Author Topic: 58mm Portafilter Basket's actual Inner Diameter?  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
58mm Portafilter Basket's actual Inner Diameter?
« on: January 03, 2012, 06:09:39 PM »
Is the actual inner diameter of the Synesso, La Marzocco, and all other machines with a 58mm portafilter basket 58.5 or does it vary by a few tenths of a millimeter depending on the brand?

Thanks!

milowebailey

Re: 58mm Portafilter Basket's actual Inner Diameter?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
La Marzoccos are closer to 57mm I believe.... at least the ones I have.  I'll measure mine.

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 08:46:57 PM »
The La Marzocco portafilters baskets inside diameter are nominally 58mm and the tamper is 57mm

the Rancilio (commercial) basket inside diameter is nominally 59mm and the tamper is 57mm

It's interesting that neither the tampers I have nor the baskets are perfectly round.  I understand that with the baskets since they are pressed and banged all the time, but I expected the tampers to be on the money..... but they are not.. 

And although my 58 mm tamper will fit inside my La Marzocco basket with no coffee in it, it will not fit when I try to tamp in the La Marzocco. 

Tex

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »
When I had custom tamper heads made for my auto tamper, I sent an E61 & a Gaggia filter basket to make sure it would fit both machines. Hai Pham reported that a 58mm OD tamper would fit my baskets fine.

When measuring baskets only measure down as far as you'll tamp - usually ~1/4".

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »
I have tried emailing that Hai Pham guy through 3 different mediums and he has never responded to me. I need a small machine shop to make me tamper bases I designed. Apparently there are no garage machine shops in Chicago. . . They all have 50 piece minimums otherwise they want $75 - $150 per base.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:52:33 AM by Warrior372 »

Tex

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:55:25 PM »
Try this: Hai Pham

So far, he's made 6 tampers for me. Aaron now has the convex Gaggia tamper he made me. He says he enjoys the challenge of custom designs.

Offline Whale

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 04:03:59 AM »
Hai Pham is making me a "custom" tamper right now. Actually all I wanted is a 49.2 convex base. Not a big customisation but he only charged $5 for the 0.2 mm.
58.4 and 58.7mm bases are not special order and can be gotten at no extra charge.
Some of my questions get answered right away and some never get an answer!? Must be pretty busy these days.   

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 06:55:45 AM »
What did your guy's tampers run you? What grade of steel were the bases made out of? When I tell these machine shops I need them accurate to .1 millimeters they all jack the price up.

Does anyone know the bolt size and threading on Reg Barber Tampers?

milowebailey

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
Ok, so let me get this straight.... you guys are ordering custom tampers accurate within 0.1 mm (0.0039 inches - 4 thousandths), to tamp coffee in a basket that is round to within 1 mm......  baskets that you hammer on a knock box after each shot.... where can I get one

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 07:19:12 AM »
Ok, so let me get this straight.... you guys are ordering custom tampers accurate within 0.1 mm (0.0039 inches - 4 thousandths), to tamp coffee in a basket that is round to within 1 mm......  baskets that you hammer on a knock box after each shot.... where can I get one

Most of my machines have had tampers accurate to .1mm. I always keep a double basket in my machines portafilters and in most cases I have 2 portafilters for each machine, one with a double in it and one with a triple, so I never make contact with the outside of my portafilter baskets. I have never had a problem.

Tex

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 07:23:11 AM »
What did your guy's tampers run you? What grade of steel were the bases made out of? When I tell these machine shops I need them accurate to .1 millimeters they all jack the price up.

Does anyone know the bolt size and threading on Reg Barber Tampers?

I got three of mine when they were still $18 each. I paid ~$45 for both bases (flat & convex) for the Macap auto tamper.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 07:28:38 AM »

That's why I sent Hai two baskets, to make sure the tampers fit more than one machine. That's also why I have ~30 filter baskets, so if one does get out of round I can toss it and keep going. 8)

And BTW, if you're whacking your portafilter hard enough to bend s/s filters - stop it! It takes no more than a gentle tap to dislodge the puck. ::)