Author Topic: Thinking of a new roaster  (Read 1158 times)

ph33nyx

Thinking of a new roaster
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:03:50 AM »
I'm currently using a SCTO as my roaster, but am contemplating on trying a drum type. Does anyone have any opinions on gas vs electric and manufacturer for a small roaster (1-1.5 lb)?
I was looking at the possibilities of using a Meco rotisserie, but wasn't sure.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Thinking of a new roaster
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
What sort of budget are you allowing for the roaster?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

RobertL

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »
This table top version looks cool but I wonder if it would produce enough heat to roast coffee.

ph33nyx

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »

I'm hoping sub $300

ph33nyx

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »
I wonder if it would produce enough heat to roast coffee.

That's what I was wondering. I don't know how much wattage the SCTO is rated for, but 1500 seemed reasonable.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 11:46:34 AM »
I bet you'd have to mod it to get it to get hot enough. When I googled it, the product description says it's got 3 temp settings.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

ph33nyx

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 11:49:24 AM »
Another thought I had was to mod this grill for gas and a rotisserie attachment

RobertL

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »
I bet you'd have to mod it to get it to get hot enough. When I googled it, the product description says it's got 3 temp settings.

I agree the factory t-stat would have to go. You could use a variac or maybe a router speed control to control the heat.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »
The SCTO has less surface area and mass to heat.
I wonder if it would produce enough heat to roast coffee.

That's what I was wondering. I don't know how much wattage the SCTO is rated for, but 1500 seemed reasonable.
Gotta keep in mind that the SCTO has less surface area and mass to heat with those 1500 watts. You might need to insulate pretty well to get it hot enough. Can anybody comment on how much heat capacity overhead a Behmor has as this is basically going to be limited to the same heat potential.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

ph33nyx

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 06:17:42 AM »
Is there a big difference between using electric over gas?

jspain

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 06:26:57 AM »

I'm hoping sub $300

At that price level you are limited in choices for a drum. The Behmor has been used by many here in the club and there is much published here on everything Behmor. You may want to look at that roaster for a possibility.  jim

Tex

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »

Difference how?

Watts & BTUs are just ways to measure the energy spent doing something. I'd think how hot they get isn't the issue - it's about how adjustable each is. In that regard electricity is much easier to monitor and fine tune for our purposes. But you'd need a BIG honkin' electric element to match the capacity of something like a 30,000 BTU BBQ grill.

Taste? I believe I can taste the burned carbon in beans processed in a device that flows spent fuel through the beans as they roast. But you know what? It turns out it's not a bad taste, a bit sweet if anything.

Now, if you used LPG or natural gas to heat an infrared device you might come up with a more efficient heat source. The ones I've looked at give off a pretty constant level of heat (when measured with an infrared thermometer).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:13:02 AM by Tex »

ph33nyx

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 07:21:26 AM »

Difference how?

Watts & BTUs are just ways to measure the energy spent doing something. I'd think how hot they get isn't the issue - it's about how adjustable each is. In that regard electricity is much easier to monitor and fine tune for our purposes. But you'd need a BIG honkin' electric element to match the capacity of something like a 30,000 BTU BBQ grill.

Taste? I believe I can taste the burned carbon in beans processed in a device that flows spent fuel through the beans as the roast. But you know what? It turns out it's not a bad taste, a bit sweet if anything.

Now, if you used LPG or natural gas to heat an infrared device you might come up with a more efficient heat source. The ones I've looked at give off a pretty constant level of heat (when measured with an infrared thermometer).

Well I think you answered most of the "difference". Speed of roast, ease of use, taste, yada yada yada

Tex

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 07:48:41 AM »
If you want to calculate BTU to watts & vice versa, use this online calculator.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:50:53 AM by Tex »