Author Topic: Hottop filter lifespan  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
Hottop filter lifespan
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »
Some time ago, I received some good advice here teaching me that Hottop back filters can be cleaned in Cafiza and rotated to save some money. I have been doing that with excellent results, but realise that after a given amount of cycles they will lose efficiency. My question then:
How many times can these filters be cleaned and re-used and still be effective?

Tex

Re: Hottop filter lifespan
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
I don't know how long the paper filters last, but if I still had a HotTop I'd use the permanent filters Randy Glass came up with (click the link, then search for permanent).

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:14:08 AM »
Some time ago, I received some good advice here teaching me that Hottop back filters can be cleaned in Cafiza and rotated to save some money. I have been doing that with excellent results, but realise that after a given amount of cycles they will lose efficiency. My question then:
How many times can these filters be cleaned and re-used and still be effective?

~~~they seem to last a long time for me...I just did roast #400 recently and I have not purchased very many new filters for this roaster

FWIW, I clean my filters ina dilute solution of Joe Glo

You'll be able to tell the way your roaster acts when the filter is no longer serviceable

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
I may not agree with what you say...
but if you say it with fewer words I'll try harder...

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 02:52:57 AM »
I don't know how long the paper filters last, but if I still had a HotTop I'd use the permanent filters Randy Glass came up with (click the link, then search for permanent).

That is a very interesting link Robert.

Thanks for posting that.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
I've tried Randy's filters and gave up, they offer almost zero flow restriction, even doubling them up to no avail.
I did not want to do the tin foil w/ holes to slow it down.  Someone suggested cutting up a furnace filter from
Lowes that sounds promising...

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:57:58 PM »
I've never understood why anyone would try to engineer a work around for a $10 part.  It's really simple fellas, soak your filter every 10 roast cycles in a dilute TSP/warm water solution for 10 minutes (I like and use Joe Glo, sometimes Full Circle), carefully rinse under lightly running water, set aside to dry

Not trying to sound ornery here but if you can't afford to replace a $10 filter on an $800 roaster, perhaps you would be better served using another roaster

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Tex

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »
I've never understood why anyone would try to engineer a work around for a $10 part.  It's really simple fellas, soak your filter every 10 roast cycles in a dilute TSP/warm water solution for 10 minutes (I like and use Joe Glo, sometimes Full Circle), carefully rinse under lightly running water, set aside to dry

Not trying to sound ornery here but if you can't afford to replace a $10 filter on an $800 roaster, perhaps you would be better served using another roaster

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Simply because the filter's not functioning as a filter, but is an airflow restrictor. There are better materials for restricting airflow than paper. If I was attempting to reengineer the thing I'd probably put a pot on the fan motor in order to tailor the airflow to the roast; then I wouldn't need any filters.

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 02:18:23 PM »
filter, air flow restrictor, a rose by any other name

the fact remains it's a $10 part, needs periodic cleaning, the factory engineers put out a part/component/whatever you want to call it that works brillantly then some want to try and improve upon it (a $10 part) and find out their hack doesn't work as well as the factory part.  These types of espresso fanboys would be better suited to pulling shots on consumer Gaggias ;D...hey wait a minute...I just described you Tex :D

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Tex

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »

the fact remains it's a $10 part, needs periodic cleaning, the factory engineers put out a part/component/whatever you want to call it that works brillantly then some want to try and improve upon it (a $10 part) and find out their hack doesn't work as well as the factory part.  These types of espresso fanboys would be better suited to pulling shots on consumer Gaggias ;D ...hey wait a minute...I just described you Tex :D

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

We have differing standards Jake. You say "works brilliantly", and I say "made as cheap as possible". Where they cut corners I'd square them back up.

Paper filters begin to clog as soon as you use them, so you have varying rates of airflow until they're completely plugged. It seems that's counter-productive to repeatable results? It may work, but it's not optimum by any means.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:34:36 PM by Tex »

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

the fact remains it's a $10 part, needs periodic cleaning, the factory engineers put out a part/component/whatever you want to call it that works brillantly then some want to try and improve upon it (a $10 part) and find out their hack doesn't work as well as the factory part.  These types of espresso fanboys would be better suited to pulling shots on consumer Gaggias ;D...hey wait a minute...I just described you Tex :D

hmm, not sure if there's any other home roaster that requires filter soaking/cleaning after 10 roasts.  Brilliant indeed...

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
Yes, I did say it works brilliantly.  I've used my Hot Top for 400 + roasts Tex, you used yours for what, 4?  You would be the last person I would listen to when it come to anything regarding the Hot Top.  You just don't have the experience operating one

expy98 said:
<snip>
hmm, not sure if there's any other home roaster that requires filter soaking/cleaning after 10 roasts.  Brilliant indeed...

<end snip>

~~~I believe the factory instructions *do not* instruct to clean the filter.  That's my workaround.  Oh!, and it works brilliantly=:-)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »
As I said Jake, we have standards that are different, and yours are right for you.