Author Topic: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...  (Read 37179 times)

BoldJava

Re: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...
« Reply #345 on: August 26, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
Aha!  Found the portafilters!

We have company coming in all week and I was invited by the Czarina to straighten up some of my coffee toys.  Lo and behold, there was the portafilters, some citric acid, and my tamper.

I will clean the boiler this week, get it cleaned up, and have it ready to fire up for company.  And what coffee I have around.  Time to celebrate, all the way around.

BoldJava

« Reply #346 on: September 19, 2013, 09:52:33 AM »
Descaled the Cremina this morning, using Doug's guidance found here.  I had bought a claw/flexible button light to check the boiler.  Grabbed it at an auto supply store, $10.  http://www.amazon.com/MAXCRAFT-60184-Lighted-Magnetic-Pick-Up/dp/B0042D6H44/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

I use tap water filtered through the Britta.  I was surprised at how little mineral deposits in there.  Maybe the Britta is working better than I imagined.  The black coating on the brass boiler inners that Doug describes was there.

Easy, peasy.  Painting/remodeling projects done.  Our cafe' room is now up and running with the Cremina ready to go.

Orphan Espresso Tech Tip - Machine Descaling

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:00:09 AM by BoldJava »

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »
I've been pulling shots with my Cremina for years using refrigerator filtered water filtered again through a Britta.  I descale every 3 months with citric acid...little to no scale.  Seems Creminas are good with Britta, 'specially if you empty the machine before putting it to sleep. The water here is very mineralized leaving visible scale everywhere (cars,glass,metals) but inside the boiler! We change out Britta filters, a.c. filters, and descale and lube the Cremina quarterly.

BoldJava

« Reply #348 on: September 19, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
It's the lubing job that scares me.  Ill-founded?

Sent via phone with big, fat fingers.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:30:45 AM by BoldJava »

Cammie

« Reply #349 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:39 AM »
Scares me too.  :) Let me know how it goes.  I will need to do mine in the next few months.

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #350 on: September 19, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »

Yep...couple of dabs of Dow111 over here, a spray or 2 of food grade silicon over there, equals a smoothe pull. Don't want anything wearing out prematurely!

BoldJava

« Reply #351 on: September 19, 2013, 11:49:13 AM »
Yep...couple of dabs of Dow111 over here, a spray or 2 of food grade silicon over there, equals a smoothe pull. Don't want anything wearing out prematurely!

Any suggestions beyond this?  http://www.orphanespresso.com/Olympia-Cremina-Group-Maintenance-NAG_ep_622-1.html

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #352 on: September 19, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »

Any suggestions beyond this?  http://www.orphanespresso.com/Olympia-Cremina-Group-Maintenance-NAG_ep_622-1.html

Nope...Doug says it all. Or as FDR said, "there is nothing to fear but fear itself". Do it Dave, your machine will love you more.

BoldJava

« Reply #353 on: September 20, 2013, 07:53:53 AM »

Nope...Doug says it all. Or as FDR said, "there is nothing to fear but fear itself". Do it Dave, your machine will love you more.

OK, I will play.  See picture.  That gasket has to come out first, right?  Is it a common gasket I can find most anywhere, Ace, Home Depot or is an OEM required if I rip it up.

Fishing it out...I have dental picks.  Go after it with them?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 07:59:47 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #354 on: September 21, 2013, 02:07:23 PM »

I had Curly and Tim (machinist) look at the Cremina last night.  I am going to grab a rubber mallet and knock the piston out one night when they are over, looking over my shoulder, and learn how to do this maintenance.  Tim looked at the yoke (stretched somewhat) and said if it does give out (former owner clearly didn't do PM), it is shot.  Depending on the material of which the yoke is made, it can be redone, though not easy.  Keeping an eye on it and Tim will take a closer look once it is disassembled.

I will document it with photos so if we have any other 10Thumbs, you can take a run at it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:10:16 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »
Taming the beast.

Milo spent some quality time on the Cremina.  Really too much oomph on the steamer for my pours.  Always big bubbles.  Milo said we could turn down pstat but not a good idea because the shots are fine at this temp/pressure.  Alternatives are to:

1.  use a toothpick in one outlet
2.  get a different tip
3.  use more milk

Milo did use more milk and got the milk/pour down quite well.  I will give that a try for the next month as I now realize I use too little in the pitcher.  Thanks, coach!

Cammie

« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
Taming the beast.

Milo spent some quality time on the Cremina.  Really too much oomph on the steamer for my pours.  Always big bubbles.  Milo said we could turn down pstat but not a good idea because the shots are fine at this temp/pressure.  Alternatives are to:

1.  use a toothpick in one outlet
2.  get a different tip
3.  use more milk

Milo did use more milk and got the milk/pour down quite well.  I will give that a try for the next month as I now realize I use too little in the pitcher.  Thanks, coach!

Very nice.  I think that having a second/several back-up levers is always sensible....almost a necessity. Better pick up a Lusso as well. :)

BoldJava

« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2014, 08:37:35 AM »
Very nice.  I think that having a second/several back-up levers is always sensible....almost a necessity. Better pick up a Lusso as well. :)

Larry played on the Cremina quite a bit this week and actually prefers the PVL with the spring.  I don't know a PVL that well but as I have said before, after sampling his shots off the PVL in Portland, if I didn't have the Cremina at a reasonable price, I would grab a PVL in a second.

Yakster commented that folks move away from Levers because of the intimidation factor.  He stated that he finds levers more easily used than pump machines.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:10:56 AM by BoldJava »

jspain

« Reply #358 on: June 17, 2014, 08:48:01 AM »
Dave,

How much milk were you steaming before, and how much milk did Larry get too for a better pour??? I'm at 4oz.

BoldJava

« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2014, 09:09:35 AM »
Dave,

How much milk were you steaming before, and how much milk did Larry get too for a better pour??? I'm at 4oz.

Have no idea.  Will measure tomorrow.  2.5 before <?>, 4 oz now is probably pretty close.