Author Topic: $5 espresso machine  (Read 1265 times)

PozzSka

$5 espresso machine
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:02:32 PM »
Just thought I would share my thrift store find...

A Gaggia Carezza Silver (from what I've found was originally about $200-230 new in or around 2003.  I gave it a thorough rinse and scrubbing and cleaning. And it performed well. It's a little "drippy" which I'm assuming is from the lack of 3way solenoid valve, but it made a decent shot and cappuccino. 

EricBNC

Re: $5 espresso machine
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
Great find there - $5 is a steal!  :)

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:37:39 PM »
I love hearing stories like this.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »
Great find!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 07:16:37 PM »
It should not be drippy...ask Tex how to fix it.

But I will say that $5 for a Carezzza is a screaming good deal.

Sometimes I miss my old Tinfoil Bamboo...

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 08:35:11 PM »
Awesome!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:12:39 AM »
Enjoy your great find.

Are you doing the Tex mods to it?

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

PozzSka

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 07:40:49 AM »
I don't know if I'll mod it or not...for now, I'm not going to keep it...I'm giving it to my sister in law, so she can have good coffee.

If there is a way to fix the drippy-ness, I'm all ears.  It's just when it's fully warmed up to steam, the group drips a couple drips and steams, and when the shot is finished, and you stop the pump, it just trickles a bit for a minute.  Then the puck comes out all soggy, but the taste of the coffee is fine.

But, I figure for $5, I can keep a towel handy.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 08:02:17 AM »
Tell you what, Ill buy it from you for ten dollars.   You double your money and Ill even pay the postage.    That's how swell of a guy I am  ;D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 10:00:02 AM »
I don't know if I'll mod it or not...for now, I'm not going to keep it...I'm giving it to my sister in law, so she can have good coffee.

If there is a way to fix the drippy-ness, I'm all ears.  It's just when it's fully warmed up to steam, the group drips a couple drips and steams, and when the shot is finished, and you stop the pump, it just trickles a bit for a minute.  Then the puck comes out all soggy, but the taste of the coffee is fine.

If you're a member of the Gaggia users group, the answer is here.

PozzSka

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »

I am now... :D 

Now I want to PID my Classic (I already put the Silvia wand on it)

Tex

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:42:20 PM »

That's just the 1st mod.

1) Silvia wand swap
2) SPV fix
3) OPV swap
4) PID

Then you just need to tune it. There's a lot of info in this thread.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:45:25 PM by Tex »

PozzSka

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »

That's just the 1st mod.

1) Silvia wand swap
2) SPV fix
3) OPV swap
4) PID

Then you just need to tune it. There's a lot of info in this thread.

The SPV is easy too, I'll have to do that to both of these machines as well...OPV only needs done on the Carezza right? My Classic should have that? now i need to borrow a pressure gauge (I wonder if my maintenance guys have one that would fit on my portafilter)...then the PID is a bigger mod...so I'll get to it sometime.

PozzSka

$5 espresso machine
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »
Just crossed my mind and I forgot to mention...the little plastic protector sheet was still on the drip tray cover...I wonder if this machine was ever used...