Author Topic: Yama 8-Cup Vacpot, Design Change?  (Read 648 times)

BoldJava

Yama 8-Cup Vacpot, Design Change?
« on: May 26, 2011, 03:19:10 AM »
Last week I broke the upper dome on my 8-cupper as the plastic dome holder decided to stay put when I slid the dome across the counter.  Order up, Orphan Espresso.

This morning I used the new upper dome for the first time.  Surprise.  The descending tube is either miscast or has been intentionally re-engineered to preclude the use of a standard Cory filter.  It has a thinner neck (one straight side at the top of the tube) and the standard Cory glass rod will not fit into it.  The neck is too thin.

Fortunately, I have a Pyrex "long," a spring arrangement that reaches way down and can easily be hooked over the end of the tube.  The "New Cory" will also drop in there as does a Corning rod.

Wonder if this is a redesign is to preclude use of the Cory and cut-off implosion suits at the pass.  Can't sue if you can't use a glass rod in it.

B|Java
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:22:55 AM by BoldJava »

jspain

Re: Yama 8-Cup Vacpot, Design Change?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:17:28 AM »
WOW! I just got a whole new unit. I've broken tops and bottoms and I also broke my top unit about a month ago and I MUST have an 8 cup Yama! Still my favorite brewing method!

My new unit was just like the old. I have a couple Cory's and I'd not like the idea of not using a cory rod! Better cup, easier cleaning! Maybe I need to get another old style before I break this one and can't use my old Cory rods.....? Cloth and springs just aren't the same....  jim

jspain

Re: Yama 8-Cup Vacpot, Design Change?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:58:04 AM »
Jim,

You might want to pick up one of Bold|Trader's Pyrex Lox-In glass rods with the long spring.  It gives you all the joy of a glass filter rod with the added advantage of less bobble because of the lox-in spring that holds it in place.

I've used the Cory, the Silex Lox-In with a shorter spring and now just use the Pyrex.  It's also nice not to worry about dropping the rod if you flip the top piece over to scoop out the spent grounds.

;D