Author Topic: World Market Ceramic #4 Pour Over Cone  (Read 3359 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: World Market Ceramic #4 Pour Over Cone
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
That is insufficient drainage, IMO. YMMV.

There may only be one way to rock but there there are many ways to pour.

Who says you have to over pour the drainage capability?

Not that I've tried this cone or the one you drilled but....just sayin'.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2011, 06:15:11 AM »
That is insufficient drainage, IMO. YMMV.

There may only be one way to rock but there there are many ways to pour.

Who says you have to over pour the drainage capability?

There are MANY ways to pour, some of them FAIL.

I shoot for a 2.15- 2.30 min pour on the B|House or the Hario. Both have adequate drainage.  If I dawdle, I hit 3.00 min and I remember to pick it up the next time.  I am conscious of water temp.

If memory serves me, I tried pacing the pour on the Frieling Cilio.  I always was drowning the bean.  It would not keep up. I went after it once, on a liter thermos, focusing on letting it keep up.  I ran close to 6 minutes. It did better at smaller volumes. My concern was temperature of the water (convenience comes into play as well).  That is why I asked Peter to drill it out. For kicks, I have 40 oz heating in a pourover kettle in the kitchen.  I will walk it through a temp measuring, without coffees or pours

1)  start with temp at 1 minute off boil, to mimic the initial pour
2)  measure temp at 3:00
3)  measure temp again at 6 minute mark
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:30:15 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2011, 07:02:09 AM »

1)  start with temp at 1.00 minute off boil, to mimic the initial pour
2)  measure temp at 3:00
3)  measure temp again at 6 minute mark

1)  200*
2)  188* at 3 minutes (temp of remaining water in kettle)
3)  142* at 6 minutes (temp of the last 1/2 cup of water in the kettle)

For me, the longer you go, the further away from the 192-195* mark, or whatever the golden number is.  The drift after 3 minutes is exponential as the mass is diminishing and doesn't serve as insulation.  I am aware that this doesn't account for the mass into which I am pouring but it does indicate a temp with which I am pouring that I don't want as my extraction addition after the 3 minute mark.

Additionally, I know of no prep that tastes good at a 6 min prep, the Frieling's rate, as presented <I don't drink cold coffee so I am unfamiliar with that prep>. I think they designed the one-holers 40 years ago and are just sticking with the design.  Forget the advances that have been made in specialty coffee.  "It was good enough for Großpapa" mentality.

Just an opinion.  Your mileage will vary.  Below, I tossed in the Hario 2 vs the Frieling (pre-drill).   You tell me which one you want above your thermos?

B|Java

PS, I don't like rock.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:30:51 AM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2011, 08:21:54 AM »
I'll take either or both, plus the cheese.  8)

I feel like I can remember a time before the Hario came out and the clever dripper was being sold that the claim was the three hole cones drained too fast. You should either block some holes or get a dripper to hold a longer dwell time. And then the Hario came along with a gigantic hole in it. ;D

All I am saying is that in addition to the number/size of holes in a cone the pour style is a dictating factor in brew times. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:38:44 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 08:35:57 AM »
I'll take either or both, plus the cheese.  8)

Rock on.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 08:40:50 AM »
Rock on.

I've lived by that code for good stretch....so far.

Lee Morrison