Author Topic: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...  (Read 39325 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2011, 07:36:25 AM »
I have no interest in this thread ... I have no interest in this thread ... I have no interest in this thread ... I have no interest in this thread!

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

BoldJava

« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2011, 08:00:24 AM »

Who's the next to fall for the lever's siren call?

Interesting.  I don't think I could have started with a lever.  The Silvia and then Milo's add-on PID were the steps I needed along the way.

What grabs me about the Cremina/lever in general:
^  Hands-on.  Your call of "at one with the machine."  I know it is a bit tongue in cheek while at the same time meaning the zen of if.  Being tactile, I just love it.
^  Craftsmanship.  I have a pocket watch.  I use my Grandmother's fountain pen.  Now I have a Swiss-made espresso machine that invites me to join in the process.
^  No pump.  Nothing like a drip, drip, drip from the porta-filter at 6.30 a.m. without that pump going <garuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump...>
^  Lots to grow into.  Learning right torque.  Steaming will be a whole 'nother challenge.  John has nothing to worry about.  In reading, lots of guys toothpick mod the Cremina's wand.  Calm it down.  Like putting a governor on a '57 Chevy.  No.

Jump in.  Plenty of room in leverland.

B|Java
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:05:33 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
The Cremina has the stubbiest PF out there, 6.5."  Since I work with a doserless MACAP, I grabbed this deep funnel from Orphan Espresso.  The depth from the top of funnel to the bottom of the basket is 2.5."  Grab a dissecting need and distribute.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:52:55 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »
Two baskets work in the PF.  One on the left is the Cremina.  On the right is an Elektra MCAL basket, both 49 mm.  I am using the Cremina basket and just sticking with it.  Keep the variables to a minimum.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:09:28 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »
The Olympia genes in the basket, being homogeneous with the rest of the machine will produce a more betterer shot.

Glad the purchase is already paying big dividends tangible and otherwise.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2011, 06:29:18 PM »
Just coming back to the land of coffee after a long weekend in Spokane. Welcome to the Land of Levers, B|Cremina. Though I'm a relative lever noob myself I've pulled enough to know you are going to love leverdom.

my budget is my salvation in this case

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DlW2Hbyew

Tex

« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2011, 06:41:33 PM »
Just coming back to the land of coffee after a long weekend in Spokane. Welcome to the Land of Levers, B|Cremina. Though I'm a relative lever noob myself I've pulled enough to know you are going to love leverdom.

my budget is my salvation in this case

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DlW2Hbyew

One of my all-time favs! How can you go wrong with that or "Down in the River to Pray" or "Constant Sorrow"?

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2011, 07:18:42 PM »
Welcome to "Leverland" Dave...  ;D

You may wanna think about getting a bottomless portafilter. Mssr Penny who made these beauties
for Orphan has a Cremina as well. Pulling bottomless will teach you a lot about dosing,leveling,and tamping. My son recently gifted me one for my birthday that truly rocked my world...

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »

You may wanna think about getting a bottomless portafilter. Mssr Penny who made these beauties
for Orphan has a Cremina as well. Pulling bottomless will teach you a lot about dosing,leveling,and tamping. My son recently gifted me one for my birthday that truly rocked my world...

Totally agree on the bottomless for the lever.

Tex

« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »

Definite +1!

You think your dosing is fine until you go naked, then all your shortcomings are exposed. >:D

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
He does have a stainless steel bottomless PF. I believe it is with Dave Stephens at the moment getting fitted with custom wood.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »
He does have a stainless steel bottomless PF. I believe it is with Dave Stephens at the moment getting fitted with custom wood.

That sounds like cannon fodder if you ask me, Warrior.   ;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2011, 09:04:41 PM »
I can not wait to see the machine with the custom wood pieces on it. It will look pretty slick!

BoldJava

« Reply #208 on: May 31, 2011, 03:17:11 AM »

A-up, that's correct.  Cocobolo handle for the naked PF, tamper, steam knob, lever, and boiler cap.  Wood reigns.

B|Java

Sample on Cannonfodder's Tin Man:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:19:39 AM by BoldJava »

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #209 on: May 31, 2011, 05:56:57 AM »
I have no interest in this thread ... I have no interest in this thread ... I have no interest in this thread ... I have no interest in this thread!

;D

Ha ha ha...
+1
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor