Author Topic: Yama 25 cup cold brewer, an experiment  (Read 2731 times)

milowebailey

Yama 25 cup cold brewer, an experiment
« on: June 22, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »
Yama, yama, ding dong ;D

I might sleep in the doghouse tonight..

I assume I'm going to have to experiment with this a bit.  I plan to try a few different grinds and doses to see what comes out the best.  Suggestions appreciated.

B|Gadget doesn't have one of these..... yet
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:29:08 PM by milowebailey »

milowebailey

Re: Yama 25 cup cold brewer, an experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:35:38 PM »
The instructions are horrible.  (yes I read them, reason it came with both ceramic and paper filters....).  do I use just a ceramic or do I use both?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »
I think it'll brew so slowly, it won't hurt to use both, but think the ceramic would work alone.  I'd also suggest using it like a Toddy, with a grind somewhat finer than drip.

It would take a lot more than this contraption for the fine Mrs. Milo to put you in the doghouse.  She likes it when you buy things like this.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
I am sooooo jealous

Larry I fear for the safety or your marriage. As a friend I am willing to take it off your hands. You need to box up the thing and send it my way.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:03:01 PM »
I am sooooo jealous

Larry I fear for the safety or your marriage. As a friend I am willing to take it off your hands. You need to box up the thing and send it my way.

I see you want to follow the Tex business model?

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »
I admire your adventurous spirit Larry! I see this device in the UCC Cafes here in Manila, but never had the itch to buy one for myself.  :angel:
No coffee, No workee!

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:09:49 PM »
I am sooooo jealous

See y'all need to marrying a girl like me (not me, but girls like me). I have all kinds of espresso equipment so there's never too many machines, no grinder is too big for the counter top, I have about 1000 albums so the music is never too loud and a vintage car is never too old...lol.

OO :icon_rr:
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Tex

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:16:14 PM »
Yama, yama, ding dong ;D

I might sleep in the doghouse tonight..

I assume I'm going to have to experiment with this a bit.  I plan to try a few different grinds and doses to see what comes out the best.  Suggestions appreciated.

B|Gadget doesn't have one of these..... yet

That's the dangdest bong I've ever seen. I think you're missing the bowl.

Tex

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
I am sooooo jealous

Hey, he fell for this trick once, why not again?

milowebailey

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:44:54 PM »
Mrs. Milowebailey came home and saw the Yama.... I said "don't worry I'll take it to work".... she said "no you won't, it's too cool to take there..... it stays".... I am blessed with a good wife! 8) 8)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:08:51 AM by milowebailey »

milowebailey

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »
What are you going to use as an extraction medium?  I've a friend who uses a recirculating pump to extract coffee using tequila.  Damnedest stuff.
Water!  I've heard if it's mixed with ground coffee beans roasted to perfection can make a great tasting drink! ;D

After water.... I'm thinking vodka.

Pyment

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 03:40:24 AM »
What are you going to use as an extraction medium?  I've a friend who uses a recirculating pump to extract coffee using tequila.  Damnedest stuff.

Water!  I've heard if it's mixed with ground coffee beans roasted to perfection can make a great tasting drink! ;D

After water.... I'm thinking vodka.

Absinthe

I have heard you drink it while watching the extraction. I have heard that grande wormwood makes watching those kind of things entertaining (the fact that its 126 proof helps, too).

I happen to have a couple of these:

My daughter and I picked them up after the tour of the distillery. Made in Wisconsin!

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 03:58:58 AM »
I am sooooo jealous

See y'all need to marrying a girl like me (not me, but girls like me). I have all kinds of espresso equipment so there's never too many machines, no grinder is too big for the counter top, I have about 1000 albums so the music is never too loud and a vintage car is never too old...lol.

OO :icon_rr:

what she said..  my understanding wife very patiently tried to keep us and the been cooler dry as I was roasting in a surprise rain shower...

milowebailey

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »
Yama dripped all night.  After 9 hours about 1 of the 1.5 liters of water had passed through the coffee bed.

Being the patient guy I am  :angel: I poured about 1/2 cup of the extracted juice into a travel mug, and heated a half cup of water and pour that in as I headed out the door.  Hot I'm not sure about.  I think I miss the acidity... or maybe need to change the grind a little tighter...

Any Toddy brewers out there that can offer some tips?

I'll be making an iced something when I get home today.   

The Yama does have the mad scientist cool factor and if I had a shop, I'd definitely have one of these dripping away just for the cool factor...

With Iced drinks, if I were to add some milk for fun, should I steam the milk and pour it into the cold coffee?   I'm such a noob at this thing.....

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
I use half and half for iced coffee.  Toddy concentrate, cream, sugar, and maybe flavored syrup.  That mix gets whipped with a battery-frother-thingamajig, then ice cubes, and it's ready.  The beauty of the Toddy or your Yama is that the coffee is cold; steaming the milk would mean more ice would have to be added, which IMHO dilutes it more than you want.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you