Author Topic: Lehnartz Turkish Mill - A Lido Like Antique  (Read 776 times)

EricBNC

Lehnartz Turkish Mill - A Lido Like Antique
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:28:36 PM »
I picked this Lehnartz Turkish mill up on eBay since I like the mills from the Carl Lehnartz company. They are well built with exceptional burrs if you find one in good condition.

The speed on this thing is shocking. I turned 16g of beans for fine drip/pour over Hario V60 style in 40 of the quickest turns i can remember - easily 3 turns per second without trying too hard either.  The beans were medium roasted, and I am not the smallest guy in the world, but the burr design and condition deserves the lion's share of the credit.

I wonder if the OE Lido can grind this fast? The Baratza Preciso almost can...

EricBNC

Re: Lehnartz Turkish Mill - A Lido Like Antique
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
Here is a video showing the process - grinding on the counter slows down the process (16 seconds in the video) - it's faster using two hands in a bicycle type motion.

Lehnartz Turkish Mill Brass Coffee Grinder.avi

The grounds - very nice quality:

Tex

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:18:43 AM »
My Greek brass coffee grinder is now a very good pepper mill. I bought it in the 70's to use with my LP Europiccola, but it never did a good job for espresso.

EricBNC

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
My Greek brass coffee grinder is now a very good pepper mill. I bought it in the 70's to use with my LP Europiccola, but it never did a good job for espresso.
I think the burr design on the Turkish mills available is unusual - not something I have seen in other applications. These older German ones (this one and my KyM at least) share similar burrs to their wood box counter parts. Probably makes a world of difference - to be honest, the taste i get from my  KyM Turkish mill reminds me more of what I get from my Pharos than any other grinding device I own...

EricBNC

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:46:40 PM »
I was curious how coarse this mill can go - Doug at OE concedes that most older hand powered coffee mills that are in decent condition can grind fine enough for espresso - grinding coarse is the tough part for a conical burr grinder. This mill creates grounds as coarse as those in my photo - consistency is poor but the amount of fines (the real culprit that compromises cup quality) seem to be a very low percentage...

Here is what 11 seconds of your time and muscle can do to 16g of beans: