Author Topic: Why a PID on a HX machine?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
Why a PID on a HX machine?
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:05:59 AM »
So, I'm thinking about getting a friend for my PVExport.   While I love the little lever for single cortados (thanx Dave for putting a label on my favorite drink), it just doesn't cut it when I have people over.  I bought the small footprint lever with the intention of pairing it will a small footprint HX machine, and my thoughts have been drifting over to the Pasquini G4 series.   But, for the life of me, I can't figure out why I would want a PID on it.

Am I missing something?
LMWDP #440

SJM

Re: Why a PID on a HX machine?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:33:48 AM »
Tex mentioned a long time ago that the reason he put a PID on his Bunn ES-1A was just so he didn't have to listen to the clicky clacky of the pstat (?) going on and off....

Susan

GC7

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
My Quickmill Anita has been PID'd and working perfectly for over 5 years now.

reasons for the PID
1- It's more reliable than any pressurestat that is available to put in the machine
2- The rock steady boiler temperatures make the recovery time more predictable (though the group thermometer could tell me when recovery is at a point where I know the flush to get a desired temp)
3- If you can wait 10 minutes between shots I can set a lower the boiler temperature and make the machine run straight espresso at desired temperatures without flushing.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 11:24:14 AM »
Educate me please:   The pressurestat does <blank>.
LMWDP #440

SJM

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:32 PM »

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
LMWDP #440