Author Topic: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...  (Read 39308 times)

Tex

Re: '82 Olympia Cremina Lever...
« Reply #255 on: June 22, 2011, 07:25:30 AM »

Actually I should have gotten a ding for being right, not a buzz for being wrong . . .

I cannot wait to see the machine with wood on it, triangular or 6 nub top.

Ding, ding, ding.

What a hoot.  I have been working from memory as I am on the road up north.  I would have bet you my next paycheck it was triangular.  As it works out, Cannonfodder suggests that the triangular shape which I had etched in my memory will tolerate the heat better anyways.

See how things work out when you permit it?

B|Java

Just proves that fantasy is better than reality for some folks. :P

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2011, 07:32:10 AM »

Actually I should have gotten a ding for being right, not a buzz for being wrong . . .

Ding, ding, ding.

What a hoot.  I have been working from memory as I am on the road up north.  I would have bet you my next paycheck it was triangular.  As it works out, Cannonfodder suggests that the triangular shape which I had etched in my memory will tolerate the heat better anyways.

B|Java

:o
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2011, 07:37:32 AM »

Ding, ding, ding.

B|Java

:o

Hey, I speak from experience; you should've seen Mrs T2. She was a doll to look at but had the heart of an assassin. Hell, even her dog kept trying to run away after she had his balls cut off. When I felt she was trying to do the same to me I hightailed it out of there! :o

BoldJava

« Reply #258 on: June 30, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
L-R

Boiler cap, xtra PF, Steam Knob, Lever Handle, Tamper, and PF, all from the same morphing grained piece of cocobolo

Zowie...

B|Java
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:32:58 PM by BoldJava »

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #259 on: June 30, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »
Wow, sharp looking!

But where's the espresso?

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #260 on: June 30, 2011, 04:42:36 PM »
Put them on the machine already . . . Come on :) .

BoldJava

« Reply #261 on: June 30, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »

But where's the espresso?

'Da wood be in Pennsyvane, 'mon.  Patient. We be jammin' soon denuff.

Bob Marley Jammin

BoldJava

« Reply #262 on: June 30, 2011, 05:06:38 PM »
RE:  Grain.  "All in cocobolo, it was an interesting piece of wood. The grain changed dramaticly from one end of the stock to the other. You can see how the grain transitioned from piece to piece."  Cannonfodder.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #263 on: June 30, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »
The reddish color is going to look awesome against the black and chrome!

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »
L-R

Boiler cap, xtra PF, Steam Knob, Lever Handle, Tamper, and PF, all from the same morphing grained piece of cocobolo

Zowie...

B|Java

Just stunning! I saw those over at HB. I've tried to enlist a few fellas up here in B.C. for handle projects and nobody is inclined. I'm gonna have to get Cannonfodder on the job too. I have a few machines I want outfitted with Cocobolo handles.

OO :icon_rr:
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

BoldJava

« Reply #265 on: July 02, 2011, 10:21:48 AM »
After a month:

Surprises:
` The Cremina is much more forgiving than I ever anticipated.  I think I have had 3 sink shots in the short time I have been learning.
` The Cremina is giving good shots, even as I very slowly ascend the learning curves.  Some slips, some gains.  Stellar shots loom far on the horizon but that is what we walk towards.
` The 1.25-1.5 oz shot is fine.  Always worked with 17-18 grams with the Silvia.  I am working with 14 grams with the Swiss Miss.  Like John, I was concerned about smaller volume.  It has become a non-issue for me.
` Tamping - Having watched Peter and Shaun tamp, I am less convinced that 30# turns water into wine.  I have moved away from pressure and am focusing on distribution.  I tamp with my thumbs pressing on the lever cylinder, working for tamper (puck) evenness.  I bet I am not using more than 8-10#s.

Perplexities:
`  The milk.  I have nailed a tight micro-foam one time.  I haven't a clue what I did differently.  Other milks have been bubble city to steamed milk without froth.  Long way to climb.  Will practice with water and soap sometime.

The weekend ritual is a vacpot for a dawn greeter, followed by a macchiato after breakfast.  After a bit, I prepare a "Gibraltar" (hate to see what Milo does with that).  1.5 oz shot with a 2 oz froth in a Bodum boroscilate tulip cup.  Delicious and every bit as good as the macchiato that Alterra prepped on a 3 group Zocca with the same coffee this week.

Czarina asked me, "Are you satisfied with your purchase?"  

"Couldn't be more pleased," as I sipped away.  It's everything I wanted and more.  Come quickly, Postal Peeps.

B|Java

http://www.jlhufford.com/images/bodum-assam-espresso.jpg
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:01:04 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #266 on: July 02, 2011, 11:54:41 AM »
I, for one (as your friend), am deeeeeeelighted that you've found your espresso soul-mate in the Swiss Miss.  Deeeeeeeelighted!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #267 on: July 02, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
After a month:

Surprises:
` The Cremina is much more forgiving than I ever anticipated.  I think I have had 3 sink shots in the short time I have been learning.

3 for 3, that's awesome B|Lever.  Somehow I know that's an improvement....... :o

Perplexities:
`  The milk.  I have nailed a tight micro-foam one time.  I haven't a clue what I did differently.  Other milks have been bubble city to steamed milk without froth.  Long way to climb.  Will practice with water and soap sometime.

Yes, cleaning your pitcher once in a while is a good idea

The weekend ritual is a vacpot for a dawn greeter, followed by a milwaukeatto©  after breakfast.  After a bit, I prepare a "Gibralter" (hate to see what Milo does with that).  1.5 oz shot with a 2 oz froth in a Bodum boroscilate tulip cup.  Delicious and every bit as good as the macchiato that Alterra prepped on a 3 group Zocca with the same coffee this week.

Moving from Milwakeatto©  to a Gibrlater.... Is that an progression in pooched roast drinks?

Gibralter: Sarsaparilla — in a dirty glass

We chalk up the rise of the Gibraltar as one of coffee’s more pointless creations — an artifact of America’s milk-engorged bastardization of the standard cappuccino.

BoldJava

« Reply #268 on: July 02, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »

Gibralter: Sarsaparilla — in a dirty glass

We chalk up the rise of the Gibraltar as one of coffee’s more pointless creations — an artifact of America’s milk-engorged bastardization of the standard cappuccino.

All the more reason to stick with the NYTimes than blogs <wink>

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #269 on: July 06, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »
Check the pstat settings.  I will probably find a hose that manages the heat and use this as is for "training wheels."  ...

Stopped by the auto mechanics and thanked them for the hose that I used in concert with the Omega gauge on the steaming wand.  It is silicone and it can manage the high temps.  Perfect fit, works like a charm.  It is a NAPA part, 702418, EGR (Exhaust, Gas, Recirculation) Hose for a Ford in case you ever need the right app.

B|Java