of 20+ YouTubes on rebuilding a '76 Cremina that someone bought off eBay...

The YouTubes are interesting to follow along.  At one point, Doug discusses a dremel tool, how it slipped, he lost control and it got into his beard.  I hooted out loud.

BoldJava

« Reply #344 on: January 21, 2012, 06:19:11 AM »
Have been looking for a solution to the open wood caps on the boiler cap and the steam knob.  Score.

Stopped at a local hardware that has soup to nuts.  Chrome caps, with tension prongs for seating.  Perfect!

B|Java