Author Topic: Thoughts on a decent Super Auto  (Read 1860 times)

Robby

Thoughts on a decent Super Auto
« on: October 02, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »
So I got the wife hooked on coffee.  And her friends.  And their friends.  The problem is that I am not always home to provide for them.

And there in lies the trouble.  My wife asked if we could get a single serving cartridge machine.  Not espresso, one of those cheap beverage machines like you can get from the big box stores.

I find that unbearable.  So I am looking for a Super Automatic that is rather simple to operate and gives an acceptable shot they can build all their various coffee treats from.  The holidays are fast upon is and I want to try and be as good a host as possible.  And if the coffee is good enough I might even wander in some mornings and push the button.  I would like to stay below $1000 and am more concerned in getting a good shot than any fancy features.  And don't even think I could try to teach her to pull a shot.  I try to keep her away from my gear as much as possible.  It just never ends well...

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Thoughts on a decent Super Auto
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:07:12 PM »
Just off the top of my head...  I would let her get whatever she wants, and not be disillusioned into thinking a superauto will give you anything close to good espresso.  If she gets what she wants, and it keeps her happy, you're golden.  It may even give you some leverage into buying what you really want, assuming there's space.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
Similar to what Peter said but not as uhm... "decisive":

Super autos are not going to provide you with the same level of shot quality but knowing/accepting that going in makes all the difference.

Trading some quality for convenience is something we do all the time. It's not a guarantee that all superautos pull horrendous undrinkable coffee. I have had a surprising shot off a super so I know it's at least possible to make tasty coffee with one. I personally don't want one, would not trade my set up for it, but I'd rather have one than a k cup pod machine.   

But.....girls can work any espresso machine.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:19:56 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
I have had a surprising shot off a super so I know it's at least possible to make tasty coffee with one.

Was it a $1000 superauto?

The other strike against them is too many moving parts, and what their performance and value will be in 2-3 years.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Sherman

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »
Just off the top of my head...  I would let her get whatever she wants, and not be disillusioned into thinking a superauto will give you anything close to good espresso.  If she gets what she wants, and it keeps her happy, you're golden.  It may even give you some leverage into buying what you really want, assuming there's space.

True words, well said. She's the one using it, not the OP. Moreover, it will be used primarily in the OP's absence. If she wants a K-cup, let her have one. Just beware of the cost per cup.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »
Was it a $1000 superauto?

The other strike against them is too many moving parts, and what their performance and value will be in 2-3 years.

No, I think it was about 3K to be fair and funny enough his steam wand was broken and he was complaining heavily about it.

The OP did state a 1K budget and I didn't take that into account.  ???
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
I say buy her the k-cup at costco and make her return it herself when she figures out what a bad idea that was. Be sure to pick some awful tasting pods for her (or whatever they call them) like the Tully's French Roast  ;D. A guy at work has a Keurig and let me try it out with these. Blech!

On second thought, how about finding a preparation method she's willing to manage... maybe a French press or a pour over? Also, I bet you're underestimating what she's capable of in regards to espresso. If my wife can pull passable shots, I bet yours can too. Just a matter of getting her attention for a half hour to go over the basics.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:39:37 PM by grinderz »
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

EricBNC

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »
So I got the wife hooked on coffee.  And her friends.  And their friends.  The problem is that I am not always home to provide for them.

And there in lies the trouble.  My wife asked if we could get a single serving cartridge machine.  Not espresso, one of those cheap beverage machines like you can get from the big box stores.

I find that unbearable.  So I am looking for a Super Automatic that is rather simple to operate and gives an acceptable shot they can build all their various coffee treats from.  The holidays are fast upon is and I want to try and be as good a host as possible.  And if the coffee is good enough I might even wander in some mornings and push the button.  I would like to stay below $1000 and am more concerned in getting a good shot than any fancy features.  And don't even think I could try to teach her to pull a shot.  I try to keep her away from my gear as much as possible.  It just never ends well...

My wife loves her Keurig for the very same reasons you mention.  When she has company she makes a big deal out of offering a staggering assortment (well, 4 or 5 different selections) compared to the usual "care for some coffee?".  If one wants decaf, another wants flavored, or another isn't sure everyone can still be happy.  Even the herbal tea gal gets to join in on the fun.

Sometimes as guys - geeky guys at that - we forget about the presentation as a host or hostess.  I can not picture my wife in a million years standing over a Hario looking at a stopwatch while pouring from a Buono kettle x 6.  I, on the other hand, think this is a fine way to make coffee - for six.  Six women are not likely to patiently wait 20 minutes till the last one is served when the light shining off of the chrome carousel full of K-Cups blinds them from seeing it my way.

Get her what she wants - it's cheap and if she hates it you can return it and pop in a super auto as a replacement.

Robby

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 03:28:59 AM »
I vow on all that is important to me, no pod machine shall cross my threshold.  I think that alot of what the girls are enamoured with is the flavor of the coffee they are being served.  I tried to teach my wife and one of her friends to use a vacuum pot but the idea of having to time the cycle just flabergasted them. 

So you are telling me that there is no machine under $1000 that is going to make a passable shot?  I am not looking for the god shot.  Those are pulled by hand with loving affection if I am here (sometimes).  I just want them to have something acceptable to function as the base for their foo foo coffee drinks.  There is not a strait shooter among them.  They will all be adding mocha or syrup and whipped foamy goodness.  Come to think of it I might even want to use it when I am home rather than take the trouble of pulling a decent shot by hand only to watch them pour chocolate syrup and whipped topping into the top of it.

I like to think that the true measure of a tool is not what it is designed to do, but what you can make it do.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 03:42:03 AM »
Saeco is pretty large in the market share of those.

Check out one of their models.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 07:54:42 AM »
It's not hard to make a drink with even a steam toy that most people will like if you add whipped cream, chocolate, caramel and so on.

Just get one she likes the look of.

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »

+1  She's right and don't ever forget it!

This is a simple situation where she either likes or dislikes the coffee made with a super-auto. It might take a while for her to decide, so I'd buy the machine at Costco where you're not stuck with a narrow window for returning it.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »
This is the least expensive Saeco model that Costco offers.

Like Robert said they have a pretty fair return policy.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 02:24:22 PM »
Ive seen the saeco in operation.  It's not too bad, very convenient, I mean literally push a button and a minute later or so it pisses out a 'spresso out it's double nostril into a glass for you.

I have tasted the coffee and for what it is, it isn't too bad to be totally honest.  Now we all know what a 'real' espresso / cappu will taste like but this machine is easy, easy to maintain I was told and does not do too bad a job..... for what that's worth from my unqualified non espresso pullin arse!!

AAron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 03:11:58 PM »
Ive seen the saeco in operation.  It's not too bad, very convenient, I mean literally push a button and a minute later or so it pisses out a 'spresso out it's double nostril into a glass for you.

I have tasted the coffee and for what it is, it isn't too bad to be totally honest.  Now we all know what a 'real' espresso / cappu will taste like but this machine is easy, easy to maintain I was told and does not do too bad a job..... for what that's worth from my unqualified non espresso pullin arse!!

AAron

They're just OK machines for the non coffee fanatic - and I'd equate this to a comparison between a Mr Coffee & Technivorm. One makes coffee & the other makes good coffee. If the choice is mine, then I know which I'd choose.

I've used a few super autos and for my money the Delonghi is #1 - if what I found a few years ago holds true today? The Delonghi was the only one that held no grounds in the feed chute between batches. Since left over grounds are stale grounds, the Delonghi was the only brand I'd recommend.