Author Topic: Baratza Vario or Preciso - Which one would you get?  (Read 5480 times)

EricBNC

Re: Baratza Vario or Preciso - Which one would you get?
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »
OK, now this is a close race.  7 votes for the Preciso and 10 votes for the Vario.  I did get a chance to try the Vario this week - it was a current model - the owner was shipped a replacement for a very early model that failed. Maybe Baratza is getting better at building/debugging these since the early models. 

Static was non existent using fresh Black Cat and Klatch Bob-O-Link.  Fluffy grinds too.  The levers are relatively stiff so accidental travel shouldn't happen with some care.  I have a Virtuoso, so I know build wise about what I could expect from the Preciso (durable enough) while the Vario is at least as heavy and likely in the same class of construction.  Not Mazzer or K30 build quality but probably tough enough for normal personal use without issue (I hope).

So seeing the Vario did help it's chances - there is a lot to like - but the Preciso is still in the running.  I should be able to place the order by the Friday so any and all comments and concerns are appreciated! :)

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
Having sold my SJ in favor of the Pharos, my (coffee) world is no longer flat. 

I'd get the Preciso.

Columbus meets Bugs Bunny
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:14:35 PM by expy98 »

EricBNC

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »
That cartoon is very informative - especially like the Queen - she's hot for a toon. ;D

Man, this is tough - Preciso has got a strong following but so does the Vario - I will have enough to order the Vario if I choose by tomorrow evening.  I have a conical burr grinder from La Pavoni - it is not built to the same durability specs as the Preciso but it does have a 38mm TreSpade burr set. This grinder has the TreSpade burr set with the spiral shaped lower burr like the Preciso or an old hand mill.  I see many references to grinders that use a burr set similar to or same as the Ascaso 38mm conical grinder.  That burr set looks more like the Virtuoso or Titan Grinder burr set with angular rather than fluid channels to guide the beans down into the bottom area where the inner and outer burrs meet.

The grind retention is more than I like but this grinder can single dose - is the Preciso a serious upgrade or an incremental upgrade?

Here is a comparison of the Preciso on the left and the TreSpade on the right:

EricBNC

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:51 PM »
I am probably sounding like I am beating a dead horse here but I felt this thread deserves closure.

I found enough of an answer to make my decision this week - Preciso.

Tried the Vario Monday, tried the Preciso today. Both rock. The Preciso had excellent fine and coarse grounds. Vario has the timer, which is nice.  Preciso looks, in my opinion, to be the sturdier grinder even though it is $150 cheaper.  Once again, grind quality on both is excellent.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »
Good choice.

Let us know how it works out for you going forward.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 04:29:37 PM »
My Preciso - in the house.

The retail box

The manual

The cleaning brush

Extra portafilter holder bin

The Burrs - nice...

The Preciso

18.0g in...

17.4 out ( I spilled a little bit)

Some espresso - glass is 57g but I forgot to tare...

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
Looks like it is making some good grounds for your espresso.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

EricBNC

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »
Sweet.

I like to use the hopper lid on my Vario to weigh out the beans too... then you can just put it on top and flip it over.

You had me going with that 100 gram shot from only 17.4 grams of coffee, or is that an Americano?  I can't tell scale from the photo.

The shot is 42 - 43 grams - I forgot to tare the scale but I have done it often enough to know the empty cup weighs aroung 57 grams.

I do like the flip and grind method too!  :)

EricBNC

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2011, 06:59:46 AM »
This morning I weighed out 40g of Ethiopian beans - set the Preciso grinder on 24, and in less than 20 seconds I had 40g of grounds in my bin - there is probably some grounds retention somewhere but my less sensitive scale only reads in grams and could not detect enough of a difference.

Sorry for the lack of measuring precision but after all, I was making coffee, not conducting a science experiment. ;D

I did use a SwissGold cone filter in my Krups 4 cup drip brewer along with 20 fl oz of water.  I thought the sediment was very low in the bottom of the carafe - see the photo below.

Would you drink the last cup?

EricBNC

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2011, 10:16:53 AM »
I ground 40g a little finer - the consistency and lack of fines from the Preciso makes SwissGold filter brewing a contender again for me:

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2011, 10:28:35 AM »
Looks like it beats the vario for fines production. I returned mine because it left me with over double what you are showing when I was using the Swiss gold.

The Bunn LPG even with the used burrs is closer to what you are showing when brewing 48oz. It is nice to know that if I can't make the LPG look good once I build a new case I can look to the preciso.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2011, 03:54:29 PM »
Looks like it beats the vario for fines production. I returned mine because it left me with over double what you are showing when I was using the Swiss gold.

Someone who knows more than me should hi-jack this thread, and discuss why an espresso grinder is supposed to provide a certain amount of fines for proper puck extraction.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

EricBNC

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »

Someone who knows more than me should hi-jack this thread, and discuss why an espresso grinder is supposed to provide a certain amount of fines for proper puck extraction.

I remember something about this too for espresso - the press pot and metal filter world is no "fine" friend though. If this grinder comes even close to one of those BUNN grinders for press then it is worth every penny.  I like how the particles are small in the photo but still too large to fit through the gaps on the SwissGold filter. This same grind is awesome for French press too.

EricBNC

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2011, 08:11:22 PM »
As a follow up, the grinder started acting up - it began to cut out when I tried grinding fine enough for espresso - turns out the adjustment ring was losing contact with the micro switch (ring was broken) - no gear damage, motor damage, etc.

I spoke with Baratza yesterday. I was offered a new grinder as a replacement or a repair part. I was willing to try installing a new adjustment ring  but when I explained that I needed to grind on 4 to get espresso fine, Pierce requested the machine back to find out what was wrong. I would be happier with no problems but the level of service is living up to it's reputation so far - I will update when the new grinder arrives.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2011, 10:53:13 AM »
I must set my Baratza Vario to macro 1 and micro 4 to grind fine enough for espresso. Is that unusual? For drip coffee, I have both set as coarse as possible.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)