Author Topic: Curious to Try Chemex: What's the Best Combination?  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
Re: Curious to Try Chemex: What's the Best Combination?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Does the Kone stainless filter prevent sludge from getting through?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
Does the Kone stainless filter prevent sludge from getting through?

It'll have something to do w/ which grinder you use, but the sludge is very minimal in comparison to a typical press pot, and I'd say still a tad less than an Espro (since that may be what you're used to).  With my Virtuoso doing the grinding, you can actually take the last swig of a cup through the Kone.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
I also have less sludge with my Kone than with a press.  For me, the sticky wicket is how long it takes to brew a 10 cup Chemex with the cone.  It takes a little less than 10 minutes for all 50 ounces to make it through the filter.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

BoldJava

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 11:40:20 AM »
I also have less sludge with my Kone than with a press.  For me, the sticky wicket is how long it takes to brew a 10 cup Chemex with the cone.  It takes a little less than 10 minutes for all 50 ounces to make it through the filter.

Hold the KONE up to the light.  Could be embedded fines.  I go after mine with a dish scrubbie once a week with hot soapy water, scrubbing the inside and outside and it helps move the liquid along.

BoldJava

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 06:26:26 AM »
Have used the Chemex/KONE set up consistently.  Yesterday, during the Gopher's Cupping session, I knocked the edge of the kettle on the top lip of the Chemex.  C-r-a-c-k.  <Sick feeling in stomach).

Knew she was a goner the second I felt it.  It goes without saying, we had plans A-G in place for the next set-up to be in place for the evaluation series. 

Ordered a replacement this morning from Coffeekind.com, a referral off Amazon.  They had the best price for a 6-cup glass handled Chemex at $37 shipped.  I like the glass-handled ones.  Had a wooden collar ones for years before I chipped it.  Wooden collar makes no sense.  High putz-factor every time you wish to wash/clean the item.

Ad/humor from a bygone era:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:31:16 AM by BoldJava »