Author Topic: An odd "pop"  (Read 804 times)

ph33nyx

An odd "pop"
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:26:25 AM »
My current espresso machine is an old Sulton (imagine something you'd find at Walmart - It was a gift...I didn't buy it). Anyway, the last few times I've used it, about half way through the process I hear a "pop", then steam starts coming out the top where the screw on lid is, and I start seeing water drip out the wand area. Would this be a seal popping?

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: An odd "pop"
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:33:47 AM »
My current espresso machine is an old Sulton (imagine something you'd find at Walmart - It was a gift...I didn't buy it). Anyway, the last few times I've used it, about half way through the process I hear a "pop", then steam starts coming out the top where the screw on lid is, and I start seeing water drip out the wand area. Would this be a seal popping?

I don't know espresso machines as well as others (or if Sultons have relief valves) but that sounds like a relief valve to me.. a seal would typically pop and then you would not get pressure the next time you use it.. a relief valve should pop then reset when it cools off..  question is... why is it popping?? either the relief valve is weak with age and popping early or your Sulton is building to much pressure.

Tex

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:40:05 AM »
What kind of machine is it? Steam, pump, manual?

How about a picture of it.

ph33nyx

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:52:02 AM »
I'm guessing it's the steam variety? It looks similar to this:

Tex

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:06:57 AM »
I'm guessing it's the steam variety? It looks similar to this:

IIRC, there should be a pressure release/safety valve in the cap. If that's opening, it's likely that the thermostat is not working. These machines are not repairable, so I'd say it's time to shop for a new coffee maker, maybe an upgrade to something like an Aerobi Aeropress.

ph33nyx

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:10:16 AM »
IIRC, there should be a pressure release/safety valve in the cap. If that's opening, it's likely that the thermostat is not working. These machines are not repairable, so I'd say it's time to shop for a new coffee maker, maybe an upgrade to something like an Aerobi Aeropress.

I use an Aeropress at work  :)

I've been looking at the Gaggia's, so I guess I'll go the replacement route for something better at the house.

Tex

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:19:28 AM »

I use an Aeropress at work  :)

I've been looking at the Gaggia's, so I guess I'll go the replacement route for something better at the house.

OK, then you'll want to check these out: Gaggia Classic & Cunill Tranquilo, both excellent home machines.