Author Topic: IRoast 2 May Be Dead Considering Investing In Gene Cafe  (Read 2002 times)

jspain

Re: IRoast 2 May Be Dead Considering Investing In Gene Cafe
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
... I don't think I've ever pooched a batch with it.

Same here <grins>.

:o Well said Bold/Poocher!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:25:06 PM by jspain »

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »
well I'm sure I have many times but it's the level of poochness.

with the HTB, I've had them way too dark or baked them a good 20 mins and never
had a thorough first crack.  Very difficult to do that with the Gene unless one walked away and forgot. 

ecc

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »
... but it's the level of poochness.

poochocity - noun -  \ˈpüchä-sə-tē\ - plural poochocities
  • the quality or state of being pooched
  • the relative quantity of pooch
example:
The unexplained poochocity of the roaster drove him insane, eventually forcing him into spending 20xGene by installing a super small commercial unit. (and also because certain Canadians are selfish, and keep the best micro roasters for themselves)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 07:33:36 PM »
... I don't think I've ever pooched a batch with it.

Same here <grins>.

Well said, B|HonestMan.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

roastingnerd

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 06:04:41 AM »
Back on topic, I don't see why they couldn't use the timer that turns off the heat to also switch windings on the fan motor to high speed.  Then cooling would be more effective.  I could do that and I'm no engineer.

ecc

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 08:45:29 AM »
Back on topic, I don't see why they couldn't use the timer that turns off the heat to also switch windings on the fan motor to high speed.  Then cooling would be more effective.  I could do that and I'm no engineer.

The electronics are pretty accessible and not completely wrapped up into a chip, so modding the roaster on your own is always an option.  The manufacturer will be limited from much updating mostly because almost any update would require redoing lengthy and expensive certifications, often stricter now than ones the product originally was tested against.

As to your fix, the fan already speeds up on cooling, but it doesn't address the basic problem; all the extra thermal mass of the hot glass container and roaster internals.   Adding even more fan isn't going to have a big impact on that.  Even if you could get the whole thing cold in a few minutes, it would be quite hard on the roaster itself, quickly over tempering some parts as well as exposure to more pronounced differences in thermal contraction/expansion at the seams and along the glass container.  To fix this issue you simply need to get the beans out of the roaster. 

Here is a link to a short tech overview of the gene: http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/inside-a-gene-cafe

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:50:54 AM by ecc »