Author Topic: You-Wei cm-300a Flying Eagle Coffee Grinder  (Read 1270 times)

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
You-Wei cm-300a Flying Eagle Coffee Grinder
« on: March 29, 2012, 07:34:13 AM »
Here's the You-Wei cm-300a Flying Eagle Coffee Grinder:

Two models of the 300 series Flying Eagle grinder, this one does not have the "ghost burrs", the other model cm-300au probable has the ragged looking cutting burrs. The Owner said there was not a market for the crushing style "ghost burr grinder". I was thinking of asking him mill the burrs all the way across the face like the bunn series.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
Re: You-Wei cm-300a Flying Eagle Coffee Grinder
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:35:37 AM »
You-Wei cm-300a Flying Eagle Coffee Grinder Burrs

blzrfn

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »
I'll be interested to see the results you get.  These burrs are very similar to the interior section of Bunns but the Bunn has a machined outer area in addition to the cast inner section which I'm sure is what gives them their superior consistency.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
I can only imagine that leaving the casting surface doesn't help with the burrs cutting action.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
The You-Wei cm-300a Flying Eagle cost $2500 nt from the factory. The owner mentioned the burrs don't last as long as the cm-300au. Could be the heat treatment or base material of the different burrs. The price point is similar to the Baratza Maestro, the market being small coffee shops and home use. These type grinders are used for siphon or drip coffee preparation.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
I can only imagine that leaving the casting surface doesn't help with the burrs cutting action.

Actually, the outer edges of any burr are only a measuring gizmo to ensure large particles don't pass.

The beans are simply crushed in any grinder, as can be seen under light magnification. But the sharper the crushing edge, the less heat is generated in the process; and since heat is a killer of bean freshness, the sharper the crushing blades the better.

Offline hankua

• Standard User
  • Flame On!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 08:39:50 AM »
The outer burr is not flat, and the inner may be as well. I would have to get another set of burrs from Taiwan to play around with, or source some others. The grinder is a well made machine, with a bearing in the front to support the motor shaft. Since I have the Tiamo version from OE, one of these is getting gifted to a relative. The one knock on these grinders is the lack of a "child proof" feature. The hopper sits on top of a moving auger that a child could get a finger mangled with the machine running. The bean hopper fit is friction, and could be removed by a curious unsupervised child. If not for that; I would consider bringing a crate of these over for sale.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:42:56 AM by hankua »

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Here is a discussion about my Flying Eagle: http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=4145.0
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac