Author Topic: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...  (Read 39294 times)

Tex

Re: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...
« Reply #225 on: June 01, 2011, 01:51:07 PM »

If I told you what I've been researching the last 2 hours you would not believe me.  ;)

What I'm able to confirm at this time is that the wife is on board (finally after some less fun purchases) with new machine being the next major purchase... lights are greening up.

A new, new machine or a new, old machine?  Lever?

Is it a simple lever machine or complex?
The Lever, a Simple Machine

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »
A new, new machine or a new, old machine?  Lever?

Well.... it's been an all over the map day.

For a couple hours I just about had myself convinced to give up on the lever machines entirely and was looking back at double boilers.

A few emails off line with Mr. Taylor and I think I'm back to a lever.

For the price I'm trying to figure out if there is a better deal than a new PVL single group from 1st line. It's starting to shape up to be the best bang in this category from what I can tell. My thinking is that either a second portafilter or at least basket will allow for very quick back to back shots and maybe the second group isn't needed for my situation. This puts a brand new lever machine on my counter for 1K.

The export only saves $150.. Would I regret going smaller over $150?

I'm not sure paying for shipping from Italy but taking off 20% VAT saves anything after converting to Euros and so on..

I'm not sure that rebuilding something vintage is the best option for me either...I've got no brand allegiance or even any strong opinions so there is no strong allure of owning an "xyz" so if the price to restore comes too close to new...  :-\

I don't really want a big commercial machine...

So while I was looking at comparisons of double boilers and admiring the Salvatore hand craftsmanship sitting here right now It's looking like the PVL is going to be difficult not to aim at when the trigger finger actually starts squeezing.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
A new Cremina, amortized over its life, will be more cost effective than anything.   :angel:
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
A new Cremina, amortized over its life, will be more cost effective than anything.   :angel:

Pthffffff!

Crazy talk.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
So while I was looking at comparisons of double boilers and admiring the Salvatore hand craftsmanship sitting here right now It's looking like the PVL is going to be difficult not to aim at when the trigger finger actually starts squeezing.

Good choice. That is right where I was going until Mike's Cremina rose from the ashes.

Grab a second PF and basket, if needed, but I think your concern over shot size will moderate once you tuck your lips around that first nailed shot.

Pull.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:51:57 PM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2011, 04:30:06 PM »

Pull.

I'm just about satisfied that I'll avert the "you got the wrong tv sillyhead" syndrome.

But I don't have all the cash set aside just yet  I did however make a brilliant move on getting this item on the last purchase agenda list. There is a new list in place already but the machine (that somehow obtained the lowest priority for purchase)  :icon_scratch: must be procured before the new list comes up for purchasing.

It's getting real.  8)

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »
If you do go with a PVL think about this too. The 1 and 2 group machines have an identical footprint, so they will both take up the same amount of counter space. At 1st-line a Black 1-group PVL is $969.00 and a Black 2-group is $1,229. If you go on Orphanespresso a second portafilter with a handle costs $82.50 and a PF Basket costs $18.50 for a total of $101. So, with this setup a 1-group will cost $1,070 with the 2-group still at $1,229, so the second group is costing an additional $160.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »
At 1st-line a Black 1-group PVL is $969.00

Back order....

But I have no idea how often they restock.

I've seen pictures of red ones, white... But I don't know who sells those colors.

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2011, 06:31:47 PM »
If you do go with a PVL think about this too. The 1 and 2 group machines have an identical footprint, so they will both take up the same amount of counter space. At 1st-line a Black 1-group PVL is $969.00 and a Black 2-group is $1,229. If you go on Orphanespresso a second portafilter with a handle costs $82.50 and a PF Basket costs $18.50 for a total of $101. So, with this setup a 1-group will cost $1,070 with the 2-group still at $1,229, so the second group is costing an additional $160.

Excellent point - assuming someone would want both a bottomless & regular PF. Are they available already cut?

BoldJava

« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2011, 06:36:04 PM »
At 1st-line a Black 1-group PVL is $969.00

Back order....

You are back to Europe with Shaun.  I believe 1st-Line told me November.  They were quite ... non-chalant <being generous>... about it.  OnWineTime lists it but they are out of stock as well.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist

Lee Morrison

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2011, 06:47:18 PM »

Excellent point - assuming someone would want both a bottomless & regular PF. Are they available already cut?

Yes. A bottomless one on OE is $95.

BoldJava

« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2011, 06:57:20 PM »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #238 on: June 01, 2011, 07:02:27 PM »

Shaun can confirm but I believe he ordered directly from Italy.

That place is in Italy.

By the time you subtract the VAT but pay shipping  and convert to Euros I think it's the same price as 1st line.

But it's red!  8)

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #239 on: June 01, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
$1191 shipped to NAmer, chrome or red.

No black <sad face, very sad face>
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:34:54 PM by milowebailey »