Author Topic: Nuova Simonelli Oscar Solenoid Leak  (Read 4048 times)

Tex

Re: Nuova Simonelli Oscar Solenoid Leak
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »
I tried holding the barb and the whole fitting turns clockwise and counter clockwise but does not loosen. The fitting will turn around on the Teflon tube if the barb isn't held stationary.  I cannot figure this one out...

I've asked them for help once or twice, and found them pretty helpful: support@nuovadistribution.com
Thanks for all the help - I will contact them. I did finally manage to get the tube out by pushing the black ring up while pulling on the fitting. I cleaned inside the opening and trimmed some tubing but I still get a leak - maybe the fitting can wear out? I do not know.

If it was mine, and I planned to keep it, I'd find a way to switch everything over to copper tubing. Plastic tubing sucks at maintaining temps.

EricBNC

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
I tried holding the barb and the whole fitting turns clockwise and counter clockwise but does not loosen. The fitting will turn around on the Teflon tube if the barb isn't held stationary.  I cannot figure this one out...

I've asked them for help once or twice, and found them pretty helpful: support@nuovadistribution.com
Thanks for all the help - I will contact them. I did finally manage to get the tube out by pushing the black ring up while pulling on the fitting. I cleaned inside the opening and trimmed some tubing but I still get a leak - maybe the fitting can wear out? I do not know.

If it was mine, and I planned to keep it, I'd find a way to switch everything over to copper tubing. Plastic tubing sucks at maintaining temps.
Probably a good idea - right now I just want it up and running though.  A quick phone call to service in Ferndale, WA put me in touch with Bart who helped me order the assembly that supersedes this older press fit connection. The replacement connector has nuts to tighten to secure the tube - this should work with brass or Teflon pipes.

I also picked up some steam wand o-rings, an extra group gasket, and an extra shower screen. I figure since I managed to get the old part off I should be able to install the new assembly. I know where to turn if I have any trouble - thanks again! :)

Tex

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 11:54:32 AM »
I tried holding the barb and the whole fitting turns clockwise and counter clockwise but does not loosen. The fitting will turn around on the Teflon tube if the barb isn't held stationary.  I cannot figure this one out...

Probably a good idea - right now I just want it up and running though.  A quick phone call to service in Ferndale, WA put me in touch with Bart who helped me order the assembly that supersedes this older press fit connection. The replacement connector has nuts to tighten to secure the tube - this should work with brass or Teflon pipes.

I also picked up some steam wand o-rings, an extra group gasket, and an extra shower screen. I figure since I managed to get the old part off I should be able to install the new assembly. I know where to turn if I have any trouble - thanks again! :)

I've had two Oscars and they really sucked at brew temp stability. Part of the problem is the group flapping around in the breeze, and part of the problem is the lack of insulation of the tubes and fittings.

This is easy to apply and should help a lot. Wrap the tubing and everything the hot water passes through.

edited: Oops, I meant to use this link: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/plumbing/pipe-insulation/pipe-insulation-1/foam-foil-pipe-insulation-2-18x15-ft
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 11:58:47 AM by Tex »

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 06:49:08 AM »
That type fitting will sometimes put a dent in the tubing making a leak, try to cut off 1/2 of tube then try.  There is usually an o ring inside slip on fittings it could be dried out.  
Ringo
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

EricBNC

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 10:15:43 AM »
I've had two Oscars and they really sucked at brew temp stability. Part of the problem is the group flapping around in the breeze, and part of the problem is the lack of insulation of the tubes and fittings.

This is easy to apply and should help a lot. Wrap the tubing and everything the hot water passes through.

edited: Oops, I meant to use this link: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/plumbing/pipe-insulation/pipe-insulation-1/foam-foil-pipe-insulation-2-18x15-ft

This is a good idea - should be easy to wrap the tubes.

That type fitting will sometimes put a dent in the tubing making a leak, try to cut off 1/2 of tube then try.  There is usually an o ring inside slip on fittings it could be dried out.  
Ringo

It looks like there is a seal up in there but I do not know how to remove the bottom to replace it.

EricBNC

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 09:33:39 AM »
The new valve stopped the leak and I was able to run a serious descaling and deep cleaning of several parts.  The boiler safety valve I cleaned looks like it should work (and maybe it is).  The part looks like this:

Mine is clean, the spring looks good, and the seal looks good so I think the problem is somewhere else but this spits out a blast of steam when I load the portafilter to pull a shot.  I get a small stream for maybe 5 - 10 seconds and then the safety valve releases.  I tried grinding coarser (but not all the way to drip) and it does make espresso come out at first.  The pump puts out 110 mL in 10 seconds with an empty portafilter in the group.

The pressurestat is a Mater and does have an adjustment screw. The piping leading from the boiler to this part is very clean now as well. If anyone has an idea of what might need adjusting/cleaning/or replacing I would really appreciate the help.

Tex

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
The new valve stopped the leak and I was able to run a serious descaling and deep cleaning of several parts.  The boiler safety valve I cleaned looks like it should work (and maybe it is).  The part looks like this:

Mine is clean, the spring looks good, and the seal looks good so I think the problem is somewhere else but this spits out a blast of steam when I load the portafilter to pull a shot.  I get a small stream for maybe 5 - 10 seconds and then the safety valve releases.  I tried grinding coarser (but not all the way to drip) and it does make espresso come out at first.  The pump puts out 110 mL in 10 seconds with an empty portafilter in the group.

The pressurestat is a Mater and does have an adjustment screw. The piping leading from the boiler to this part is very clean now as well. If anyone has an idea of what might need adjusting/cleaning/or replacing I would really appreciate the help.

The valve shown (popoff or safety valve) should not be adjusted. It's supposed to be set to open if boiler pressure exceeds 1.8 bar. It has nothing to do with group pressure, so pulling a shot will not cause it to open.

I'd use a digital thermometer with a thermocouple on the boiler to monitor boiler temps, which for HX boilers should be in the 251 - 254 degree range. IIRC, Adjust the pstat CW to raise & CCW to lower (I think this is correct, but pstats vary so check for directional arrows near the adjustment screw).

The popoff should be set to open at ~1.8 bar, which is just under 270° (again - IIRC?) If you adjust the pstat higher you can use the digital thermometer to see if the popoff is opening at the correct temp, and if not replace it.

EricBNC

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »

The valve shown (popoff or safety valve) should not be adjusted. It's supposed to be set to open if boiler pressure exceeds 1.8 bar. It has nothing to do with group pressure, so pulling a shot will not cause it to open.

I'd use a digital thermometer with a thermocouple on the boiler to monitor boiler temps, which for HX boilers should be in the 251 - 254 degree range. IIRC, Adjust the pstat CW to raise & CCW to lower (I think this is correct, but pstats vary so check for directional arrows near the adjustment screw).

The popoff should be set to open at ~1.8 bar, which is just under 270° (again - IIRC?) If you adjust the pstat higher you can use the digital thermometer to see if the popoff is opening at the correct temp, and if not replace it.

Thanks Tex - when I get in tomorrow morning I will get a boiler temp - I did see how to turn down the presurestat too and will try that as well.

You say it has nothing to do with pulling a shot but I descaled it and left it powered up through the process for several hours last night running many tanks of water through the group with no portafilter attached and not once did the valve open - this morning I ran water through the system for over an hour clearing out the descaling water with out issue.  Only when I add coffee to the PF does it trip the safety - infact this is what led me to deep clean the part since it opened up during an earlier trial run (with coffee in the PF) I attempted after installing another part.

I wonder why this is happening when I have coffee in the PF then?

Maybe the boiler runs hotter since the element is clean - a lot of black flakes and some copper looking sand sized particles rinsed out through many tank flushes.

Tex

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
You say it has nothing to do with pulling a shot but I descaled it and left it powered up through the process for several hours last night running many tanks of water through the group with no portafilter attached and not once did the valve open - this morning I ran water through the system for over an hour clearing out the descaling water with out issue.  Only when I add coffee to the PF does it trip the safety - infact this is what led me to deep clean the part since it opened up during an earlier trial run (with coffee in the PF) I attempted after installing another part.

I wonder why this is happening when I have coffee in the PF then?

Maybe the boiler runs hotter since the element is clean - a lot of black flakes and some copper looking sand sized particles rinsed out through many tank flushes.

Boiler & HX are on separate water paths. Elements will run hotter if they're cleaned of very heavy scale. You'll know more about what's going on once you put the thermometer on it. Hopefully it's something simple.

Not to cause you concern, but if the group pressure IS causing the popoff to vent, it's an indication of a ruptured HX.

EricBNC

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2011, 10:37:36 PM »
Wow, that would be the absolute pits, but is a possibility I guess.  after checking boiler temps I will know more.  I guess it would take a new boiler to fix the problem if the HX is ruptured - or is this a replaceable part like the heating element.