Author Topic: Breville® the Smart Grinderâ„¢ Model BCG800XL at BB&B  (Read 1270 times)

roastingnerd

Yesterday I got an email ad from Bed-Bath&Beyond and there was some pretty high end espresso stuff.  I was looking for a grinder that could really do espresso grinds well to replace my Capresso Infinity and found the Breville® the Smart Grinderâ„¢ Model BCG800XL .  It was only $199.85 and seems to have all the bells and whistles needed to make a good espresso grind.  Has anyone ever used one of these?  I got a 20% off coupon in the ad so I'm really tempted.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Breville® the Smart Grinder™ Model BCG800XL at BB&B
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 07:52:24 AM »
IMHO you would be better off buying a used commercial espresso grinder.

It will probably outlast you with its great quality and the grind is great.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 08:24:43 AM »
IMHO you would be better off buying a used commercial espresso grinder.

It will probably outlast you with its great quality and the grind is great.

+1

Or get one of these.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:28:44 AM »
I say buy the Breville.  You can be the scout and report back to the rest of us.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:35:44 AM »
I say buy the Breville.  You can be the scout and report back to the rest of us.

You sound like my cousin Marty - he was always daring me to do stuff that he'd never do himself. >:D

My advice to the OP; never listen to folks like Marty, and never buy a grinder without a proven track record. They all sound good on paper, but few measure up. And that's a lot of money to spend for a paper weight! :angel:

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »

You sound like my cousin Marty - he was always daring me to do stuff that he'd never do himself. >:D

My advice to the OP; never listen to folks like Marty, and never buy a grinder without a proven track record. They all sound good on paper, but few measure up. And that's a lot of money to spend for a paper weight! :angel:

+1

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 11:58:03 AM »
But every grinder, at one point didn't have a proven track record.  Somebody has to bite the bullet and see how they are.

Comfy in M'waukee,
Cousin Marty

Tex

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »
But every grinder, at one point didn't have a proven track record.  Somebody has to bite the bullet and see how they are.

Comfy in M'waukee,
Cousin Marty

Change is good, so go ahead and get one!

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »

Comfy in M'waukee,
Cousin Marty

I'm not the one interested.

Tex

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »
But every grinder, at one point didn't have a proven track record.  Somebody has to bite the bullet and see how they are.

Comfy in M'waukee,
Cousin Marty

I'm not the one interested...

...in buying? Funny how different forums work. Over on the Gaggia group, our gal Susan makes sure anyone commenting about grinders either has had first hand knowledge of it or she shuts them up, fast. She just won't tolerate gossipy palaver like this. I respect that in a moderator! 8)

fcar

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
Checked it out: 
Breville Smart Grinder Model BCG800XL @ Bed Bath & Beyond

Looks worth taking a chance with 20% off!

Tex

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 02:28:36 PM »
Checked it out: 
Looks worth taking a chance with 20% off!

Oh hell yes ::), I'd always trust the manufacturer and retailer to tell me the truth about a product!

jspain

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »
Nice video!

I'd love to see some reviews from folks who "do" espresso! At that price it would be a good experiment and if it didn't work for espresso, then it looks like a good everyday grinder for other brew methods.....  jim

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 02:35:58 PM »
But every grinder, at one point didn't have a proven track record.  Somebody has to bite the bullet and see how they are.

Comfy in M'waukee,
Cousin Marty

...in buying? Funny how different forums work. Over on the Gaggia group, our gal Susan makes sure anyone commenting about grinders either has had first hand knowledge of it or she shuts them up, fast. She just won't tolerate gossipy palaver like this. I respect that in a moderator! 8)

I have no idea what that post is meant to say Tex.

Somebody asked for opinions; you said don't waste your money; I said someone has to be the first one to buy; you said I should buy one; I said I wasn't the one who expressed interest.  What about that is gossipy palaver?

Tex

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 02:46:05 PM »

Comfy in M'waukee,
Cousin Marty

I have no idea what that post is meant to say Tex.

Somebody asked for opinions; you said don't waste your money; I said someone has to be the first one to buy; you said I should buy one; I said I wasn't the one who expressed interest.  What about that is gossipy palaver?

Who said it had to mean something? It was just an observation (aka Gossipy Palaver). 8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 02:54:36 PM by Tex »