Author Topic: BBQ roaster motor suggestions  (Read 764 times)

RobertL

BBQ roaster motor suggestions
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:55 AM »
I'm considering jumping into the world of BBQ roasting to ease the load being put on my HT by the growing number of people I share/sell coffee to. I'm looking for suggestions on motors I know around 60rpm is recommended. I know RK and CRC sell motors but they seem overpriced IMO. I'm a do it yourself kind of guy so I don't mind putting something together myself to save a few bucks.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: BBQ roaster motor suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:11:29 AM »
I like surpluscenter.com.

This one's not cheap, but could work well.  http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1682&catname=electric
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

RobertL

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
Thanks Peter that is much cheaper than the ones I mentioned in my first post.

RobertL

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »
One more question on their website surplus center states that you will need a start relay to use with this motor. Since I know next to nothing about this stuff I emailed them asking if they could suggest one I could purchase. This was their response...  "Thanks for the inquiry you will have to have a repair center or go back to the manufacture for that item". Not much help so do I really need the start relay and if so any suggestions? Should I just spend the $150 that RK and CRC are asking?

Tex

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
One more question on their website surplus center states that you will need a start relay to use with this motor. Since I know next to nothing about this stuff I emailed them asking if they could suggest one I could purchase. This was their response...  "Thanks for the inquiry you will have to have a repair center or go back to the manufacture for that item". Not much help so do I really need the start relay and if so any suggestions? Should I just spend the $150 that RK and CRC are asking?

Start capacitors cost ~$10.

RobertL

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
Thanks Tex but the listing says it comes with a start capacitor but needs a start relay. "This motor requires a start relay (not furnished) and a 36-43 mfd. start capacitor (furnished)".

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »
If you have an appliance parts store nearby, they would be a good place to start. 

I'll bet there's some folks here that have something like that lying around too.

Or, you could forget that motor, and look at the ones above and below on surpluscenter's site.  If you think you'd ever have the need for portability, a DC motor might be something to think about.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you