Author Topic: Baratza Vario or Preciso - Which one would you get?  (Read 5478 times)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: Baratza Vario or Preciso - Which one would you get?
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »
I must set my Baratza Vario to macro 1 and micro 4 to grind fine enough for espresso. Is that unusual? For drip coffee, I have both set as coarse as possible.

That does seem odd for the course setting but normal for espresso. I may just like mine a bit finer for drip though.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2011, 05:36:10 AM »
To get espresso grind in the range that produces a decent pull in the 30 seconds, my current Vario setup is Macro-> all the way to the top, Micro-> 4 from the top.  For AP and my newly acquired Kone/Chemex, I then only move the Macro to the bottom.

I know I could adjust the grinder to give me more "selection" at the espresso range of the grinder, but it seems that I lose coarseness at the drip range of the grinder.  IMO, the range is limited if the only adjustment you are making are the macro/micro sliders. Adjusting the hex screw for coarser grinds, and lose espresso fineness, or adjust the hex screw for espresso fineness and lose the coarseness of the grind.  The limiting factors for each person then becomes your method of brewing (what type espresso machine and drip/pour-over/frenchpress...).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:39:05 AM by Richdel »

EricBNC

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »
Preciso number two arrived last night too late to un-box - called last Monday and the replacement arrived 8 days later - just in case someone is keeping score.  I hope the delay came because they tested the unit before sending it out - I will find out soon enough.

EricBNC

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »
Looks like this one was set up with the expectation I will be using it for espresso.  #9 is baby powder/Turkish grind and #10 is espresso fine. I am hoping this one works great.