Author Topic: Anyone using the Grindenstein knock box?  (Read 3084 times)

Tex

Anyone using the Grindenstein knock box?
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
I just got a Grindenstein to replace a really beat up POS that I bought at Starbucks a few years ago - you've seen them, round & sort of conical shaped?

Well, when the Grindenstein arrived I was surprised how small it is - ~5½" diameter. Given how much my hands shake and how clumsy I've become, I'm wondering if this little thing is the knock box for me?

Anyone have experience using a Grindenstein?

Tex

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Anyone using the Grindenstein knock box?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
I've seen them, and hear people like them.  But it seems to be something that was made to look good first, and be functional second.

Here's mine.  Holds a lot of pucks, stainless, rubber is replaceable, and has a wide/flat bottom so you can knock 'til you're blue in the face.  It's just not the prettiest thing a wife might want on the countertop.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:32:54 PM »
I like the square ones like yours, but they're bit too pedestrian looking for my taste. When I put in the coffee nook I thought of cutting a hole in the countertop for a Rattleware or one of these, but I decided I didn't want to commit to it being in just one location. I like the way the Grindenstein is built, it's just a bit small looking?

blzrfn

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »
It looks like you could pull three or four doubles before emptying.  Perfect for those that don't like hosting and clean up their coffee area frequently. 

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
I have one and have been using it for 4 months. It holds more than you think but you have to shake the pucks to the bottom of the bucket to make room. Very durable but you have to aim just right or you could make a mess. It was made small so it could sit on the espresso machine under the group.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:28:13 PM by jdibble »

Tex

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
I have one and have been using it for 4 months. It hold more than you think but you have to shake the pucks to the bottom of the bucket to make room. Very durable but you have to aim just right or you could make a mess. It was made small so it could sit on the espresso machine under the group.

I read that, and that would make sense for non 3-way valve equipped machines - they tend to dribble after going. It's actually good that it's a smallish knock box, space is getting to be limited on the countertop.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »
I've got one that looks just like yours, Tex. It's OK. It takes up less space on the counter than a traditional one, though we usually put ours in the bottom of the sink to use it as it tends to be a little on the messy side with grounds splattering out if you're not careful.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

GC7

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »
Tex

I have one of these and as mentioned its just fine if you are making 4-5 drinks and you are wlling to clean often. It is a well made product that functions as designed. However, I mostly just bang out the puck on a plastic garbage can, wipe with a paper towel and rinse with hot brew water between shots.  I'd rather do it that way then have to spend time cleaning the knockbox every day.

Tex

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 01:56:48 PM »
Tex

I have one of these and as mentioned its just fine if you are making 4-5 drinks and you are wlling to clean often. It is a well made product that functions as designed. However, I mostly just bang out the puck on a plastic garbage can, wipe with a paper towel and rinse with hot brew water between shots.  I'd rather do it that way then have to spend time cleaning the knockbox every day.

Before I had the coffee nook built, my machine was next to the sink in the kitchen. I removed the springs in my portafilters, and dosed the filters as a group and when done I'd just flip the filters into the sink, upside down.

Now that I don't have a sink next to the machine, I'm using a knock box again. It's actually slower building multiple shots this way - I'd load up a half dozen filters and crank out consecutive shots as fast as I could flip one filter out and pop in another.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
I have a black one I purchased back in '07 with my first espresso machine, an Elektra MCaL. It still, more or less, looks now like it did then. It did work much better with the Elektra's 49mm pucks.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »
I had a Grindenstein, it holds about a dozen pucks.  Then ordered a Cafelat when I saw a friend w/ one,
slightly larger w/ a removable bar and holds maybe a few more pucks.

By accident ordered the larger Cafelat instead.  Thought it looked huge initially, holds
probably 40 pucks or more and not having to empty it in about 2 weeks.  It now looks
perfectly sized and glad I didn't get the smaller one. 

Just emptied it this morning...

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »
I didn't have to make a trip to the thrift store*, mine came with the dog treats and easily fits in my hand to shake out in the yard.

*I did buy a brass bowl at the thrift store for grounds, but replaced it with the free, superior container shown below.

Do you have fairly loose pucks?

Let me know if that's getting too personal.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 02:27:21 AM »
I have one I bought off Chris when he used to push his toys through here and Peter kept him humble. 

I find it perfect for my needs; 4 shots during a weekend day, 49.4mm portafilter.  I think it would be too small for your circumstances.

B|Java

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
I also have one of these, at $12 def the lowest priced knockbox available and quite large w/ a small footprint,
altho I only use it to store brushes and such.  It's not easy to break up the pucks before spreading the grind in the yard
w/out a removable bar.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/CHUCKABUCKET-Puck-Pail-Knock-Box--SUMMER-FUN_p_3997.html

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »
I gave away a larger box and bought a Grindenstein. I have been using it for a while but it is really too small for my taste.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion