Author Topic: BBQ Roaster  (Read 1992 times)

RobertL

BBQ Roaster
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »
I've been going back and forth with the idea of a bbq roaster for sometime now and I finally took the plunge today. This weekend CRC is having a 50% off sale so I figured why not. I opted for a smaller 2lb drum that is stainless steel, welded construction and hinged on one end versus his aluminum riveted drums that are not hinged. I also bought one of his motors the smaller version that is good for up to 5lbs. Now I will be able to put a dent in my stash and share more coffee with family and friends.

I have been searching the forums and reading up on bbq roasting and it seems like the talk has almost died out. Is that because bbq roasting is not as popular or because there is not a lot to talk about? It seems pretty simple and I get the impression profiling isn't as important with this style of roasting. My grill is from Lowe's it is 48,000 BTU's I think it should get the job done. Any pointers, tips or advice to keep me from burning my beans or myself are welcome. I am sure I will have more questions once it arrives and I start roasting.

Tex

Re: BBQ Roaster
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
Make sure you get specs for anything you buy from Len. ;)

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »
Not going to let it go, Tex, are you?

LOL, if RobertL asks too many questions,
he may find he won't be allowed to buy the product.
He will be excommunicated from the CRC.

Tex

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:37:44 AM »

It was just too funny to let it go.

I do love his dechaffer; simply blow the loose chaff all over the place - what a concept.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:42:24 AM by Tex »

donn

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 09:07:48 AM »
Is that because bbq roasting is not as popular or because there is not a lot to talk about?

Could be some of both.  Note that this is a small group of people, to start with.

Another factor is that everyone has different equipment.  Different models of grill, and then they can get old and rusted.

I didn't get a motor, just turn it by hand.  The main thing I think I need to add is some kind of wind protection, I'm thinking a draft through the box could be part of the reason for some uneven roasts lately.

jimec3

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »

It was just too funny to let it go.

I do love his dechaffer; simply blow the loose chaff all over the place - what a concept.

Tex,
   I think it's set to suck not blow

jands829

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
I have been roasting with my bbq roaster since Feb of this year, I actually roast in my shed where I have little to no wind influence.  I used a webber 480000 btu grill and I have an RK 5lb drum and I love it!  I roast about 5-8lbs every other weed and I use the digital thermometer from from sweet maria's.  If you would like any pictures or questions about set up just let me know.

Offline dickcoffee

• Standard User
  • I'm givin' it away
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:04:08 PM »
If you go to the H-B thread Largest RK Drum you use successfully? started July 8, you'll find some  recent thoughts and experiences with BBQ drum roasting.  I started with a CRC 1 pound drum and learned a lot.  Then I got Len's high speed motor and I use it now with my RK 4 pound drum.  I found Len to be anxious to please and I love my set up with the 36000 btu Weber grill.  Just this morning, even while not feeling all that well, I roasted, bagged and put in the freezer, 8 pounds.  2 each of Brazil (no-name-o from SM), 2 of Peru Andes from Theta Ridge, 2 Sumatra Decaf MWP from Burman's, and 2 Sumatra from Burman's dark roast bundle. There's some interesting threads also at greencoffee.coop.  I'm happy to discuss any questions you have.  FWIW, I would start out with 1/2 the rated capacity.  So, since you bought a 2 pound drum, start with 1 pound charges.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
I started with a CRC 1 pound drum and learned a lot.  Then I got Len's high speed motor and I use it now with my RK 4 pound drum.  I found Len to be anxious to please and I love my set up with the 36000 btu Weber grill.

Don't tell that to Tex.   ;D

Tex,
   I think it's set to suck not blow

Well, it either sucks or blows. The thing I had trouble with when I used this kind of set-up was the hose would get too hot and collapse when doing more than two pounds.
Curly

Same here, and rather than sacrifice my shov vac and its hose, I built my box cooler.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:55:10 PM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
I never got to see if Len's stuff worked or not. That was at the core of any problems I had with the guy!

Between the lack of info and his no return policy, I am skeptical of his good intentions though.

Charly

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »
I've been using an RK drum since they were invented, and I use mine every day, multiple roasts. Just bought my 4th grill and 3'd motor but the drum hasn't worn out yet. Before I have the new grill modified for roasting I hope that someone reading this can let me know how they hold the drum rod up on the side away from the motor. My new monster size motor can hold the weight on it's end no problem. I have been using little steel baskets bolted onto the grill sides with graphite block pillows with rod sized grooves to let the rods sit and spin on. It's got me by all these years but I know damn well that there are high heat resistant bearings somewhere that would hold the rod straight and steady. Graphite wears away slowly, too, and that means adjusting everything, and finding more graphite chunks every so often which is becoming difficult. I looked at the CRC website but I can't see what they use for the heavier drums, and for the small ones it's metal on metal-no bueno, no way. RK site also no help with this.   A link to somewhere that has this explained would really make my day  :)

JW

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
It's got me by all these years but I know damn well that there are high heat resistant bearings somewhere that would hold the rod straight and steady.
Have you thought about ceramic bearings? I know they are high heat resistant and designed for harsh environments.

Tex

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 08:03:51 PM »
It's got me by all these years but I know damn well that there are high heat resistant bearings somewhere that would hold the rod straight and steady.
Have you thought about ceramic bearings? I know they are high heat resistant and designed for harsh environments.

Or maybe just a plain ol' sintered brass bushing?

donn

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
I looked at the CRC website but I can't see what they use for the heavier drums, and for the small ones it's metal on metal-no bueno, no way.

It's metal on metal for me.  I have a 5 lb drum, usually roast about 1 lb, so I suppose it's a small one, but in any case I haven't noticed any problem.  Other than squeaking, which I can cure with some grease once in a while.

Cooler is a cheap box fan pointed up through a hardware cloth tray - just some hardware cloth with the sides folded up.

Charly

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 06:14:19 AM »
I looked at the CRC website but I can't see what they use for the heavier drums, and for the small ones it's metal on metal-no bueno, no way.

It's metal on metal for me.  I have a 5 lb drum, usually roast about 1 lb, so I suppose it's a small one, but in any case I haven't noticed any problem.  Other than squeaking, which I can cure with some grease once in a while.

Cooler is a cheap box fan pointed up through a hardware cloth tray - just some hardware cloth with the sides folded up.

Doing a one lb. roast now and then I guess some squeaking and smoking grease wouldn't be a big deal. 4 or 5 hours average daily roasting of 5 lb batches it's much more than I could handle.  I have a very weird squeak that comes and goes from the middle of the RK drum! Nothing should be rubbing there, so it has to be the 1/2" ss rod being a touch off straight alignment, which also makes the rod ends wobble a bit and wear out the rubber spider that connects to the motor-something that happened more often when I had 3/8" rods in there. I'll see about getting a rod that goes straight through the drum instead of two that go  about 4" into the drum from each side. Maybe a thicker rod. This will be pushing the limits of the drum's longevity. It has roasted 10's of tons of coffee.....
 My cooler is also a big box with ss screening on the bottom, a little door in a bottom corner for easy bean removal, and a fan powerful enough to blow all the beans out on "high". Cooling is plenty fast on "medium". Chaff storms galore but I'm outdoors, in the country. It seems to fertilize the berry bushes next to the porch.