Author Topic: World Market Ceramic #4 Pour Over Cone  (Read 3360 times)

EricBNC

World Market Ceramic #4 Pour Over Cone
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:29:23 PM »
I saw this over on CG - looks like a good deal for $7.  I have a plastic Melitta but no ceramic yet so... off to WM I go!

http://www.worldmarket.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=ceramic%20coffee%20filter&origkw=Ceramic+Coffee+Filter+&sr=1

I am a little concerned about losing heat with ceramic but if I add a pre-heat I might even gain an advantage with ceramic over the plastic cone.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: World Market Ceramic #4 Pour Over Cone
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 05:35:05 AM »
I'll grab one next time I'm in this place.

Red.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 05:38:07 AM »

Red.  8)

Note the drip arrangement.  Often, knock-offs only have one hole for flow-through.  If they are Chinese, you need a level of comfort that the baked paint is up to FDA standards (lead glaze).  There was a dust-up between the FDA and its counterpart over that.  http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_122.html#main

Personally, I would opt for an $18 Beehouse and know what I have.  Your mileage may vary.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:41:46 AM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »

Red.  8)

Note the drip arrangement.  Often, knock-offs only have one hole for flow-through.  If they are Chinese, you need a level of comfort that the baked paint is up to FDA standards (lead glaze).  There was a dust-up between the FDA and its counterpart over that.  http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_122.html#main

Personally, I would opt for an $18 Beehouse and know what I have.  Your mileage may vary.

Oh come on B|Paranoid.... the Chinese would never send something over here that they wouldn't use!  ...... would they?

Tex

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 07:51:21 AM »

Red.  8)

Why single out the Chinese - Mexico & Britain are prime violators as well. I test all ceramics (yes, even the eagle mugs) using a test kit.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »

Red.  8)

Oh come on B|Paranoid.... the Chinese would never send something over here that they wouldn't use!  ...... would they?

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 03:53:33 AM »

Red.  8)

Why single out the Chinese - Mexico & Britain are prime violators as well. I test all ceramics (yes, even the eagle mugs) using a test kit.

+1.  This is not simply a Chinese problem.  As much public scrutiny their earthenware products received a while back odds are current Chinese product of this type imported now will be safe.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 08:02:15 AM »
lead is not the only concern..  in my experience as a potter the ceramic colors in the red part of the spectrum are the ones you will most likely find lead but other chemicals are used for other colors.. if the base glaze tat the colorants are added too are not well formulated and fired than leaching can occur and over time that chemical can get in your system, some don'c come out of your system easy..  its not the chemicals its the porosity of the finished glaze they are suspended in..  I look out for matte glazes on food wear and look for white or clear glazes on the primary food surface (inside the mug) if you want to know if your pretty matte platter that you serve fruit wedges and deviled  eggs at the church potluck on is safe..  leave a lemon wedge on the glaze over night... if you take the wedge off in the morning and see an image like a shadow of the lemon wedge on your plate.. it is leaching chemicals.   so get one with a white shiny inside

Tex

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »

Red.  8)

+1.  This is not simply a Chinese problem.  As much public scrutiny their earthenware products received a while back odds are current Chinese product of this type imported now will be safe.

No, it probably just means that foreign manufacturers know we have a tiny inspection staff, and the odds of getting caught are infinitesimally low.

Check this out.

EricBNC

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 12:37:01 PM »
Looks like a lot of them got caught to me.  If it tests bad then I go back to WM and get my $7 bucks back - the world keeps spinning, the sky does not fall...

Tex

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »
Looks like a lot of them got caught to me.  If it tests bad then I go back to WM and get my $7 bucks back - the world keeps spinning, the sky does not fall...

:o

What about the stuff you think is safe and don't test? Ever visit friends for dinner or go out to eat? Maybe you've had coffee at a place that actually uses ceramic cups instead of paper?

It's scary to think of all of the possible exposures to lead, especially since the damage from lead is irreversible. :o It's gotten so I almost want to carry a test swab with me!

"Lead may cause irreversible neurological damage as well as renal disease, cardiovascular effects, and reproductive toxicity." CDC paper

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 01:47:35 PM »
In spite of how true that is one cannot go around being overly paranoid for ones own sanity ... IMHO.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 01:53:38 PM »
In spite of how true that is one cannot go around being overly paranoid for ones own sanity ... IMHO.

If the damage is already done don't sweat it, right Mike? Is it still paranoia if they are out to get you? :o

EricBNC

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 02:02:57 PM »

If the damage is already done don't sweat it, right Mike? Is it still paranoia if they are out to get you? :o
Your post makes no sense to me - why do you test even your eagle mug? If you know how to protect yourself against something you should no longer fear it. 

I do not fear the $7 Ceramic cone from World Market...

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 02:12:28 PM »

Maybe they are out to get you but are you going to let the fear rule your life?

I'm just saying.

???
lp, 7-Ski